Neighbours treating Puppy Badly

ricrunner

A relative new neighbour has taken on board a 8 week old purebred red kelpie puppy (female). They got this puppy at 5 weeks of age. They told me they were pressured into taking it. We live in Northern Western Districts of NSW, and it is average 39 Celcius every day. They are treating it very badly, it is on a lead in an area where it hardly gets shade and gets caught up on stuff so it ends up with a very short lead. I have intervened on two occasions, when they were in the house, but they did not know I was there and I saved her from being strangled. She is currently in the same position right now  6.37 pm, 12/1/19 today. She cannot regulate her temperature and when I do get over there she drinks a hell of a lot of water. The wife and partner will not look after her, the  kids want to , but father wont let them intervene. I intend to seize the pup as soon as humanly possible, but can only do so when it is safe to do so. I first removed her when she fell into open septic tank which is 7 foot deep full of sewerage,  their children broke into earlier in the week. They are not interested in fixing it, so if dog gets off it's lead again , will probably end up in there again. I have not left my home for two weeks so as to protect this beautiful pup from their cruelty. The father beats her and throws things at her when he perceives she has done something wrong, which is all things little puppies do. The pup has  an implant, so am worried about how to legally protect her from them to save her life, if I Illegally sieze her. My wife agrees with me, about taking her as we absolutely love dogs to death. We do not have an RSPCA ranger in our area, nor a council ranger whom is 200km away and wont travel. What can I do? This is an urgent matter. Am willing to purchase dog from them for substantial amount, to entice them to part with her, but, this is the last legal resort. This pup needs help urgently. What do you guy's suggest I do?. Am ex -soldier on DVA pension for PSTD , and cannot handle confrontation anymore.  EDIT: I have just checked the dog, at 8.45 pm and it is on short caught up lead, cannot lie down, only 100 mm of movement on lead. I can see the pup from my fenceline. It has not had water for 4 hours, is currently 30 Celcius. This guy is very dangerous(the owner)  so I expect bad confrontation, either against me or the pup in retailiation, would take pup now, but  owner has outdoor lights on. Really seems from lack of comments, that I should not intervene, and just let dog die.

Edited by ricrunner

It is extremely hard when you see a situation like this and the appropriate authorities are a fair distance away. They will try to avoid investigating, but don't allow them to fob you off. You can supply video from your phone to them to prove the urgency of the situation. Please do not seize the puppy unless instructed to do so by the proper authorities.

If you do not feel that you can discuss this calmly with the neighbour to improve the situation for the pup, then at least telephone shire authorities and your state RSPCA with all of the details you have given here. It is essential that you document each and every conversation/report that you make. The lack of shelter and lack of shade and water in high temperatures is abusive and the authorities should act. Do not assume that they will not act - provided that you report the situation calmly and completely they are required by law to investigate.

I would also have a chat with the local police about the situation and not just about the pup because if you are correct and the wife and kids wish to give the puppy correct shelter etc but are prevented from doing so by the household male, there might be some inappropriate bullying behaviour happening there which the local police need to be aware of. In the best case, the police will have a chat with the pup's owner about appropriate shelter etc. In the worst case, they will do nothing except file your report. Just explain the whole situation calmly to them.

If the pup gets off it's lead and ends up in your yard, I would be driving the pup the 200km to the Shire offices to hand over pup to the local ranger. 

Don't overlook the local community in rural areas - if severe injustice is happening and the community finds put about it, peer pressure can sometimes achieve what confrontation cannot. For example the headmaster of the local primary school, the local postmaster or general store keeper, the local publican and other community leaders can be approached for advice in how you should deal with the situation. 

• Like 3

This forum is not a busy one ... it can sometimes be many hours before a post is spotted .

Your situation seems awful . 

Living rural sucks sometimes :( 

definitely, and without trespassing ..film what you can ..or do a sound recording, or photograph. IF you need to help puppy ..describe what you are doing, and document everything . 
KEEP YOURSELF SAFE .  :(

The local police may keep a record of any conversation you have ..do you know them at all ? That always helps in rural communities . 

Honestly ... 
that's all I can say .
be safe ...try & stay legal ..& I do understand some of what you are feeling . been there, done that ...  :cry: 

I’m so sorry you and this poor puppy are going through this experience. I really don’t have any advice, I have no idea what you should do but I hope things turn out okay. Have you spoken to the RSPCA or ranger over the phone? Even though they are far I’d hope they would be able to give you advice on what to do. You can’t take the puppy without permission, that may cause more issues for everyone involved. If you can then video what you can and just keep an eye on the pup like you have been doing. I hope things work out for the best x

Oh man that's horrible. Just adding to the choir - record and document everything you can with photos and videos.

Contact your local council range and local police for advice on who you can report to in a remote location and what you legally are able to do in your area. Even though they are not immediately close to you, they can advise you on what you're allowed to do in your local area. The ranger may be distant but it is also their job, by contacting them you can get this dog on the radar and have them schedule a visit - that is better than no visit or awareness at all.

Your local police can certainly come check the dog in an urgent situation (e.g tied up without water/tangled up without water). Call them on the local number - they can talk to your neighbours and / or seize the dog for you to avoid you having to do the confrontation.

Record everything with photos and videos where possible. Those are your best evidence.

Avoid anything illegal, as it will come back to bite you in the ass and won't benefit the dog in the long run. However if you happen to glance out your window and see the dog immediately drowning/strangling you are absolutely allowed to run over and free it. Then knock on the door and politely let them know their dog was strangling, and do they want help setting up a dog run.

hI got a friend to approach the owner this morning about, the way he is treating his pup, and the owner moved the pup inside his house, glad that he did, because it was 42 C outside at 10.30 am, but after an half hour, you could hear him abusing it. The wife is away at work, she works 12 hour shifts so dog could not be in worse hands. I asked my friend to offer the owner 350 dollars for pup as he is a cattle farmer and told the pup owner that the pup would be trained to work with the farm animals, and that it is what kelpies are bred for. The pup owner said she is not for sale, that his kids want to keep it. My friend said you cannot leave a puppy  that young outside in the heat , jammed up on a lead with no access to  water and shade as young pups cannot regulate their temperature. The a.... hole didn't care for that comment and said he will do  look after the pup his way. I contacted a police friend of mine a short while ago, and he said, this guy is a ex-bikie and he also could not intervene as the dog is his possession , and will only intervene if the dog is seriously injured. Just notice dog has just been put outside at 1.40 pm, in no shade, temp is 44 C. I think I have to go over and intervene., and face the consequences. I stayed up all last night and waited until they went to sleep and went over and gave her water, she drank a litre and a half, she was hanging onto me and wouldn't let me go.

Edited by ricrunner
  • Sad 4

I am just guessing water amount, but it was a very large  amount, it is now 44 C and climbing, have just reported the matter again to RSPCA and they will be coming out tomorrow, over 200km trip for him, they d did  say if it gets any worse , to ring them back and they will send the police, so we just will monitor it as the day goes by, and will act if it gets any hotter.

• Like 12

A parent who is physically abusive? Children who are known to you who are falling into an open septic tank? Or even being able to do so?

Worth giving the Police a call in my personal opinion just to ask for a welfare check on the kids.

I imagine they’d get out there rather quickly if they feel they’ve got a potential children’s issue/ DV situation going on.

The Dog May be passed off to RSPCA or removed if it’s deemed as hazard to the kids etc but even the latter would require the RSPCA becoming involved.

I wouldn’t get involved yourself - let the authorities do so. Even if you’re going by way of checking on the humans as opposed to the dog, although it’s pretty reasonable to assume that children in that kind of environment could benefit from a check.