Amelia

Desexing a Bernese Mountain Dog

7 posts in this topic

Amelia   

Hi everyone, 

I am looking at possibly getting a Bernese mountain dog later this year towards October and have been trying to get an answer on what age is the right time to desex both female and male puppies (we aren't too sure on gender yet). One of the vets I contacted thought that it was okay for them to be desex around 16 weeks old, however I thought that sounded too early as i know there are a few risks in desexing them too early. Any advice is greatly appreciated for a rough guide for now but as the time gets closer our final decision will be decided with the help from the breeder and the vets. 

Thank you,

amelia 

Dogsfevr   

Your breeder should be the person to ask but most large breeds from 12 months 

Personally at least 18 months for a medium breed. Let their growth plates close and musculature develop. The gonadal hormones aid in both. So I would allow one season for a bitch and hold off as long as possible for a male. My Dalmatian is entire, 12 years old, never sired a litter (I breed working Springers) and an Agility Champion. Best dog ever. I encourage my puppy buyers to keep at least the males entire as long as they feel comfortable. There are pros and cons to desexing. 

• Like 5

At least 18 months of age. Larger breeds take longer to mature, and they definitely need that bone and muscle development to protect their joints in latter life from Hip and Elbow Dysplasia and OCD.

Listen to your breeder when you decide on a puppy.

• Like 2

RuralPug   

Actual desexing for a breed the size of a BMD (which is a small mastiff) I would recommend 18 months.
BUT personally I would be opting for an OSS (ovary sparing spay) on a female or a vasectomy on a male at a much, much earlier age.. These procedures sterilise the dog and prevent unwanted pregnancies without removing the hormones needed for proper development to maturity.

• Like 1

16 weeks??? That sounds an odd age to choose! 

What everyone else said, contact your breeder, work with a vet you feel confident in/comfortable with, read up on the pros and cons of desexing for each gender & so on.

There are pros and cons to both waiting and doing it early. It may not be something you can plan definitively for until after you’ve had your pup awhile. 

6 months of age is (I think) when most councils will require you to either Desex or produce a dispensation.

If it were me, I would be asking why the vet said 4 months, that seems, just in my lay opinion, quite unusual, normally 6 months is the default even for vets who are dead set on early desexing. Would be interesting to know if there’s any new info out to there to point to that as an optimal age. Normally 6 months seems to be considered “early” for large breeds (especially males)....I wonder if there’s a benefit to getting the bigger dogs done even prior to this? 

It’s a frustrating area as far as I’m concerned as the data is still, to the best of my knowledge, very inconclusive. My personal areas of interest is the stuff discussing role of testosterone in decreasing fear based aggression, and oestrogen in continence issues, for what it’s worth. It’s an area that incorporates far more than just growth plates.

I know for me, I aim to raise my dogs as “well”as possible  so that should an early desexing be required- even prior to 6 months if medically necessary- they’re set up as best as possible. Although I feel happiest with 6 months for larger females and as long as possible for the boys, I’m not set in stone either way and would personally prioritise something like a 6 month desexing for a giant breed male if it meant avoiding a second general anaesthetic 12 months later (assuming you’re allowed only until 18 months for your dispensation), such as if there were complex dental surgery required - I feel more confident in my abilities to strengthen/protect  my dog athletically than I do in preventing a horrendous malocclusion. But that’s just me. I also don’t care how much stronger a dog’s joints will be if desexing is waited if that dog is jumping like crazy to get to the poorly cared for, intact girl across the street - 18 months of crazy jumping will likely offset any benefits of waiting, and if the dog is hit by a car trying to access his girlfriend, well, that’s not exactly good for the joints either. 

Work with your breeder, they’ll likely know the best courses of action for many things and should appreciate you respecting their knowledge of their dogs :) do lots of reading and make sure you have a knowledgeable vet - have your breeder recommend you one, this is a must for me!!! Especially as you’re getting a rather uncommon breed who some vets may not treat for long periods of their career - and then go with your gut.