Snook

Dog rocks and dog not drinking water

27 posts in this topic

Snook   

Justice's pee has been killing my friend's lawn when he visits so I decided to dry using one of the dog rocks in his water bowl, as that's what my friend has done with her dog. I put it in a bowl with 2 litres of water before we went to bed last night and he hasn't touched the water at all, despite it being 27C today. He normally drinks just shy of 2 litres most days. He had a drink after our walk earlier today but that was from a bottle of water I took out with us that hasn't had the dog rock in it. 

He's 13 and doesn't do great with the warmer weather, so I'm getting a bit stressed that he hasn't touched his water bowl for so long. I even put a bit of the water in a glass and tried it myself to make sure it didn't make the water taste bad and it seemed just like normal tap water to me, although maybe it smells off to him? Are there some dogs who just won't drink if dog rocks have been in the water? Is there any way to work on getting him used to it or, given his age and that it's summer, should I just abandon the idea and my friend will either have to come here with her dog or accept that he's going to kill her lawn? (She hasn't asked me to do this BTW, she just mentioned the grass and I felt bad because I know she's trying to grow her lawn.. I don't have any grass so had no idea it was an issue). 

Snook   

I ended up giving him a bowl of fresh water just after I posted this and he's had a couple of big drinks from it. A friend suggested using a black bowl so that the rock isn't so easily seen as that worked for her dog, so I'll have a look and see if I can find something suitable. Until then I'll skip the rock unless someone has another idea, as I can't have Justice not drinking. 

• Like 2

Someone once gave me some of those rocks and personally I don’t think they work. My girls drank from the bowls with the rocks with no dramas but spots still appeared on the grass. 

RuralPug   

Instead of finding a black drinking bowl, just find a small bucket or large jug and put the dog rock in that. Refill his water bowl from the container that has the dog rock in it.

• Like 1

Snook   

I've seen some mixed reviews since I started searching for solutions to not drinking today. Some people swear by them and others say they don't work. The company says they're not effective with dogs who have a high protein or meat based diet, and recommend feeding kibble if using them, so it may not work anyway since I'm in the process of switching Justice to a completely raw diet. I thought it was worth a shot for the sake of my friend's lawn though. 

• Like 1

Snook   

Rural Pug, I did see that under the FAQ on the Dog Rocks website and they say that it's not as effective as leaving the rock sitting in the water bowl and just topping up the water, although they don't explain why that is. It's certainly an option though. 

juice   

I bought some about 3 months ago now and had the same problem , I bought a big black plastic bowl from Bunnings , but they won’t put their face fully in and the water goes everywhere! 

I am vigilant with just topping up and changing it only every few days but so far I still have fresh burn marks on the lawn so I’m giving up . 

I bought 3 large bags too as you have to have a certain amount per litre and mine drink heaps . 

Snook   

How frustrating for you, Juice. Thankfully I was able to just buy a single rock which is supposed to last two months and allows for up to 2 litres of water, which is exactly how much Justice's current bowl takes and he goes through just under a bowl a day. Are you feeding a high protein or raw diet? Apparently it doesn't work terribly well unless dogs are on a kibble diet, so I'm not super hopeful that it will work for Justice. If it doesn't I'll just give the rock to my friend for when her dog's needs to be replaced. 

Dogsfevr   

I would tell friend to come to you if it’s that big a deal for them .

Dog needs to drink 

Snook   

I clearly said she hadn't asked me to do this and she didn't make a big deal out of her lawn being killed, I just feel bad because it's her new home and garden and she's already spent time fixing areas he's killed off and holes he's dug (along with holes her dog has dug). She doesn't even know that I'm trying dog rocks. Of course dogs need to drink, which is why I put down fresh water earlier and asked if anyone had ideas that might work. I've removed the dog rock from his usual bowl and refilled it with fresh water and I'll try again with a black bowl once I find one. Failing that, I'll try Rural Pug's suggestion and if that doesn't work, I'll give the rock to my friend for her dog, who will drink with it in her bowl, and my dog will continue to kill her lawn off when he visits. 

Diva   
3 hours ago, RuralPug said:

Instead of finding a black drinking bowl, just find a small bucket or large jug and put the dog rock in that. Refill his water bowl from the container that has the dog rock in it.

That is a good idea. Mine just stuck their heads in the water bowls and lifted the rocks out, so for that and any evidence of improvement in the lawn I gave up on them. 

• Haha 1

Personal, I'd do a lot of research before using dog rocks.  Messing with the chemistry of urine sounds like it could create big problems, especially for an older dog.  Maybe your dog is right to avoid the stuff. I looked at their website and they say it was tested...the question is how was it tested? 

Boronia   
7 hours ago, Diva said:

That is a good idea. Mine just stuck their heads in the water bowls and lifted the rocks out, so for that and any evidence of improvement in the lawn I gave up on them. 

:laugh:

juice   

I don’t feed raw , kibble , weight management. 

I never had a problem with lots of males as they cocked their leg up the fence ! 

Snook   

Sandgrubber, I've just spent the last hour trying to do more research and there is surprisingly little information out there. Altering the pH balance can cause significant health problems, which is what people are doing when they add things like apple cider vinegar to their dog's water, but the rocks supposedly don't alter the pH. I haven't been able to find anything about side effects of reducing nitrates in dog urine, although maybe that in and of itself is reason enough to not use them? There's no information at all that I could find about what was involved with the testing by the company, and a few articles looking in to them said the same thing. I don't know.. maybe it's better for Justice if I just forget the whole thing and instead offer to hose down my friend's lawn after each visit. 

That's interesting about it not working on a kibble diet, juice. Justice cocks his leg all over the fence at home but at my friend's he does it on her bushes and on the lawn when he's pottering about in between playing with her dog. 

If you're switching him to raw.. this should actually solve the pee-burning-grass issue. 

Many years ago.. I too bought dog rocks.. because my boys' pee was burning patches in the lawn.. 

Once I got him off the kibble (which was the only food he would eat!) And completely on a raw diet - no more burn patches. And haven't had any since.

Give Justice a kiss from us, we miss you!  :wave:

Snook   

That's really interesting, crazydoglady. My understanding is that a raw diet results in a better pH balance and might reduce burns from that perspective, but increases nitrates and the nitrates can burn the grass (which is what dog rocks are trying to correct and why they say they are unlikely to work for dogs on a raw diet). I guess time will tell! He's doing well so far on the Big Dog Patties so fingers crossed that continues. 

It's lovely to see you on here and I'm sure Justice will be delighted with his kiss. :)

• Like 2

I've been meaning to pop in and say..

I read that you're not so keen or confident in doing a DIY raw diet for Justice - that's perfectly understandable!

Just a suggestion..  for the sake of your purse, your sanity and variety..

Scrambled eggs are a great, easy meal. You can easily add his sardines or Salmon to it, frozen veg, whatever works.

When you hear the talk of 'proteins', were talking chains of amino acids, in variable concentrations. But.. different proteins serve different bodily functions. So asuming Justice likes & tolerates eggs, it's an easy meal to make him, if you're up for it!

And umm:provoke: where our pic of Justice.. pretty sure that's a requirement.. :rofl:

Snook   
50 minutes ago, crazydoglady99 said:

I've been meaning to pop in and say..

I read that you're not so keen or confident in doing a DIY raw diet for Justice - that's perfectly understandable!

Just a suggestion..  for the sake of your purse, your sanity and variety..

Scrambled eggs are a great, easy meal. You can easily add his sardines or Salmon to it, frozen veg, whatever works.

When you hear the talk of 'proteins', were talking chains of amino acids, in variable concentrations. But.. different proteins serve different bodily functions. So asuming Justice likes & tolerates eggs, it's an easy meal to make him, if you're up for it!

And umm:provoke: where our pic of Justice.. pretty sure that's a requirement.. :rofl:

Justice loves his raw eggs so I have no doubt that he would happily gobble down scrambled eggs. Thanks for the suggestion! He's doing really well on the Big Dog BARF patties for breakfast and his usual mix of meaty bones, yoghurt, eggs and sardines for dinner, so I'll be keeping up with the Big Dog instead of the kibble he was on. 

Ha ha.. here's the obligatory photo of the boy that was taken on a recent walk. I can't work out how to insert the photo from Flickr adding the link in the Insert other media section isn't working but here's a link to his boofy face https://flic.kr/p/2edPDvi

• Like 5

This may or may not be practical, but if you’re visiting and know when he has pee’d try hosing or tipping a jug of water on the spot to dilute it.

Edited by Papillon Kisses