Dog Poo Composting

kwirky

Does anyone use a compost bin for dog poo? I have Murphy, a champion poo maker (4 bags a day from 2 walks), who is a large golden retriever and we currently collect the poo in a nappy bin (in the bags) and then this is thrown out with the general waste and the smell when the lid is open is extraordinary to say the very least!

I would like to have an above ground compost bin which needs to be in the full sun as the back yard is always in full sun. Is this doable?

Also I have compostable poo bags (from Oh Crap!) so should they be able to be added also? 

I think that it would be a case of putting in Murphy's offerings in the bin, covering this with some soil or wood shavings (how much is some?) and occassionally adding an accelerate. Would this be accurate or am I missing something?

Also what do you do with the compost or does it just break down?

Many thanks :)

You can build a doggy doo composting worm farm easily. Just use the standard composting worms that you buy. Just remember that after worming your dog you should dispose of the dropping elsewhere for two weeks, as the intestinal wormers cam kill your composting worms too.

You get lovely composted juice that you can dilute and fertilise your garden with! (Not veges or fruit though).

Some hints here: good luck!

• Like 2

I was reading about this the other day. Here are some tips from this article

Why dog poo can become a nutrient

Rather than becoming a pollutant, dog poo can become a nutrient for your garden, by being composted in your backyard.

If you have a garden you can make your own compost bin by adding the dog poo to grass clippings, plant or other organic waste, and even sawdust as a source of food for the microbes. The microbes then break down the organic material into humus. During this process the temperature in the compost mixture rises to 50-60℃. Over time, the heat will kill most canine bacteria, as they are adapted to live at lower temperatures in the dog’s gut.

Compost contains billions of microbes per gram of material and competition from these (as well as the environmental conditions of the compost that are very different from the dog digestive system) assist in promoting destruction of pathogenic canine microbes, if present.

The compost needs to be turned over weekly to ensure uniform composing and oxygenation. Over days or weeks the temperature in the compost drops, indicating when the decomposition process is complete.

Then it’s time to use your compost to improve your garden!

A couple of dog-do dont’s:

• Don’t include waste from unknown dogs or from dogs that show signs of disease

• Avoid using it on vegetables for human consumption.

If you live in an apartment and don’t have a garden or access to green waste, you can still compost dog poo and use the product. There are small compost bins commercially available for this purpose. Composted material from these can be used on your outdoor or indoor plants.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We made a compost bin for our two dog's poop recently. We bought a plastic garbage can and then drilled holes in it it every two inches or so. Then we put some soil in and bought some worms for fishing and dumped them in too. We feed our pets a raw diet so they have dry crumbly poop it seems as if the worms are breaking it down though. This might help: https://www.wikihow.com/Compost-Dog-Poop

Guest crazydoglady99

We have dung beetles that eat & bury the poo. It's a certain species apparently.  Haven't picked up poo since we bought the beetles! (Excluding walks, but I empty the bag of poo onto the lawn when I get home from walkies)

8 hours ago, crazydoglady99 said:

We have dung beetles that eat & bury the poo. It's a certain species apparently.  Haven't picked up poo since we bought the beetles! (Excluding walks, but I empty the bag of poo onto the lawn when I get home from walkies)

I was aware that a species of beetle had been imported some years back for parks etc. but i didn't know that you could buy them! Alas, a quick google shows that they are out of my budget range at the moment, so I'll stick with the worms.

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh yes it was a big investment!

We actually wanted them more for aerating the lawn.. our house was leased to DHA for 18years before we get bought it, so the yard had zero maintenance, just a piles of tan bark covering up everything. There was no grass, just overgrown trees and stuff.

Anyway, they've been fabulous for the ground so far, and the dog poop cleanup is a mega bonus!!

(OH was very skeptical about it all)

I'm sure a few people think we're a bit cuckoo, but we are very into composting and returning back all we take from the soil etc. Even when I clip the dogs the hair goes back in the compost :laugh:

I think the lady that has a business here selling them in ACT is trying to work out how to get them in parks, ovals etc. Wouldn't that be great!!!

Edited by crazydoglady99

• 3 weeks later...

We have an Ensopet system. It’s been going for a good while and so far no smell, the only hard part was digging the hole.We have two medium sized dogs but they do tend to poo on walks so am guessing it is being fed about 1 to 2 poos every couple of days. I like the fact it is all in one box and so simple to set up and use.

Dog Compost kit

Guest crazydoglady99

I been thinking about this thread actually.. and provided you weren't planning on fertilizing the veggie patch with it :vomit: how fabulous is the idea of scooping the doggie poop into a compost bin and letting nature do its thing - very cool. Why didnt I think of this :noidea: