Two Best Dogs!

RSPCA in the news

151 posts in this topic

asal   

Well the rspca has gone on the attack and published this on their facebook page.

RSPCA QLD                                                                                        Like Page

On Thursday, February 27th RSPCA Inspectors executed a search warrant at a property in Redbank Plains as part of an investigation related to a kitten that was brought to RSPCA Wacol on Tuesday night which required urgent veterinary treatment. The kitten was delivered to RSPCA near death. It was cold, semi-comatose, in lateral recumbency, cyanotic (blue from lack of oxygen), gasping for air, with a sub normal temperature and unresponsive. The owner stated that this had happened previously with the kitten and she had cuddled it and it recovered, but no veterinary attention had been sought.

Tests ruled out the possibility of treatment, and the kitten was euthanased as death was imminent and inevitable, and the kitten was suffering. The owner was advised of the euthanasia after it had occurred, just as she was signing surrender forms. She became upset and took the kitten’s body, preventing the possibility of autopsy to determine the cause of the kitten’s poor condition.

The owner of the kitten advised staff that she had the remaining 5 kittens from the litter at home. The matter was referred to the RSPCA Inspectorate for investigation given the concerns in relation to the other animals at the owner’s home. Investigators further established that the same kitten owner had previously surrendered 4 cats to RSPCA on 4 separate occasions since October 2015, and all required urgent veterinary care. Two of those cats were euthanased due to their poor conditions, one died an unassisted death soon after surrender to RSPCA, and the other was treated by RSPCA and ultimately rehomed.

Inspectors executing the warrant this afternoon located 4 dogs, two litters of kittens (8 kittens in total) and 4 adult cats at the property. All animals were not desexed. Prior to Inspectors gaining entry the owner was heard telling her children to flee over the back fence with the body of the deceased kitten, and Inspectors were unable to locate this kitten.

When the owner was questioned in relation to the health of the remaining kittens from the deceased kitten’s litter, she indicated that she had rehomed 4 of those kittens recently, however the condition and location of these kittens is unknown to RSPCA. If anybody has any information in relation to these kittens, or has acquired a kitten from a Redbank Plains property and is concerned for the kitten’s welfare, please contact RSPCA on 1300 264 625.

Inspectors issued an Animal Welfare Direction pursuant to the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 to the owner requiring her to provide treatment to the animals for fleas and worms, attend to the matting of the coat on one of the dogs, and provide treatment of a skin condition on another dog.

RSPCA Inspectors discussed desexing of animals with the owner and she stated she did not require assistance with desexing.

One lady has made this comment below it.

Karen Davis I know the lady involved and the facts are nothing like the story the RSPCA is putting across. They are trying to cover their arse for their own stupidity. Their warrant was incorrect to start with.

Edited by asal

asal   

RSPCA Queensland apologises after euthanasing 11-week-old kitten, Marshmallow

Posted 2ddays ago, updated 2ddays ago
RSPCA Animal Hospital at its headquarters in Qld at Wacol on Brisbane's south-west in December 2012
The RSPCA Animal Hospital is in Wacol, in Brisbane's south-west.(ABC TV News - File Image)
  •  
  •  
  •  

A woman's decision to take an 11-week-old kitten to an RSPCA hospital facility for treatment after it became ill ended in heartbreak, with the kitten being euthanased without consent.

Key points:

• Belinda Stevens said the RSPCA Wacol hospital thought she was a foster carer and euthanased her son's cat
  • Ms Stevens said by the time she was told the cat was being put to sleep it was too late
  • RSPCA Qld said the organisation would be reviewing its communication processes

Brisbane mother Belinda Stevens told ABC Radio Brisbane's Mornings program the family's kitten, Marshmallow, was euthanased at the RSPCA's Wacol facility due to a misunderstanding about its ownership.

"Well, I was at work and my son came down with Marshmallow, who was a bit unsteady on her feet," Ms Stevens told Rebecca Levingston.

"The kids were a bit worried because they hadn't seen her like that before, but she had been like that before and made a full recovery.

"So I'd taken her down to the Wacol RSPCA, obviously to see what was wrong with her."

Warning: This story contains an image that some readers may find disturbing.

Ms Stevens said after stating her name and address to the receptionist, within minutes the vet informed her they had to "put Marshmallow to sleep".

"I didn't even have probably two minutes and the vet came back out," she said.

"I was thinking OK … they've obviously had to sedate her because they have to check her out, and I asked if I could go and see her out the back, and they said no, you have to go to the consultation rooms.

"And I was like what … as soon as I walked into the room and opened the door there was Marshmallow, dead.

"I just broke down in tears, my son broke down in tears. Instead of seeking help we ended up bringing back a dead kitten."

Ms Stevens said there was confusion about whether she was the cat's owner or a foster carer.

"The vet actually turned around and she said, aren't you the foster carers? And I'm like, what?" she said.

"She says, 'I thought you were the foster carers', and I said, 'no, this is my cat and you killed my cat'.

"Nobody really spoke to me after that, except for me grabbing my cat and walking out. It took me about half an hour in their reception area to get names and stuff so I could formally make a complaint.

"They say to me in phone calls that they definitely stuffed up.

"The only thing they're offering at the moment is free cremation or a free adoption later on down the track."

A dead white kitten lays in a teatowel on a scale at the hospital.
Ms Stevens said Marshmellow was euthanased by RSPCA vets without consent.(Supplied)

'It's our fault': RSPCA Qld

RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said the RSPCA believed it was necessary to put Marshmallow down but conceded there was a communication issue.

"I can totally understand that Belinda is heartbroken. There's no doubt about it," Mr Beatty said.

"Basically what happened is, is our veterinary hospital at Wacol is not a public veterinary clinic. It is only for RSPCA animals.

"We really wish it could be a public clinic, but sadly we don't have the funds, so it is purely for RSPCA animals."

Mr Beatty confirmed the confusion stemmed from a mistaken assumption that Ms Stevens was a foster carer and that Marshmallow was a foster kitten.

"When Belinda brought Marshmallow in, the veterinary staff mistakenly assumed that Marshmallow was a foster kitten," he said.

"Certainly, she should have been consulted, but it was presumed that she was a foster carer."

Mr Beatty said based on the severity of Marshmallow's condition, euthanasia was the only humane option.

"To be honest, even if she was a foster carer and Marshmallow was a foster kitten, probably it should have been communicated to her that Marshmallow was going to be euthanased," he said.

"All we can do, and we have done so, we've personally rung her and said how sorry we actually are.

"Undoubtedly in terms of the communication it's out fault — we should have checked to see if she was a foster carer.

"But in terms of Marshmallow needing to be put to sleep, we believe that any other vet would have done exactly the same thing."

Mr Beatty confirmed the RSPCA would be reviewing its communication processes following the incident.

"We're not just reviewing but making certain that something like that never happens again," he said.

"All I can say is, we're sorry."

Boy 'not coping well'

Ms Stevens said what she wanted was to have been consulted on the health of her cat before any further treatment decisions were made.

"They said in order for them to treat Marshmallow I would need to surrender her, and I had not signed any paperwork. No verbal, no written permission, no ID was shown and they went ahead and euthanased her," she said.

"I didn't get an explanation until after the fact. They already had euthanased her — that's when I got an explanation that she had diabetes, apparently, and they didn't have the facilities to treat her and basically ended up killing her."

She said her son was "not coping well" after the incident.

Ms Stevens said if she had been consulted prior to the action being taken, she may have considered consenting to euthanasia.

"If I had been informed, possibly. She had been like that once before and she recovered fully by the next day, but I had no explanation of what had happened or what was wrong with her," she said.

On whether she would take up the RSPCA's offer of free adoption, Ms Stevens said she was too distraught by the experience to consider it.

"I can't, not after this. Not after this. It's like taking away a family member. She was a family member," she said.

"With the cremation, every time I'm going to be thinking, here's Marshmallow … this is what I've got to look at every day, an urn. Because they killed her, and it's a reminder of what they've actually done. I can't do that."

Posted 2ddays ago, updated 2ddays ago

Edited by asal

asal   

well now has been published and her trial by media began

RSPCA investigates woman whose cat was euthanased without consent

Posted Yesterday, updated Yesterday
A white 11 week old kitten sitting on purple bed sheets.
Marshmallow was euthanased by the RSPCA on Tuesday night.(Supplied)
  •  
  •  
  •  

The RSPCA is investigating a woman whose cat was euthanased without consent after reviewing her history of bringing animals in ill health to a facility in Wacol, south-west of Brisbane.

Key points:

• RSPCA has apologised for euthanasing 11-week-old kitten Marshmallow prior to its owner signing paperwork
  • The organisation carried out a search warrant at the owner's home over "concerns in relation to other animals"
  • Belinda Stevens, the owner, alleges the RSPCA is trying to "cover up their wrongdoing"

In a statement, the RSPCA said it executed a search warrant on Thursday as part of an investigation into the death of an 11-week-old kitten named Marshmallow.

Belinda Stevens told ABC Radio Brisbane on Wednesday that she took the family's kitten to the RSPCA after it became "unsteady on its feet".

The RSPCA admitted that a misunderstanding over the cat's ownership led to it being euthanased and apologised for a communication issue with Ms Stevens.

Warning: This story contains an image that some readers may find disturbing.

Claims of multiple deaths

But today the RSPCA said it had come to the organisation's attention that Ms Stevens had five other cats from the same litter in her care at home.

"Investigators established that the same kitten owner had previously surrendered four cats to RSPCA on four separate occasions since October 2015," the RSPCA said.

"All required urgent veterinary care."

The RSPCA said two of the cats were euthanased due to their poor conditions, one died an unassisted death soon after, and the other was treated by the RSPCA and rehomed.

On Thursday investigators located four dogs, eight kittens from two litters, and four adult cats at the property — none of which had been desexed, the organisation said.

In a text to the ABC, Ms Stevens confirmed the RSPCA had attended her property with a search warrant.

The RSPCA entered the property to retrieve the remains of Marshmallow, which Ms Stevens had taken home after the cat was put down.

A dead white kitten lays in a teatowel on a scale at the hospital.
Ms Stevens said Marshmellow was euthanased by RSPCA vets without consent.(Supplied)

Child told to flee, RSPCA says

The RSPCA said prior to entry inspectors heard Ms Stevens "telling her children to flee over the back fence" with Marshmallow's body.

Ms Stevens admitted to the ABC that she had removed Marshmallow from her premises.

"I had removed Marshmallow from my premises … [police] stated they would charge me in with obstruction and tampering with evidence," she said.

"The officer then stated, as I told my 11-year-old daughter to run and hide with Marshmallow, that they were seizing Marshmallow."

The officers did not locate Marshmallow during the search.

Ms Stevens alleges the RSPCA is trying to "cover up their wrong doing".

RSPCA Animal Hospital at its headquarters in Qld at Wacol on Brisbane's south-west in December 2012
The RSPCA Animal Hospital is in Wacol, in Brisbane's south-west.(ABC TV News - File Image)

No charges laid

The RSPCA said Ms Stevens took the kitten's body with her on Tuesday night, preventing the possibility of an autopsy to determine the cause of the kitten's poor condition.

"It was cold, semi-comatose, in lateral recumbency, cyanotic (blue from lack of oxygen), gasping for air with a subnormal temperature, and unresponsive," the RSPCA said.

"The owner stated that this had happened previously with the kitten and she had cuddled it and it recovered, but no veterinary attention had been sought."

Ms Stevens was issued with a welfare directive requiring her to provide treatment to the animals for fleas and worms, attend to the matting of the coat on one of the dogs, and provide treatment of a skin condition on another dog.

She has not been charged with any offences.

Posted Yesterday, updated Yesterday
  • Sad 1

asal   

This is the warrant she was served with.

notice it gives them the right to seize your mobile phone, tablet and computer.  just in case they contain something they can use to convict you.

so even if there is nothing on any of them they are gone indefinitely anyway

I have heard they do it, just didn't believe it until now its there in black and white.

rather totally negates their continuous wailing about lack of power.  in 1990 they already had the power to seize any animal they "formed the opinion" should be seized.. note the wording for all your electronic equipment "reasonable suspects" and it too is gone.

that is a great deal of power with no need to prove their opinion or suspicion and the target? has no avenue of appeal even today over 20 years later.

Not even the police have that unappealable power.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Edited by asal

moosmum   

Great lessons being promoted there. Not. 

Seek treatment, or else. 

But if RSPCA delivers that poorly or in poor faith, and you complain, they will drum the message home.  Seeking treatment there was a bad idea.

If seeking treatment so easily turns into a nightmare how does that help in prevention.

Regardless of the person seeking it.

R.S.P.C.A made a mistake. If this woman has any history worth note it should have been 'noted' before their own mistake.

Edited by moosmum
  • Sad 2

tdierikx   

It certainly does appear that they are retaliating with a witch hunt for any transgressions they can pin on this woman.

Regardless of the fact that she may not necessarily be following best practice with regards to her animals, and seems to be economically challenged (hence fronting up at RSPCA vet)... I'm in agreement with @moosmum that this should have been on their radar BEFORE this incident.

T.

• Like 2

moosmum   

Yep. After their own mistake is not the time to be giving this woman more grief.

Happy Birthday @asal

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

greydobe   

This woman had brought 4 other kittens to the RSPCA all very sick.  She knew the RSPCA is not a private practice and could only treat animals surrendered to them.  She knew this because she had done it 4 times previously.... Five sick kittens , rushing into vet at night...  4 out of 5 too sick to save....  If they DIDNT look into her, I would be more annoyed!!!

asal   

· 10 March 2019 · 

Most nationwide organisations get better at what they do over time.... most, not all. 1f641.png:(
(With thanks to Lindsey for sourcing this item)

Image may contain: text

asal   
Further to the story on Marshmallow.  I do appreciate those of you who have been lucky so far would find her story hard to believe. as for me I know differently after all the lies they told about why they took my dog and that was in November 1999 so they have had over 20 years to learn to get better, seems not

Posted on Facebook 16/3/2010

Belinda Stevens

By way of response to the RSPCA's outrageous lies and accusations, I am requesting the RSPCA publicly release and publish the following documents.
I would also like them to provide sufficient answers to my questions and the supporting evidence.

1. Signed surrender form
2. CCTV footage of those pivotal two minutes in question
3. Evidence used to obtain the entry warrant
4. Authority form for the RSPCA inspectorate to open an investigation
5. Results of ALL tests conducted that were used to arrive at the determination that Marshmallow could not be saved and euthanasia was necessary
6. The video & photographic evidence of Marshmallow's alleged seizures, blue lips, etc.
7. Evidence supporting your claims of "alleged deaths"
8. A signed & sworn affidavit from the veterinarian in question which states the facts as they happened
9. All veterinarian notes pertaining to the incident in question

Your claim regarding the 4 cats previously surrendered by me is the only true statement you have made. However, you neglected to provide accurate context along with it so I will.

As you were made well aware in every one of those instances, 3 of the 4 cats in question were not mine.
I took those cats to the RSPCA because I naively believed that you would provide them with a better life than when I found them. There is now little doubt in my mind as to their fate.
I brought Marshmallow to you when she got sick because I also naively believed you would help, not crucify me.
Since the RSPCA was closest to me, if I'd not taken her in as soon as it became apparent that she wasn't well, travelled to a private veterinarian further away or done nothing at all, would those things not constitute abuse/neglect according to your own standards and expectations?

My kitten became sick. I am not an expert which is why I took her to the so-called experts for help.... who killed her, apologised, then immediately turned on me, twisted the truth and made me out to be an animal abuser.
It's ironic.
If that suggestion and inference contained even a hint of truth, I would not have bothered to seek help for sick animals, whether mine or somebody else's.

So instead of my kitten getting the help she needed, she is now dead and I have been falsely and publicly vilified, harassed and threatened, and all without basis.
All thanks to the RSPCA.

I hate that I ever donated or believed the public facade of the RSPCA; that they are 'experts' in anything other than lying, intimidating and bullying to cover up self-incriminating facts & truths.
Your advertising is deceptive and false.
Its clear that the RSPCA are about everything BUT the animals.

1. How were RSPCA vets able to obtain my signature, run tests and have the results back in under 2 minutes?

2. How could the RSPCA make a decision regarding the required treatment (and so quickly) if they didn't know Marshmallow's condition at the time of euthanising her; if they did know, surely it would mitigate any NEED for an autopsy....?

3. Why would there be a need to raid me in order to retrieve Marshmallow's body for an autopsy IF they already knew the cause of death? Because, according to their statement, they knew exactly what was wrong with her and stated that she could not be saved.
So which is it RSPCA?

4. If the RSPCA have the test results which support their claim that "treatment wasn't an option", why would they STILL require or be demanding her body back for an autopsy? IF they have the results and can prove that is true, why the urgency for an autopsy, but especially one conducted by their own vets?
** The accompanying video taken only minutes prior shows Marshmallow's condition so you can make your own determination.

5. If the RSPCA wanted Marshmallow's body for an autopsy, there would be no need for them to raid me. Why not just ask me and respect my decision as to whether or not I even WANT an autopsy done?

6. Why would the RSPCA suddenly have cause to investigate me immediately after they admitted to screwing up and killing my kitten?
If there were legitimate concerns about the welfare of any one of those cats I surrendered over the past 5 years, why wasn't an investigation commenced prior to this incident?

7. What are these alleged "deaths" referred to in the RSPCA's statement?
At the time of surrendering each one of the cats since 2015, I was informed by RSPCA staff that they would be rehomed. If they were killed, it was not due to MY negligence. I thought that NOT taking stray cats to the RSPCA was negligent.

Ultimately, did the RSPCA raid me due to newly alleged, previous animal 'welfare' concerns or because they wanted Marshmallow's body for an autopsy (which they had no legal right to since I did NOT surrender her)? It can't be both.
Again, which is it RSPCA?

I'd also really like to know, since when did legitimate (RSPCA) investigations BEGIN with a raid?

Edited by asal