To put fur baby down after drawing blood from bite

Smiley

I am not sure what to do and looking for some advice...

My fur baby who turns 14 this year and he is a Husky x Kelpie bit my Mother in Law today.... this is not the first time he has bitten someone and drew blood it is actually 4th time. He bit her before but that was because she was picking up some food in front of him - he is food possive . He has bitten hubby protecting me we think in his mind. This last time there was nothing happening underlying the attack he was lying down on ground and she was bending down to him and he must have lunged. He does have issues with his teeth and last year we had to get some removed and the vet said he may need to get more out ... so wondering if this is the cause for the incident today. The hard thing is my bringing up my Dad always said once they draw blood you need to put them down but I can’t be that clinical but then he is getting on so maybe it should be time to let him go. He is my baby as I am unable to have my own children so needless to say he is spoilt. We have an appointment on Monday with the vet to discuss our options but my mother in law does not want us to put him down as he is a major part of our family. But then are we just making excuses for him... Hubby says not to put him down either but I feel they are both saying that out of respect for me... Over the last few years I have loss so many close family members and I think they think I will fall apart. I probably will but if he is hurting I have no right to make him stay to make me feel better. I need help.....

• Like 1

very hard, been in the same situation with two much loved dogs.  the first had, had distemper as a pup and the brain damage worsened (that was in the late 50's, fortunately just about extinct these days.  The other suddenly began attacking even family members in late age, trip to the vet found he was in significant pain and hence suddenly so short tempered and in both cases the vet said they were suffering and should be put down... so this could be a possibility as I think you already suspect.

so sorry for you, it is the hard side of having our much loved pets as age, accident or infirmity, catches up with them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for not judging me. I think I am doing the best by seeing a vet before taking the plunge straight to putting him down. I have very bad anxiety of how people think about me and my actions and feel very upset if people think bad of me. 

• Like 2

Hi have also been in this situation myself and as Snook and asal suggested definitely get a vet check to rule out any pain, also a proper check on his eyes, our old poodle girl started similar behaviour once she lost most of her eyesight, she could see movement but was often unsure what or who it was.

I would also suggest a visit with a good Chiro or similar, often vets miss issues that chiro’s etc will pick up on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Definitely a vet visit but avoid any situations where you know he has an issue - like food, leaning over him (eyesight can be an issue) etc, in other words - don't provoke him or let anyone else do it.  Could be a bit of dementia happening but if they are in pain it can also change them.  My 16.5 yr old girl (I rescued her 3 years ago) just had a major dental about 4 months ago and came through with flying colours, she feels so much better I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As others have mentioned, go to the vet and make sure there isn’t any pain somewhere. My dog is only one and a half but has serious mental health issues. He bites me or my husband almost every day because of food. It is stressful but personally I could never put him to sleep due to this. Like you, he is my son and means the world to me. This is a very big choice to make and I wish you luck. If you do not want to put him to sleep then don’t. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry it is such a stressful time . 
Your poor old dog  ... 
As others have said . A full discussion/vet check  first . 
Please keep us in the loop if you decide against euthanasia, and we can perhaps help you regarding changing the management of visitors around your old boy-that sort of thing . 
It must be very hard  when you know it's coming near the time you and he need to part  ..then this happens :(

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smiley said:

he was lying down on ground and she was bending down to him and he must have lunged

JUST from these few words... it could have been instinct ..he got a fright , maybe ? I have seen this  before ..older dogs with  hearing/sight  not 100% anymore ...

I may be wrong . Please get EVERYTHING checked ..NOT just his heart and teeth and ears  and nails ... make sure there is nothing wrong in his mouth at all ..or throat , or under his tongue . Check his joints ..the spine ..including his tail ... check around his anus for gland problems ... 
EYES ....HEARING ... 

if he gets the all-clear ..THEN you can focus more on behaviour .

Take a half -step back .I know you are very attached .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is old and they need to be managed for there age .

Is he in pain most likely yes rarely at that age is a dog pain free and pain can severely alter a dogs life.

If vision/  hearing and smell are potentially going the dog is having to manage its own fears in a different way ,some do get cranky and will bite .

A bad mouth also affects the face like humans,aching jaw,throbbing pain.

As for PTS if the dog has no quality of life then absolutely,as humans we must do the right thing by our dogs and advocate for them and allow them to pass with dignity and not be selfish owners ,if it isn’t his time then everyone needs to be mindful of adapting around this dog .

Is this dog at that stage non of us know ,as an owner you truly know in your heart even if your head is trying to convince otherwise .Is it an easy decision no but a decision we all have to make at times  .The greatest gift we can give our pets is there wings when the time comes .

Edited by Dogsfevr
Auto spell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Age related illness, hearing and vision loss, all can contribute to more unpredictable behaviour. A full vet exam is a very good idea. All those old sayings about dogs tasting blood are just myths, we now know that we need context and information to assess a situation like this. Your old boy may just need a bit more peace and quiet and may no longer tolerate sudden moves or intimidating behaviour, a change in management and just some more awareness from everyone involved may help to resolve it. A good behaviourist will help with that if needed. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1