Getting our second dog next week

HunterDoggy

Hi everyone,

We already have a dog and we are getting another next week. They are both male, same breed and both a similar age. We are excited but I’m also a bit nervous. I want things to go well and I want them to be good doggy friends. Does anyone have any tips on how to make things go smoothly?

We plan to introduce them in an outdoor place they have both never been and go for a walk together before we take them home together.

Congratulations!  Are they both desexed?  If not you may have posturing although outright fights are unlikely with cavaliers. :)

So exciting! We expect pictures of both!

The very best tip I can can give is for you ro be relaxed with them both, but be alert and carefully watch their body language. For the first week or so, just make sure that each little fellow has his own separate safe space. In the same room is good so they can see and smell each other. :) 

Congratulations!!

As RuralPug says:  relax and enjoy them.  Dogs will pick up on your nervousness and wonder what is wrong and will in turn become stressed.  Easier written here than done :laugh:  :laugh:.  They’ll probably be so darned happy to have each other.  

Pix in due course, please.   

Personally just introduce at home .The new dog will already be overwhelmed going to a new place,a walk in an unknown area ,with people  & a dog it doesn't now.
As for making them friends there are no crystal balls for that .Providing your first dog is actually ready for a new friend & is happy to share you then thats a good start .

I would suggest bring the new dog home .Someone stays home with it whilst the other person takes the established dog out for a walk or a car drive.
The new dog can have a sniff & look around without the other dog then just take it from there .Meet in the front garden & then go from there .

• Like 2

Admittedly my experience is with small dogs, but I have never done the “meet on neutral ground” thing - I’ve always had too many of my own :o  :o.  New dogs have always been brought straight into the family.  I have a large back yard though and generally shut my dogs away and let the new one explore and gradually let the others out as meeting half a dozen new dogs all scrambling to have a sniff can be a bit overwhelming  :eek:  :eek:.  

Thanks guys, that’s very helpful. If that’s what you suggest then I may as well do that and just introduce them at home! And honestly I’m not sure how well the new dog is going to be on a lead anyway as it’s coming from a breeders home where they haven’t been walked other than to be taken to the vet. I’ll be sure to update and add some photos once things have settled :) Thanks again. If anyone has any extra tips then send them my way!

2 hours ago, HunterDoggy said:

Thanks again. If anyone has any extra tips then send them my way!

Most times, our anxieties are disproven LOL.   I have a foster dog at the moment (male toy poodle) who, according to his rescuer, has spent his nine years in the back yard, no access to the house and just fed kibble.  Taking this into account, I reckon he is doing brilliantly.  Still the occasional pee in the house, but that is to be expected.  All over the place on the lead out walking, but that is to be expected (and I am walking five little dogs).  Goes apeshit when he sees other dogs, but absolutely loves people especially children.   This will improve as he encounters more and more dogs and has more and more experiences.   He has learnt a lot in the brief time he has been here too.  I’m impressed.  He does not jump up on the bed until invited, he does not jump up on me until invited and he goes easily into his crate for meal times (twice daily) - this latter really scared him initially.  

Main thing is not to expect too much (or too little), just remember where your new boy has come from, his limited experiences of all things, don’t over react, just behave normally and insert gentle training into everyday life and be consistent.  Allow him to settle in for a day or two before you start insisting on whatever rules are the most important to you.

And the main extra tip??  Have fun!!!

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1