Snook

Meaty bones and gas - updated as problem solved

21 posts in this topic

Snook   

Over the last several weeks I've been going through a process of working out what does and doesn't agree with Justice. He used to have a cast iron stomach but now that he's an old man, he seems to be a bit more sensitive. I've switched him off of kibble and on to Big Dog Wellness BARF Patties, which he's doing great on. I've figured out that lactose free yoghurt doesn't give him mild gas like regular yoghurt does, so have changed that too. 

I fed him just the Big Dog patties and sardines for a week, both to make sure the recommended feeding amount was right for him and doesn't cause weight gain (and it's spot on) and to see if he stopped asphyxiating me with his gas if he didn't have any meaty bones (turkey and lamb necks). We had a wonderful gas free week and I returned to feeding meaty bones tonight and gave him a lamb neck for dinner. He's been having bad gas again for the last hour or so and I can hear his little belly gurgling occasionally.

He absolutely loves his meaty bones and they're great for his teeth (he had a dental recently when he had to have an infected tooth removed, so has had any plaque etc scraped off, but his breath was starting to get a little bit unpleasant towards the end of the week with no bones, and in the past his breath has been much nicer the day after a bone, especially a lamb neck, so I know it makes a big difference) but I'm concerned that the gas means he's not digesting them properly and they may not be good for his gut any more. I'm also concerned that the gas may be uncomfortable for him. I'd love some advice from DOLers who know more than I do about this stuff. I've never really had to worry about it before because he could eat anything and everything except kangaroo when he was younger with no issues. Even a jar of coconut oil and a tub of butter that he stole and ate on separate occasions didn't upset his stomach at all (although the coconut oil created shimmery poos that looked like they'd come from a unicorn lol) , so this is all very new to me. 

Edited by Snook

Rebanne   

Red meat/bones make my greys stink to high heaven! They still get them occasionally, usually when I know the weather is okay for them to sleep outside. Chicken does not have the same effect. Maybe try Justice on raw chicken or turkey? Mine have tried emu necks but they weren't fussed about them.

Snook   

I'm going to try it in a couple of days to make sure but I'm pretty sure the Turkey necks were causing the same problem, as he was rotten after eating those as well, but at the time I wasn't sure if it was his kibble or not, since that was causing soft stools. I can certainly try chicken as well and see if that's the same though. 

karen15   

My staffy used to be a killer. One particular day the cat and I were on the couch and this weapon of mass destruction, chemical warfare level fart strikes. The cat and I anxiously searched the ceiling waiting for oxygen masks to drop, like they do in plane emergencies. Alas, the house had not been fitted with the life saving devices. We only just survived!

Edited by karen15
  • Haha 5

Snook   

My friend has suggested that Justice be accompanied by a gas mask when we visit, and to have some on standby at home at all times. :laugh:

• Haha 2

RuralPug   
9 hours ago, Snook said:

My friend has suggested that Justice be accompanied by a gas mask when we visit, and to have some on standby at home at all times. :laugh:

LOL! As they age I've found that some dogs don't digest certain fats so well anymore, and that's what produces gas. Dairy does it with most of the seniors I've known as well as raw fatty meat offcuts and bones.  Try lower fat meaty bones like roo leg bones or roo tail or almost any wild meat bones (rabbit, feral goat, feral deer etc.) You just can't get lean lamb or turkey LOL they are deliberately farmed to be high in fat. Sometimes you can be lucky with beef bones though (especially necks) and get fairly low fat ones.

I'm also told that other gas producers in the diet include soy and legumes. A bit of activated charcoal or probiotics in the diet is said to help these to be digested more thoroughly which lessens the toxic gas. Doesn't seem to help with the fatty bones though. 

Snook   
5 hours ago, RuralPug said:

LOL! As they age I've found that some dogs don't digest certain fats so well anymore, and that's what produces gas. Dairy does it with most of the seniors I've known as well as raw fatty meat offcuts and bones.  Try lower fat meaty bones like roo leg bones or roo tail or almost any wild meat bones (rabbit, feral goat, feral deer etc.) You just can't get lean lamb or turkey LOL they are deliberately farmed to be high in fat. Sometimes you can be lucky with beef bones though (especially necks) and get fairly low fat ones.

I'm also told that other gas producers in the diet include soy and legumes. A bit of activated charcoal or probiotics in the diet is said to help these to be digested more thoroughly which lessens the toxic gas. Doesn't seem to help with the fatty bones though. 

Thanks so much for all of that. The lactose free yoghurt seems to be much better for his belly. Unfortunately roo is the only thing that's always been a problem for Justice and gives him diarrhoea but I'll look in to the other meats that you've suggested. It's interesting to know that it's likely the fat content of the lamb and Turkey necks, as I'd thought they were quite good choices because all of the excess fat is cut off of both of them, but perhaps they're not so great after all. I don't think there is any soy or legumes in his Big Dog (I'd have to double check) and if there are, he didn't react to it during the week of just the Big Dog and sardines, but I'll certainly keep what you said about them in mind if his diet changes again. 

• Like 1

Snook   

I just thought I'd provide an update on this in case it helps anyone else. A bit over a week ago I started Justice on this probiotic in the mornings and haven't been asphyxiated since the second day on it. A big test was my friend and his doggy buddy coming over on Saturday night, since even when he's been okay beforehand, he seems to get quite excited and knocks all of us out with his gas when she visits. There wasn't a single bad smell the whole time, despite eating a manky lamb neck the day before that had been buried for more than 12 hours. I couldn't be happier with how well the probiotic seems to be working and it means that Justice gets to keep having his favourite meaty bones without feeling bloated, and without killing anyone with his noxious gas. 

https://www.thevetshed.com.au/buy/paw-digesticare60-150gm/PAWDIGEST60

• Like 10

LOL ..hey Mr. Joostice ..bet it's nice to feel welcome again :) ..and to probably not have a rumbly tum .

• Like 3

Snook   
47 minutes ago, persephone said:

LOL ..hey Mr. Joostice ..bet it's nice to feel welcome again :) ..and to probably not have a rumbly tum .

I bet he feels a lot better for it and I'm very much enjoying not needing a gas mask.. lol. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Snook said:

I just thought I'd provide an update on this in case it helps anyone else. A bit over a week ago I started Justice on this probiotic in the mornings and haven't been asphyxiated since the second day on it. A big test was my friend and his doggy buddy coming over on Saturday night, since even when he's been okay beforehand, he seems to get quite excited and knocks all of us out with his gas when she visits. There wasn't a single bad smell the whole time, despite eating a manky lamb neck the day before that had been buried for more than 12 hours. I couldn't be happier with how well the probiotic seems to be working and it means that Justice gets to keep having his favourite meaty bones without feeling bloated, and without killing anyone with his noxious gas. 

https://www.thevetshed.com.au/buy/paw-digesticare60-150gm/PAWDIGEST60

I use the same brand. My Dally has never smelt better :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Great pupdate!

Cast iron stomach Mal came down with a stomach condition in ... July maybe? Yet I still feel new to all this!

He does well on metronizadole, RC Gastrointestinal Low Fat, and poached chicken for tablets. I can also give him some steamed veg and a bit of freeze dried tripe without him getting sick, but he goes downhill so readily when I mix things up.

He had zero response to Protexin so we’ve just started Fortiflora. Paw Digesticare will be the next one to try if that’s unsuccessful. The aim is to get him off the metro.

Thankfully his coat is feeling soft again and the unexplained weight loss has stopped.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Snook   
8 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Great pupdate!

Cast iron stomach Mal came down with a stomach condition in ... July maybe? Yet I still feel new to all this!

He does well on metronizadole, RC Gastrointestinal Low Fat, and poached chicken for tablets. I can also give him some steamed veg and a bit of freeze dried tripe without him getting sick, but he goes downhill so readily when I mix things up.

He had zero response to Protexin so we’ve just started Fortiflora. Paw Digesticare will be the next one to try if that’s unsuccessful. The aim is to get him off the metro.

Thankfully his coat is feeling soft again and the unexplained weight loss has stopped.

The poor little munchkin. How awful for him and how worrying for you. I'm glad the weight loss has stopped and he's looking better. I really hope Fortiflora or Digesticare settle things down for him. That's a long time for you both to be dealing with such a sensitive stomach. :(

Snook   
22 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

what's the daily dose rate please?

On the bottle it says:

Pups/kittens 2g

Small dogs 2g

Medium dogs 4g

Large dogs 6g

Cats 2g

Other companion animals eg rabbits, Guinea pigs up to 2g in feed

One level scoop holds approx 4g. I'm giving Justice one level scoop once a day. 

• Like 1