Introducing gsp puppy to my 18 month old gsp

Woody2107

That's very exciting.  I guess the best advice is just take it slowly and observe the boy's reactions.  Is he coming with you to pick up the pup?  My last couple of new ones have met the resident dog in the car .. so you need a crate or another person to help manage.  We never quite know what our older dog's reaction will be till we see it .. but being ready for anything, and taking it slowly and calmly is the best start.  I would always try to have at least two people there, and probably have the older dog on a lead or behind a see through fence if outside.   For the pup's sake, try to minimise lots of sqeeeeing and over excitement on the part of humans, and make sure the older dog gets more than his fair share of attention in the first few minutes.   I usually have some super duper high value treats for the older dog, so that he associates really good things with the presence of the pup.

Hopefully you have x pen or something of the sort all ready for the new one, so that the boy can get some respite from the pesky puppy .. or vicve versa.

And don't forget to post the obligatory photos of both pups here!  :laugh:

• Like 1

We tell all our owners to have a puppy pen so the established dog has quality time out & pup has its safe zone,sleep zone  & the not over doing it zone .
We don't encourage owners to bring there current dog as we feel its an important time taking pup home .Place older dog inside & allow pup the freedom to walk about toilet without the overwhelming experince of the older dog.

Hopefully you have put the hard yards in with the older dog around other dogs so it has good manners .

I was very cautious, had a puppy pen set up with places for the puppy to hide if he felt overwhelmed and let them meet through the pen to suss out actions. Then repeated inside the house with another pen. Take it slow and calm. Plenty of time for crazy shenanigans when puppy is bigger and more durable.

I was pleasantly surprised, miss big and over excited was very gentle and considerate - although still quite intimidating for a little puppy. Whenever puppy seemed to be getting overwhelmed (e.g. would roll over or go flat) I would calmly walk between and shoo my older away to allow some space. I didn't leave them alone unsupervised for a full 5 weeks, then slowly started letting them have 5 minutes alone, 10 minutes alone etc.

Puppy's are such fragile things, so I was really mindful of size difference.

5 hours ago, Tassie said:

That's very exciting.  I guess the best advice is just take it slowly and observe the boy's reactions.  Is he coming with you to pick up the pup?  My last couple of new ones have met the resident dog in the car .. so you need a crate or another person to help manage.  We never quite know what our older dog's reaction will be till we see it .. but being ready for anything, and taking it slowly and calmly is the best start.  I would always try to have at least two people there, and probably have the older dog on a lead or behind a see through fence if outside.   For the pup's sake, try to minimise lots of sqeeeeing and over excitement on the part of humans, and make sure the older dog gets more than his fair share of attention in the first few minutes.   I usually have some super duper high value treats for the older dog, so that he associates really good things with the presence of the pup.

Hopefully you have x pen or something of the sort all ready for the new one, so that the boy can get some respite from the pesky puppy .. or vicve versa.

6 hours ago, Tassie said:

I’m only new and can’t work out how to upload pics from my iPhone 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just want to let you all know that while at work today woody decided he would chase the rabbit he saw run past the back of the factory and chase it down he has done this 100,s of times today the rabbit went through the  drain under the train line and woody decided he would go over the top of the train line see rabbit get rabbit as all gsp do the bit he didn’t realise was train driver see dog train driver can’t stop so unfortunately Mr woody’s short 18 months are over 

RIP Mr woody ( big boy)

• Sad 8

10 hours ago, Woody2107 said:

Hi all just want to let you all know that while at work today woody decided he would chase the rabbit he saw run past the back of the factory and chase it down he has done this 100,s of times today the rabbit went through the  drain under the train line and woody decided he would go over the top of the train line see rabbit get rabbit as all gsp do the bit he didn’t realise was train driver see dog train driver can’t stop so unfortunately Mr woody’s short 18 months are over 

RIP Mr woody ( big boy)

How awful. I feel so sorry to hear this bad news. Woody was such a gorgeous looking boy. Take care. My thoughts are with you.

Fly free Woody. :rainbowbridge:

It didn’t happen at home they both come to work every day with me he had been as this job site 17 days straight with no issue even know he was young he always was cautious didn’t cross roads I walked him up and down the train line every morning with no issue