A new girl at Myrtle Street: update 13 months on

This is the report the rescuer emailed me earlier today.   I am so worried about her.  

"Sooty is out of surgery, she’s sedated and resting well. Eugene put a ligament in and screwed it to her joint but it did not hold, Sooty's elbow joint was just too loose so in addition to the ligament , he has had to put a pin into her elbow to almost fuse the joint. Sooty has a cast on her leg in a fully extended position, she will need to keep this on for between 2-3 weeks so that the cartilage builds up around the joint and takes up some space and essentially sets the elbow joint and stops the joint from slipping the way it is now. 

"It’s only a small procedure to have the pin removed in a few weeks, at this point he believes Sooty will have pretty good mobility , she may well walk with a slightly mechanical limp but that she will generally be fine and should be able to operate fairly normally."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

Oh gee, all fingers crossed for you both.  Frodo's month in a cast wasn't easy as I had the full cast on my broken leg as well.  We just sat "with our legs up" and let the healing happen.  When does she come home to you?

I’m not sure.  

How you managed with both of you in casts, I don’t know.  At least I am used to carrying Sooty around (she is blind remember), but she was becoming adventurous and would regularly take herself off on little tours of exploration and enjoyed going out and lying on the deck, but they will be put on hold.  I am not sure what sort of rehab and physio I will need to be doing for her, but we dog lovers do whatever is necessary.  As my four other dogs are all very elderly now, I have the luxury of being able to enjoy lots of time just lying on the couch with a couple of dogs draped over me.   I just need to find some decent books to download.    

Why was Frodo in a cast?   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

…. How you managed with both of you in casts, I don’t know.  

…. Why was Frodo in a cast?   

It was all a bit of a hell.  Hardly saw OH normally as he was commuting 6 hours driving a day on top of very long hours.  (Nearly killed him).  So he had to take some long service leave to be a carer.  I could have had some Council daily help, but they wouldn't feed the poultry or animals, so not much help really.

Frodo was jumping out from the front seat of the car and before he reached the ground Piper (Rottie) was racing past the car.  Poor Piper smashed Fro in mid air, he made a shocking landing and broke his fetlock, put all the foot tendons out.  Was lucky an awesome vet was available, 40 minute drive with screaming dog, me in new plaster, OH in panic.  All's well that ends if not 'well' at least best possible result and manageable/mobile at the end of the tunnel.  So yes, totally feel for your concerns and the waiting game is no fun. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Darling little Sooty.  Surgeon is happy with progress.  She isn’t coming home for a while as pain management is crucial.   Doesn’t she look gorgeous in her little tartan coat.  She was sent with two.  A girl has to have a decent wardrobe.  

47958075432_ec5192e0dd_n.jpgIMG_2964 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 6

I have a question about GoFundMe pages.   I found out the anonymous person who donated the $1,000 - the people didn’t tell me, someone they know did.  Naturally I rang the donor (whom I know well) with profuse and never ending thanks because if it hadn’t been for that donor, I think Sooty would still be waiting for her surgery.  

However, during the course of our conversation, I asked the donor if they had received a receipt and donor said an emailed receipt had been received.  Donor also said that, despite some people preferring to remain anonymous, whoever started the GoFundMe Page could see the names.  Is this correct, does anyone know?  I was surprised and so was donor, because I would have thought that was against the spirit of wanting to be anonymous.  

• 2 weeks later...

This morning was cold but sunny.  Jeune and Sooty decided to stay downstairs soaking up the rays.  Terrible pic of Jeune, but the sun was very bright, and she is now very old.  

48097503858_b8cc153e74_n.jpgIMG_1091 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

I took this one from the deck as I kept on coming out and checking on her.  She seemed very contented just to sit there.

48097555432_95b3242b1e_n.jpgIMG_1093 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It has taken a while, but finally these beautiful words:

“ [name] has advised that she is preparing Sooty’s adoption papers now and will email to you soon."

And here is a little video taken a few days ago - it is a bit dark, but the editing functions dont seem to apply to videos.  The strips on the floor is that material used under carpets/mats to stop them slipping.  It is a bit sticky and helps stop Sooty’s feet from slipping.  She is wearing little toe grips, but they don’t seem to help much.    I have had her groomed since this video and she is now sporting lovely little poodle face and top knot.   Must get an up to date photo.   Dear old Jeune has a small supporting role. :heart:  

IMG_1105

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 1