A new girl at Myrtle Street: update 13 months on

On 1/10/2019 at 6:11 PM, Loving my Oldies said:

Just back from the vet.  I had to collect some meds so I took Sooty to be weighed. I’m over the moon:  she has put on 100 grams and now weighs in at a whopping 2.35kgs.  Whoever invented Nutrigel needs to get a medal.  Sooty is ravenous,  but because she is so starved, I’ve had to be careful, so small meals often and supplemented with a mixture of homemade bone broth and Nutrigel via syringe.  She is amazing:  she is getting out of her bed and going for little wanders.  Because of her condition, she tires very easily, so I don’t let her do too much.   

You're a good person!  So glad Sooty's responding well.  But you're also giving us great information how we might help a little one in the same condition.  I love your idea mixing homemade bone broth with the Nutrigel.  I've found not all doggies like & accept the gel.  Adding the broth would liquify it & make it more do-able, especially in feeding by syringe.  Do you have any special tip for making the broth.... or is it just basically simmering the raw bones in water?

• Like 2

Adding chicken feet to bones and on low in a slow cooker for 18 hours or so is how I make bone broth that jellies a little after a few hours n the fridge. Without the chicken feet, it always stays liquid.

Well done with Sooty!

• Like 3

@Little Gifts beautiful story of Oscar.  Can you post the video here of Stussy teaching him to play?

@mita I just simmer the bones (about three chicken frames to about about 7 litres of water) for 24 hours.  I pack alfoil and cling wrap around the lid of the stock pan so it doesn’t all go up in steam :laugh:  :laugh:  Approximately 1/2 hour before the 24 hours are up, I crush all the bones up and then boil rapidly for the last 1/2 hour.  I strain it through an old cotton tea towel, let it sit in frig for another 24 hours and then strain again through cotton tea towel because I like to get all the fat out.  There are things you can add (eg apple cider vinegar), but I just use the bones. I then decant into jugs and freeze.   I try to always have some on hand.  

@RuralPug I hadn’t thought of jellied broth, but I like to get all the fat out and use it to moisten the dogs’ meals and also I have to crush up Tamar’s meds and give via syringe.   

Sooty is really starting to find her mojo and is no longer just lying around sapped of energy.  I’ll be running with her in the City to Surf at this rate  :eek:  :eek:

• Like 4

LMO I had the video on You Tube but they revamped the site and it is not there now. It was taken so long ago it's probably on one of our old hard drives. If it turns up again I'll send you a link. Stussy is waggling a tug toy in his face encouraging him to grab on to it. He grabs on and runs off with it and Stussy is all no, no, no, that's not how you play tug! It's very sweet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Sooty is really starting to find her mojo and is no longer just lying around sapped of energy.  I’ll be running with her in the City to Surf at this rate  :eek:  :eek:

I LOVE  this update .
What do the others think of this new princess ? 

Edited by persephone
  • Like 1

I actually typed this out much earlier today,  up when I opened up DOL it wasn’t there.   But somehow it was still there waiting to be submitted.   

The only one who reacts at all to Sooty is Simba, my other foster.  His nose is sooooooooo out of joint poor boy.  And Mezza is a bit perplexed, but the others are used to the regular comings and goings of new dogs.  

When I pick Sooty up, I have to remember to tuck up her tail as Simba jumps up trying to grab it.  

Sooty is now asleep on the kitchen mat ready and waiting to trip me up in the event that I start preparing food.  She’ll be on a diet soon.   Simba is in “his” spot on the recliner and the others are all flat out in their various spots.  All quiet now and time for my next cup of coffee 

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 4

LMO here :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Another weigh-in this morning.  Sooty is now 3kgs !!!!!!!!  I’m over the moon as I was thinking just from feel that she might have reached that weight.  She is one helluva little dog.  I’m sure her temperament has a lot to do with how she has responded as she is quite outgoing and obviously resilient.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 25/01/2019 at 2:27 PM, persephone said:

new photoshoot of this little starlet I think :)  

:mad :mad :mad  Photos aren’t transferring automatically from my phone to my computer.   Will post when able.  

1 hour ago, stellnme said:

Must have missed this while on holidays.  What a sweet little one!  She has certainly landed in the right place to rehabilitate and grow stronger, which it seems she is already doing so well.

She is doing brilliantly, @stellnme.  It’s hard to believe really.   

• Like 4

I love this photo (taken while the Tennis Australian Open was on) except that Mezza isn’t in it.  He was there right over to the left, but frame wasn’t large enough to include him :(.  Simba is such a character and his place is now the recliner and he growls at any of the dogs who walk past.  Sadly for his delusions of power, they take no notice.  

I don’t know if the hair on Sooty’s ears will ever regrow, but I am applying Vit E cream daily in the hope it will make a difference.  

Oh, and before anyone takes me to task for not having a bed for Bunter, lying on the bare boards is his choice :rofl:  :rofl:.    

33024306838_6801315c2a_m.jpgfullsizeoutput_a76 by Cynthia Waters, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She sure is.  She has a way to go still as her coat is dull and fine,  and her skin a bit flakey, but early days still - only four weeks on Sunday night.  

I was looking at the first photos I took of her and they still made me want to cry.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1