A strange puppy Tale. (Not tail)

Sunny1979

On 1/5/2019 at 12:56 PM, persephone said:

:rofl:   sure that's not "son-of-a- bitch"  ??

Anyway . 

keep sessions short and fun!!  2 minutes , even!! ALWAYS , ALWAYS end on a HIGH :) Then a memory is in his little brain  of happy ..just happy :)

I enjoy watching these little videos ... some of it is what I do with our puppies ... as I'm useless using a clicker , , and my timing is always a bit 'slow '  ;) 

With baby pups ..the method shown in video  takes a little patience and  concentration ..but ...watch closely !! NO voice commands at first !! Cos pups don't know Our Speech  :) 
Pups ARE smart ..and they very quickly learn that doing xyz  gets them  something  :) 
Pups we have now  learned in just a few minutes  that food bowls would stay empty  unless they had bums on the ground for more than 2 seconds :)..I did NOT use my voice ..and THEY  made the decision 
The gate on their pen  will only open  if bums are on the ground ..AND I have used my voice  to quietly praise them without them getting up :)

When a puppy makes a decision which  gives them a reward ( or a bad experience )  this is  remembered . A couple of practices ..and praise ..ALWAYS calm and quiet  from an owner ..and  that behaviour will stick!!

You have children ? Can they 'push your buttons' to get a reaction? Do they sit , gaaaze at you with HUGE eyes /help you with chores, unasked,   to encourage you to give them praise ? They've done what puppies do :)

VIDEO to watch  :) CLICK HERE

Video  to watch      CLICK HERE

And one other ...CLICK HERE  self control

Only If every dog owner/lover could see these videos before getting a puppy.

I wish I would have done extra research work before getting a puppy. Seems like tuffy would be my experimental kid.   We gave him free access to house loads of love, this has spoiled him so much.  Today when we restricted his access poor guy kept barking,  hate taking freedom from him still. 

Ok I would like to discuss another possible training opportunity.

Tuffy Sleeps in same room as us. He will usually come running to me on bed and jump his front legs. So his half body is on floor and 2 legs up on bed. He will start biting the blanket very hard and wont stop. If I move the blanket away he will bark very aggressively and if he can get his mouth near my hand or feet he will try to bite with aggression. Any idea how to stop this behavior?

I think Tuffy might benefit from NILIF training methods...

http://k9protraining.com.au/2007/03/07/nilif-nothing-in-life-is-free/

... now is when you need to be setting his boundaries, as he's obviously getting more confident and pushing them... *grin*

As for his testicles, I would have the vet check them when you next need to go... don't panic just yet, some puppies descend a bit later sometimes. I've had pups not descend until around 12 weeks or more...

T.

• Like 3

It won't hurt Tuffy   to have boundaries established for his behaviour .. although he might try to convince you that he's being badly treated, and he will likely have temper tantrums .. he's a baby becoming a toddler.     Puppies coming into my house do not have free run of the house the whole time.  At night they sleep in crates beside my bed ..we have a bedtime routine .. outside on lead for toilet, inside to pick up treats, then off to the bedroom  to get in the crate .. get treats, door shut, crate covered if it's not too hot, and goodnight.   If puppy stirs in the night, I can just put my fingers in the crate, to settle pup down again .. or when they're very little, get them out of the rate, on lead, outside to toilet, thenthe bedtime routine again.     For my pups, crate time is very special .. their meals are fed in the crate, their best treats come when they're in their crate for nap time , and they have to sit politely (as they do at doors, gates, car door etc., for permission to get out.   It's just habit after a while.  But you need to be consistent.

I also use x pens to limit the pup's freedom to roam in the hose when they are young.  Once they can be trusted, the x pen can go .. but it's handy if for instance you have visitors and want the pup to be safe and calm and not bugging, or being bugged by the visitors.

Each puppy we get improves our skills as dog trainers and responsible owners .. but that doesn't mean we get it right all the time.   Just today, I was laughing when I read a comment from a trainer in an online course I'm doing...  this was reviewing a video of some work with my 22 month old Border Collie pup.   .."Don't let her dictate to you when it's her turn..... She needs to learn to be patient. she is a really smart girl and i think will always try to push to see what she can get away with."    And I've owned and been training dogs for over 30 years … so I really should know better.   But each puppy challenges us to do better.

You are doing a great jov of observing Tuffy's behaviour, and finding out information about what 

Edited by Tassie
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, persephone said:

aggression ? or play ? 

I will share the video

Tuffy Jumping on bed - https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9dhFbfhiwNdjKu96

Tuffy Bit me-  https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhJpq4xxPb39UG7z8  

Please also see if Tuffy is skinny? He is not roly poly like other puppy videos on internet. 

Edited by Sunny1979

Persephone

I would like to thank you for sharing Donna Hill Video. I tried to do the same with Mr. Tuffy.  He bit me once while doing it, however I see a lot of Improvement in tuffy.  After 15-20 attempts he has started to understand the game. So he will put his head down for treat.

I have posted videos of Tuffy Jumping on bed. This is a similar situation recorded today on phone. Usually he grab blanket and then barks, today i was ready and moved blanket out of his reach. I was working on laptop and he was playing with Kong toy filled with peanut butter  and making loud growling noise.   Is this  play or aggression? 

So far I have been putting a treat on floor. But seems he doesn't want to stop jumping.

Tassie

Yes we are investing in a crate today evening, even if it costs Tuffy's Freedom. We cant sleep in night fearing that he might bite us . Yes we allowed free run but paying a huge price when we try to restrict his access now. He is whining and barking when blocked outside.

Thanx for suggesting x pen, I will read on internet about it. We are going to buy crate and clicker today itself.

Edited by Sunny1979
  • Like 3

I watched those videos.  Not so much the first, but in the second it looks to me as though Tuffy is being allowed to get over excited.  He is a baby remember.   He certainly looks as though he is playing in the first one, but the barking and jumping are allowed to go on for too long and Tuffy ends up over stimulated and dissatisfied.  Obviously he needs games and play time, but there is a difference between that and encouraging behaviours that lead to over excitement and frustration for him.   

• Like 2

Loving my Oldies what do u suggest?  How do I tell him to stop barking and Jumping.  Can u suggest how to kill his over excitement?  

After eating dinner, he will usually pick his favorite soft toy a FISH and drop it on my feet.  He expects me to play with it. I would only play if he doesn't jump on me. Then he would run around and growl very aggressively. 

What I have tried so far:

I am giving treats when he sits down and doesn't jump on bed. 

I have followed all videos shared by persephone, seems he will only obey me till i have food in my hand. After food is finished he is like " Your not my parent anymore"

Tuffy is in beautiful condition... not fat and not skinny... perfect!

The barking and biting looks like he's trying to tell you what he wants (barking), and when he doesn't get it, he is trying harder (biting)... he wants to play, but if it's not time for play, he's pushing the boundaries to get your attention any way he can. This is where a crate will be very helpful... he will have to learn that quiet time is quiet time (and that you need to sleep sometimes). Also remember that he is growing, and it won't be long before he works out how to get ON the bed when he wants...

As for not obeying unless there is food... maybe try changing up his rewards for good behaviour - does he have a favourite toy you can sometimes use as a reward for doing what you want? A tug rope or teddy bear for example. So sometimes he will get food, sometimes he will get praise and a pat, and sometimes he will get a quick tug session with a toy... keep him guessing as to what reward he will get for doing good things.

T.

• Like 3

I have looked at both videos  -and I did not see any aggression - I saw a happy, confident puppy who wanted attention and has worked out how to get it.

Extremely difficult, but when those needles (teeth :-)) nip, jumping and going 'ouch' is a perfect response in his world - so much fun.

I think he is a cheeky poppitt who knows he is well loved and the centre of attention - and boy, is he is doing what any youngster (dog or child) will do.  

An idea is if he is barking and bouncing for attention - try growling (literally grrrrrr - doesn't need to be over loud or threatening, it is an expression of displeasure - mid level volume  and 'sharp/quick' - hard to explain, think verbal nose tap) and then ignore him.  Often that works.  The plan is that the 'grrr' would have him putting 4 feet back on the ground and stopping the bark, and then ignoring him is 'oh - well that didn't work'.    

Think a child coming up constantly and interrupting an adult conversation (attention seeking interruption - not something wrong) and every time the adult conversation stops, both adults acknowledge the child, one of them bends down to eye level and spends time explaining that they are talking and they really, really will play after, but would it be ok if they let mummy have a few minutes to talk with their friend, they then walk the child back to wherever they were playing etc etc.  The child comes back 5 mins later and the whole thing is repeated.  Each time the child gets 5 mins of attention - they don't care that the adult has said "NO' - they wanted attention and that's what they got.

The other option is, first time there child interrupts, make sure nothing is wrong, and do what happened in the other example (explain, walk the child back to the play area etc), the next interruption adult looks at the child and says  'enough - I told you not to interrupt, go back to playing please' and then goes back to the conversation - neither adult stops talking to each other and ignore that the child then sits on the floor, tugs on mums dress and then moves around in eye line of the adults.  After about 2 mins the child goes back to playing - they wanted attention and they didn't get it.  Without the 'reward' of attention it was boring.

Obviously this is not every time - children (and pups) thrive on interaction and fun.  But sometimes you need to be the adult in the relationship and set the boundaries.  There is a time for play, and a time for quiet.  And quiet usually starts with no stimulii

(all of this is easier said than done - pups are cute and who can't smile just by looking at them :-))

• Like 4

He's quite clever at training you to pay attention to him when he carries on isn't he?:laugh:

My method when puppies do this is to ham it up and look totally offended, stiff body, gasp with horror and turn a cold shoulder. Puppies that haven't been taken from the nest too young usually understand this body language very well and will back off and reconsider their actions - ""oops, I've horrified my human, what did I do wrong?" Then while they're sitting quietly trying to work out why their plan to get you to to play didn't work, you can be very instantly pleased and show happy but calm body lady language and gentle praise that wow! Good Puppy sits patiently!

If puppy doesn't cease the attention seeking behaviour within 30 seconds then I will give a command to sit or drop or go to bed, whichever he knows and when puppy does as asked I instantly turn into rainbows and lollipops and praise - not excitedly as when I'm in training mode, but gently, so they know they are doing the right thing but don't get over excited. Sometimes at first you may need Oscar star qualities to switch back and forth between "shocked at puppy behavior" and "very pleased with puppy behaviour" :laugh: but I've found that even the dumbest puppy will pick it up fairly quickly if you are consistent and quick enough so that puppy can link your reaction to the actual behavior.

Puppies that ignore the command and don't respond at all to the will get 'time out'  in a safe place like a bathroom for a few minutes. I carry them there at arms length, with averted face, so that they know I am upset with them. Body language again. I don't use their crate or pen as the time out place, because I want that to be their happy place while they are learning, but some do and make it work.

It is really important for you to have lots of quality time and short training sessions and play sessions with your puppy, but it is very important that YOU decide when those frequent times will be and don't let puppy be the boss.

• Like 2

It can be tricky to interpret dog language ... 
It seems he is being like a human toddler .. I want to play ! NOW ! I SAY ...NOW!!!

If he has been to toilet  etc ... IGNORE. 
TOTALLY .

no eye contact at all . look at the ceiling . 
no hand stretched out or moved.

absolutely do not use his name ...or speak . .

gather up the blanket ..and just breathe slowly ..turn your head ..and look away . he WILL give up eventually . It may take several minutes . 

NO praise or speech when he stops . Just carry on as normal ..s  l  o..w..l..y  and with purpose ..and ONLY praise him when you then ask him to sit , or come to you , and he does  :) Then he gets all the love there is :D  ( CALMLY ) 
Do this EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

it will usually work .
|NOT the first time or two ..but it will :)

We currently have 2 pups amongst our lot .. and these learned it quite fast .....they know that they will ONLY get our attention if their backsides (or at least 4 feet) are on the ground , and they are not being noisy and/or silly :)  being boys, and brothers ...well... they need a lot of practice    :rofl:   

• Like 3

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, Sunny1979 said:

Persephone

I would like to thank you for sharing Donna Hill Video. I tried to do the same with Mr. Tuffy.  He bit me once while doing it, however I see a lot of Improvement in tuffy.  After 15-20 attempts he has started to understand the game. So he will put his head down for treat.

I have posted videos of Tuffy Jumping on bed. This is a similar situation recorded today on phone. Usually he grab blanket and then barks, today i was ready and moved blanket out of his reach. I was working on laptop and he was playing with Kong toy filled with peanut butter  and making loud growling noise.   Is this  play or aggression? 

So far I have been putting a treat on floor. But seems he doesn't want to stop jumping.

Tassie

Yes we are investing in a crate today evening, even if it costs Tuffy's Freedom. We cant sleep in night fearing that he might bite us . Yes we allowed free run but paying a huge price when we try to restrict his access now. He is whining and barking when blocked outside.

Thanx for suggesting x pen, I will read on internet about it. We are going to buy crate and clicker today itself.

Please don't think of the crate (or xpen) in terms of "restricting Tuffy's freedom".  Yes, it does that .. but is part of teaching Tuffy some boundaries, and giving him a safe place where he can't be pushing you for attention, or getting into trouble, and where he can learn to relax.

Funny story … my pushy little 22 month old Border Collie girl has been crate trained from the start.  She has always had her meals in a crate, whether at my house, or when we're staying in dog friendly accommodation in another city.  Today at lunchtime, the dogs were getting some oil out of a can of tuna in their bowls, as a special treat.  My Pippa puppy turned to run to her crate … but it wasn't there .. had it up to wash the floor.     She was such a puzzled puppy, but accepted that it was OK when I put the bowl down in the position in the room where the rate would be.

And reading what @persephone was saying about dealing with a pushy toddler …. it truly is not easy, especially when they do cute and adorable so well.   I'm an experienced dog owner, trainer and instructor …. but this week I still needed someone watching a training video to point out that while I was busy training my older dog, I let my youngster get away with backchatting me, and pushing me to do what she wanted, when she wanted it ….. and I do know better :rofl:.   So just as you can't expect Tuffy to be perfect straight awy, be kind to yourself too, and don't expect too much of yourself.   We all make mistakes, and learn as we go on.   The important thing is to work out what the boundaries and rules are .. dogs like to know those, even if they rebel sometimes .. just like people, then teach them to the puppy .. good things happen to puppies who do the what we are teaching them,  not if they don't. but we will patiently keep showing them and being consistent, and rewarding a darned good try.  It's a lifelong journey, based on a caring and loving relationship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pups make all sorts of growly noises when they play ...so that's probably what Tuffy;s doing :) They growl and bark  at toys/humans and shadows ....  

he 'bites' you . 
well yes, he does , because he doesn' have fingers to grab you with  ;) 

have a look at the info on THIS SITE  (click here ) it may give you some ideas 

It is still bad manners  though ..but NORMALLY  just means playing , or frustration .

Edited by persephone
  • Like 3

Oh ..and   A TIRED PUP IS A GOOD PUP. 

several short training sessions ... some good games of tug ,fetch ,or find the toy ... feed him his meals in the KONG , so he is verty actively using his body & brain .
if you have a car ..take him for rides ... 

• Like 4

Hey guys,

A special Thanx to  Persephone, Tassie,  tdierikxLoving my Oldies for your ongoing support and willingness to help.

Last week update on tuffy

Potty Training- No potty inside house for last 1 week,   3 times he pee inside house in last week  5 times he peed in my balcony.    Every time he pee in correct place he gets a reward.

Biting and Chewing- He only bites me while playing and then goes with head down after I go OUCH, I also move out  when he plays very aggressively.  so i got bitten 3 times in last week with 1 major blood and I myself got vaccinated for tetanus and rabies.

Chewing is a major problem, we got him many toys but seems he only wants slippers and furniture and even our walls. He is biting corners of walls. We cant keep him in crate all day. 

Vaacination

3rd Vaccination done for tuffy after 4th is due on 9th feb -  he can go out on walks.. Yay I am more excited then tuffy.  

Training

Tuffy has now learnt the following commands

SIT -

UP - Works only with food

COME

LAY DOWN

ROLL- AFTER LAYING DOWN - Only works with food in hand

Spin- While standing

Shake hand - Paw

High Five

Easy- Go easy taking food from my hand

GO TO BED - Bedtime

Aggressive No- When he is misbehaving

Behave- While running on couch, he will lay down

1 2 3 GO - Runs after a Ball or any other object and fetch it back

He has trouble understanding the following commands

Wait- He cant understand wait,  He will follow me as soon as I stand and move.

Leave IT - I use a treat and drop it on floor- but this only works for him when I have a treat. He wont leave if I don't have a treat

Chewing our clothes while walking - We will stay PUT  and offer him toy or treat then only he will leave us. If no treat he wont leave biting clothes while walking.

He jumps on us while we are eating food and tries to grab him-  I am currently searching articles on internet on how to train him not to grab food from our hands.

Some pics of Tuffy strange way of sleeping-

He will jump on couch when I am watching TV with me and lie down on his back and sleep. Posting a small video for you guys. Sorry for exposing tuffy's privates.  My mum got offended by this video  :) hope you guys are cool with it.

Tuffy Sleeping  On His back Video - 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nnnm2SV2UAumYxBz9

Tuffy eating pic

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bhXrFJemYHhLGpyc6

Many of the video's worked great for tuffy, some did not but anyway  we are both learning  by trial and error.

• Like 3

@Sunny1979, it sounds as though you're making good progress with Tuffy, and that you're starting to really enjoy him.   Just remember, he is still a baby, becoming a toddler, so some things he will learn quickly, others not so quickly, and like a human toddler, he will sometimes forget things, or make not so good choices.

Learning behaviours that we want, is an ongoing process, rather than a tick off list.   So it's helpful to think of each behaviour as a work in preogress, that you will gradually be able to grow and improve.    I'm thinking particularly of the "Wait" cue.   (Notice that in modern dog training, we use "cue" - a word and or physical signal that is attached to a behaviour and prompts the dog to do it.  We tend not to use "command", because that suggests do this thing or else ,,,,.     It's a small point, but it does tend to change our way of looking at our training, and assessing how it's going.)

So for the Wait .. think about what the finished behaviour will look like, then break it down into very small segments, and gradually build it up.   So it might be "can you wait in that place/or in that position while I move away from you ...maybe one step and then return - maybe only moving say your right foot, and then back .. mark and reward success.  Then you would very gradually increase distance, or duration in tiny increments .. not both at once.  You'd also start in a low distraction area, and gradually add more distractions as the pup begins to understand what you're asking.   So you will be progressively increasing distance, duration/time, and distractions, as Tuffy has success.   The basic rule is not to make things more difficult till you're having 80% or better success at one level.  You can also "yo-yo" around with distance and time .. some shorter, some longer, but with the average gradually increasing.      The wait will also become clearer to Tuffy if you are clear and consistent in what you are expecting.  If you are returning to Tuffy to reward, you will mark and reward when you get back.  If you are going to want Tuffy to come to you, than you need to make that clear by using his release word to give him permission to break the wait.    I use the same release word I use for permission to go out a door, get out of the car, etc.

The biting clothes thing will eventually go away as he gets older .. again, you just need to be consistent in the interrupt/replace with a toy … every time.    I think it took about 3 wees of that to get rid of trackpant tugging with my boy when he was a pup.

And as for chewing things left lying within the puppy's reach … ummm…. I eventually learnt to pick things up and put them out of reach. … consistently.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sunny1979 said:

I am currently searching articles on internet on how to train him not to grab food from our hands.

I give the food on my fist one bit at a time ..pups don't get any food until they take their mouths off my skin  and sit .They mouth and wriggle ..but catch on very quickly :)

• Like 3