Specially-trained autism assistance dogs helping change the lives of children

DogsAndTheMob

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-26/autism-assistance-dogs-helping-change-lives-of-children/10612064

Excerpt from the news story by Brianna Shepherd:

"He would just sort of loosen from my grip and bolt off without telling me."

But not anymore.

A year ago Blake was matched with Poppy, a black Labrador specially trained by Guide Dogs WA for children with autism and their families.

When out of the home he can be tethered to the dog, which is trained to sit down when the tether is pulled, preventing him from running away.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 1

Without wanting to sound mean, I hope they temperament test the kids also, when some people realize they cant do what they used to be able to do they can have an extinction burst and become violent even the most benign.

31 minutes ago, m-j said:

Without wanting to sound mean, I hope they temperament test the kids also, when some people realize they cant do what they used to be able to do they can have an extinction burst and become violent even the most benign.

I hope so, too. From what I've read, the Guide Dog associations stringently screen clients as well as dogs. Aside from the humanitarian considerations, they have a lot of money invested in the dogs, and reputation invested in their  programs.

I doubt these dogs would be placed WITHOUT assessment of recipients , training, and follow-up.
In my previous life , when placing dogs with special needs kids was in its very early stages ...applications were reviewed and families assessed .Children were 'tested' ... and of course some were found unsuitable to have a  dog  :( Explaining that was one of the most difficult parts of my job .

That was many years ago ..& I am guessing that things have only improved  :)
It is a wonderful  thing , and should provide a calming and grounding  presence for child and family  :love: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DogsAndTheMob said:

I hope so, too. From what I've read, the Guide Dog associations stringently screen clients as well as dogs. Aside from the humanitarian considerations, they have a lot of money invested in the dogs, and reputation invested in their  programs.

Many years ago in Melbourne, I saw a blind man belt his guide dog on the backside with a leash after it dragged him across a road to another dog that was barking at them from behind a fence. Some assistance dog people make it appear that the dogs will respond perfectly all of the time, like robots.

Autism anchor dogs have been around for years. The hard part is to get them to respond only to the child's carer and not walk off with the child.