A new girl at Myrtle Street: update 13 months on

Myrtle Street four legged inhabitants down to five.  Simba went to his new home yesterday and I could not be happier for him.  Another dog who chases balls until he drops (not that that is allowed), a very relaxed, semi retired couple, active, walking and dog loving, with three adult daughters living at home.  Cafes and relatives close by and visited regularly with dogs.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:   

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sooty continues to wow and impress.  Today she weighed in at 3.78kgs so approx 400gm to go.  She regularly just needs two meals a day as she is not interested in her midday meal.  I had her groomed the other day and she looks gorgeous.  I have photos but haven’t been able to get them  onto Flickr to put up here :swear:  :swear:.  There must be an easier way ??

• Like 2

Photo showing hair growth on Sooty’s ears.  No pix of ears from her first days here, but they were bald (vet wondered if hair would grow back) and covered in scratches and scabs where the “carer” had allowed her dogs to pull Sooty around :cry:  :cry:.  Whenever I think of how she must have suffered (remember she is blind) I feel sick with sorrow and anger.  

She’ll soon be able to have proper Poodle ears - LOL :heart:  :heart:    .  The groomer has managed to start giving her a little tufty head.   

40362496833_a110c3ce1a_m.jpgIMG_1028 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

@PANDI-GIRL, I haven’t had an update about Simba this week, but previous reports were totally positive.  Rescuer is very busy planning her wedding in less than 4 weeks’ time and still trying to cope with the never ending stream of dogs needing help :cry:  :cry:.

Sooty does look healthy and not only is the hair growing back on her ears, but also her whole coat is thickening.  When she first came here, it was so thin you could see her skin through it and I was terrified of tearing it - brushing was a very careful and tentative activity and now I can brush (still gently) without fear.   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A GoFundMe page has been started for Sooty as we really need to get her leg operated upon.  It is heartbreaking to see her struggling around on three legs.  If DOLers can help by donating and/or sharing the page, I would be eternally grateful.  The more it is shared the more hope we can have of raising the funds.  

Thank you all so much.    

https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-sooty

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Animal House said:

:champagne:yay, what a generous soul

I know; I wish I knew who it was so I could thank them personally.  I’ve had a few people email me with pledges and some people want to send cheques, so we are inching towards a reasonable sum.  I’ll be surprised if we raise the whole amount, but every little helps.  The most likely way of getting donations is to get the GoFundMe page in front of people.  

I’m pretty sure hobbling around on three legs is exhausting Sooty and this morning she was off colour with very sloppy #2s, didn’t want anything to eat, and also a little throw up which, I am pretty sure, is the first time.  However, she was leaping around like a spring lamb when I came home from shopping late afternoon and wolfed down her dinner in the evening.  She has been losing weight too which is really upsetting me, so I’ve started giving her Nutrigel again.   She has to be in top notch condition for the op.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

How is Sooty this morning  @Loving my Oldies   what food intices  Sooty to eat,  does she have any favorite food that she can't resist

Thanks @PANDI-GIRL.  She seems back to normal (no #2 yet) but a good breakfast and then a little bowl of broth and nutrigel.  The mix that seems most successful for them all is a combination of human grade beef mince, dog food steak mince from Woollies and some steamed rice.  My grocery bills are horrendous LOL.   

For those interested who might be having difficulties in feeding and giving meds( @mita), I have run out of home made bone broth and have been making up a little bit of vegetable stock to mix in with the nutrigel and moisten their food and the dogs really seem to like it.   Even Jeune ate a good breakfast and last night she wanted more of the same - unheard of.  

Edited by Loving my Oldies

We haven’t had many donations, but those we have had have been substantial and so we have actually passed the halfway mark.   Very exciting.   On the other hand, when I think of dear little Sooty having such an enormous operation and wondering what they hell is happening to her (she is blind, remember), I get very very emotional.   I think I’ll have to claim a parent's right and sleep beside her at the hospital.   :laugh:  :laugh:

• Like 3

I thought I’d show three pix which show Sooty’s progression.  I’ve said before that when she came here on 6 January 2019, her ears were bald and covered in scratches because the ghastly excuse for a carer allowed her other dogs to drag Sooty around by her ears and thought it was funny.  So here we go:

14 January 2019.  Hair overhanging ears is greasy because I was applying Vit E cream daily:

47927076966_2e7d9c9c90_m.jpgVersion 2 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

9 March 2019 - I’ve posted this before, but looking good:

40362496833_a110c3ce1a_m.jpgIMG_1028 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

25 May 2019, this morning showing Poodle curls starting to form:

47926798007_9cc78de6a3_n.jpg551BBA87-7D05-4F97-B779-81F3909BAE54 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 6