Sydney dog attack

lillypilly

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/three-people-injured-in-dog-attack-in-sydneys-west/news-story/50b26552e780a046daab839e7dd5a56e

Three people injured in dog attack in Sydney’s west

A mother and her child are in hospital and a man is in an induced coma after two dogs went on a rampage in Sydney’s west this afternoon.

Two dogs have gone on a rampage which has left three people — including a mother and her young daughter — with serious injuries in Sydney’s west this afternoon.

A 40-year-old man went into cardiac arrest after being bitten several times on his face, ears, chest and abdomen at a home on Vincennes Avenue at Tregear at about 1pm.

He suffered multiple lacerations to his body after being mauled by the two dogs, according to CareFlight which sent a rapid response helicopter with a medical team to the scene.

The man needed a blood transfusion and was placed in an induced coma to stabilise him.

He was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition.

A 30-year-old woman and her 10-year-old daughter were also bitten by the dogs and are also being taken to Westmead Hospital for treatment.

A NSW Ambulance spokesman said the girl was bitten on the back, while her mother was bitten on the forearm.

They are both in a stable condition.

It’s understood the man — who was not the owner of the dogs — was staying at the house and was being visited by the mum and daughter.

ABC reports that the woman and girl were attacked by the dogs and the man was injured while trying to protect them. It also reports that the dogs were Staffordshire bull terriers.

NSW Ambulance Acting Superintendent Jordan Emery told 2GB’s Ben Fordham the man “sustained very significant injuries”.

“His injuries were very extensive and there was a significant amount of blood loss as a result of the incident,” Mr Emery said.

“We sent a whole range of resources including a number of intensive care paramedics, the Careflight helicopter and an ambulance inspector”.

The RSPCA attended the scene and the dogs have been locked away.

Officers from Mount Druitt Police Area Command are investigating.

• Sad 2

interesting article.

biggest surprise english staffies had the highest rate? not that their cousins are far behind. warning, dont watch the video of the bullmastif attack in the video, is very upsetting.

wondered who is the writer..  big surprise, she is Peter Harveys daughter... loved him, as I think did much of australia

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/shelters-are-full-of-pitbulls-for-a-good-reason/news-story/9f17194fc2abec7014eda4141c700333

zilch to do with dogs, but another of her articles and a good warning if you intend shopping at ikea. never did more than wander around one of their shops.

she sure paints a good picture with words. dont try drinking your tea or coffee while reading.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/claire-harvey-thats-what-i-call-crap-service/news-story/9870c4ae06f9ca4467af4dc0d2e6cd96

On 24/01/2019 at 11:44 PM, Loving my Oldies said:

And in this shocking and terrifying experience, that is important how?  

Priorities !!

my neighbours son  acquired one as a pup, fortunately it was only half grown when my mare foaled so although it tried to bring him down it was too young and inexperienced to achieve its aim. even though I asked them to please keep it home as it was attacking the foal, they didnt bother.. now four months later it is eyeing me off to attack. they wont make a yard for it,  it can go where it likes when it likes and is "guarding " not only its home but now extended the range to include half my land and surrounding neighbours.  a disaster in the making.

I like my neighbours but am now terrified of that dog, only last week when I went to check my fence as I could see a loose wire it came barrelling out of their driveway and came for me. thank dog the son who owns it was in the shed near the gate and called it back.  I was 200 mtres from my car or house with no way of safely getting away from it.. now I dare not go down my own driveway unless im in my car.

it went for me when only the mother was home and she couldn't call it off but that time I had just gotten out of my car so slowly backed to the car and closed the door but it had come to within a foot of grabbing me, repeatedly snapping as I backed to the car and closed it. only its youth and inexperience yet saved me that time this dog is going to maul someone its revving itself up to do it and none of them seem to be able to see this.

I was born in 1948, I walked the streets as a child when there were packs of loose dogs, I have never been bitten even though I have had many dozens of dogs decided this human is not going to walk on my humans front lawn. I know how to back until im out of the dogs guarding area and detour. I know how to signal i am not a threat.  Only this weekend I visited a friend with a very shy nervous dog of a guard breed and within minutes he was asking to sit in my lap. her cat is terrified of strangers but I know cat meows and which are the cats version of friendly.

to her amazement within a minute he came out of hiding to check me out and  after half an hour advanced to me and rubbed on my legs.  I can usually win over any cat or dog I meet. But not this one.

this dog is so different to the dogs of my childhood and adulthood. If those dogs are like my neighbours and I strongly suspect they are, there are going to be headlines in the coming months and I sure do not want it to be me that's the person mauled in the photos or any other for that matter, but at my wits end as to what to do?

Edited by asal

I find it interesting that the comments under this Australian article are full of alleged pit bull owners, when pit bull terrier/American pit bull terrier are banned ffrom importation into Australia, and any dog already here, deemed to be of that breed/type must be desexed, where the hell are they all coming from!??  I can only assume that unpaperd American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are being referred to as pit bull terriers? And falling foul of the laws? Or not!!?? 

https://www.k9centre.com.au/restricted-dog-breeds-in-australia/

Edited by Scratch
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I find it interesting that the comments under this Australian article are full of alleged pit bull owners, when pit bull terrier/American pit bull terrier are banned ffrom importation into Australia, and any dog already here, deemed to be of that breed/type must be desexed, where the hell are they all coming from!??  I can only assume that unpaperd American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are being referred to as pit bull terriers? And falling foul of the laws? Or not!!?? 

They are everywhere, the bogans love them. big tough dog to scare people with. I am a microchipper and I get many phone calls from friends of friends who have bought a puppy on gumtree. I live near bogan territory. Tregear and Mt druit even the bus drivers are afraid to do those routes. my daughters best friends father still has glass in his body from an attack by one of his "fares". They also like throwing bottles and or rocks through the windscreens as the bus passes.

many of the pups I am asked to chip, I am told proudly are genuine red nosed pure bit bulls... the majority aren't even vaccinated let alone microchipped. But at least this few care enough to get their new puppy chipped and vaccinated when I explain to them it has to be vaccinated or it will die... my vet calls the area the greatest vector of unvaccinated dogs in the sydney basin.

the ankc figures for puppies bred may be imploding but not there... no ankc breeders involved in this roaring untraceable trade

Edited by asal

20 minutes ago, asal said:

They are everywhere, the bogans love them. big tough dog to scare people with. I am a microchipper and I get many phone calls from friends of friends who have bought a puppy on gumtree. I live near bogan territory. Tregear and Mt druit even the bus drivers are afraid to do those routes. my daughters best friends father still has glass in his body from an attack by one of his "fares". They also like throwing bottles and or rocks through the windscreens as the bus passes.

many of the pups I am asked to chip, I am told proudly are genuine red nosed pure bit bulls... the majority aren't even vaccinated let alone microchipped. But at least this few care enough to get their new puppy chipped and vaccinated when I explain to them it has to be vaccinated or it will die... my vet calls the area the greatest vector of unvaccinated dogs in the sydney basin.

the ankc figures for puppies bred may be imploding but not there... no ankc breeders involved in this roaring untraceable trade

What breed are they being chipped as then? 

32 minutes ago, Scratch said:

What breed are they being chipped as then? 

I know that one!

Back when I was grooming,I'd get endless bookings for 'lab x' or 'staffy x' dogs. All pitty types. Most of the owners would later confess that the dog was really a pitbull, he he. One told me he wanted to see how I handled the 'good' dog before he let me near the 'difficult' dog (never went back there).

Calling the dog an amstaff or some type of bulldog was also popular.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scratch said:

Well there was once in import ban on German shepherd dogs, it did nothing to eradicate the breed in Australia and was eventually repealed.

For people from overseas, like Scratch, Australia, like the USA, is a federation of states and territories. The import ban is federal law since the federal government has jurisdiction over imports. Restricted breed legislation (RBL or BSL) is the province of state and territory governments to enact or not and is generally left to local government to enforce. The ACT (equivalent to US DC), for example, has no restriction on pit bulls, preferring a 'deed not breed' approach. In other states there have been some expensive (to councils) court challenges on breed identification making councils reluctant to enforce RBL. I understand BT's and crosses are popular with pig hunters as catch dogs while one hears from time to time of underground dog fighting. Surplus pups from these sources find their way into the community through ads on Gumtree.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, asal said:

interesting article.

biggest surprise english staffies had the highest rate? not that their cousins are far behind. warning, dont watch the video of the bullmastif attack in the video, is very upsetting.

wondered who is the writer..  big surprise, she is Peter Harveys daughter... loved him, as I think did much of australia

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/shelters-are-full-of-pitbulls-for-a-good-reason/news-story/9f17194fc2abec7014eda4141c700333

zilch to do with dogs, but another of her articles and a good warning if you intend shopping at ikea. never did more than wander around one of their shops.

she sure paints a good picture with words. dont try drinking your tea or coffee while reading.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/claire-harvey-thats-what-i-call-crap-service/news-story/9870c4ae06f9ca4467af4dc0d2e6cd96

Stupid article, I'd say.  Staffies and labs are the most common purebred dogs in Oz, so no surprise they come high on the list.  GSDs, ACDs and rotties are common as well. If the ranking were in attacks per 10, 000 dogs (or whatever) it would look quite different.

Pitt bulls... outlawed and often owned for the wrong reasons, again no surprise that you can find dirt on them.  Big guardian dogs can be pretty dangerous... But 1. There aren't that many of them; and 2. They tend to be in rural environments and not exposed to situations that get dogs reported. 

The most dangerous dogs are the ones with the least responsible owners.  BTW do you count a dog as dangerous if it bites an unsupervised child who pulls its ears or tries to take away a bone? 

Edited by sandgrubber

On 27/01/2019 at 11:59 AM, Scratch said:

No restrictions on them in the ACT, and while all dogs are meant to be desexed, we all know how little use the law is without it being enforced.  It is also possible to apply for a permit to keep a sexually entire dog.  I'm not saying people are breeding then en masse in the ACT and then exporting them, just that there are plenty of them here.

• 1 month later...