Amelia

Pennhip Cost and Procedure

4 posts in this topic

Amelia   

Hi everyone, 

I am looking at possibly getting a Bernese mountain dog later this year towards October and have been doing a lot of research on their health problems especially their hips. As I am aware that their likelihood of hip dysplasia is quite great, I am looking to get Pennhip done on the puppy so that I am able to work on preventative methods to delay the progression of any hip issues they may have rather then wait till they're older when they may have to get surgery instead. 

I have only called one vet around me at the moment and was quoted approximately $800 for the Pennhip procedure. I was just wondering what other prices people payed around Australia or where quoted? Also if anyone could suggest clinics in Victoria that would be great also.

I was also wondering what age peoples dogs were when they underwent Pennhip as I was also told by the vet that the timing needed to be very specific (around 16 weeks of age). If this is true thats fine, but i also thought you could have it done at any stage. I am asking this as I would preferably like to have my puppy desexed at the same time to reduce the amount of times it has to be anaesthetised, but 16 weeks is also a bit too early to be desexing the Bernese according too the breeder and online resources. 

Any advice or suggestions on all of this is welcome. 

Thanks heaps,

Amelia. 

Dogsfevr   

I would have thought cancer was the bigger risk .

Pennhip does have to be done at a set age but most of us here don’t use this scheme .

It sounds like you need to find a good breeder and talk about your concerns .

Maybe contact the breed club and ask them .

Research depending on which country the info is from can be misleading or confusing .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Personally I recommend desexing not before 18 months for my working Springers if at all depending on bitch vs dog. I am VERY careful about who I sell to and they are mentored through any issues. I don’t Pennhip but AVA hip/elbow scoring so I can’t help with prices. Love Bernese - wouldn’t desex until at least 2 years old personally.

• Like 1

Tassie   

It's my understanding that Pennhip can be done at any age from about 16 weeks.  It involves a different positioning for the dog from the AVA scoring, and gives a quantitative evaluation on the laxity of the hips, as opposed to the several specific areas that are scored in the AVA system.

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, one of the reasons some vets prefer to do Pennhip early is that if the results indicate an actual incidence of  of HD,  or a likelihood of it developing in the future, there is a surgical procedure, referred to as JPS, which some vets recommend, which may limit the progression of HD.   This procedure has a narrow window of 16 - 18 weeks during which it can be carried out.

It's worth doing some research on the procedures, and at the same time researching the pros and cons of desexing before growth plates close.  You will also be able to find some information on what puppy buyers can do when they get their puppy home, to limit the development of joint disease.  Hopefully your breeder would, like TSD, be able to mentor puppy buyers through this.. it involves things like keeping puppies lean, and making sure they get adequate but appropriate exercise as they are growing rapidly.

(And another Bernese fan .. they are great dogs.)