Bed wetting and other toilet problems

Sdekrets

I have an 18 week dachshund pup who wets in his bed as well as in other places around the house. We only have a backyard courtyard with no grass so I have put down a patch of fake grass for him to toilet on. He has gone once or twice on this but not often. I take him out in the morning, at night, after food etc. but I can’t get him to toilet. The only way he will go is if I take him for a walk. But I can’t do this all the time. I’m terrified of what happens if he’s still doing this when winter comes along. Could anybody please assist with ideas on how I can train him to toilet outside in our courtyard? Or to go to the toilet when taken outside? I feel like we are trying really hard but not getting anywhere.

My first thing (because I'm a worry wort} would be a vet check ..just in case there is a UTI or some medical problem.  

I would be crate training the pup .. it is very unusual for pups to toilet in their sleeping area.        And I confine pups with an x pen, with maybe an area with newspapers or your fake grass, and a box or crate, when I can't be actively supervising .. i.e. watching puppy like a hawk for signs he needs to pee.   I take pup out on a light lead, after eating, after waking up, after playing .. the key times they will need to wee .. and just wait around near the area they like to toilet.  When you get success, reward the pup.    It can be a pain to be watching like this, but it is really only for a few weeks.

The other super important thing is to clean up any accidents in the house with a specially formulated enzymatic cleaner, otherwise pup has marked toilet spots he will return to.  Oh, and if you do see him start to pee in the wrong place, quickly pick him up (that will usually turn off the flow, and take him outside .. then you can tell him he's a good boy when he toilets appropriately.

How long have you had the pup?  I'd be asking the breeder if the pups had a particular surface they were used to peeing on.  

What is pup's routine , and how have you approached his toilet training ? 

On 1/27/2019 at 12:00 PM, Sdekrets said:

I’m terrified of what happens if he’s still doing this when winter comes along.

Why? Dogs still need walking in Winter ..rain hail and shine , or snow . 

Have you tried using a cue word EVERY TIME he toilets .. don't chat to him ..just use the phrase or words..  make walks a little shorter ... use the word/s make walks a little shorter ..use the words ..over a couple of weeks ... 

When you got him ..what surface was he used to peeing on ? 
That can have a BIG impact on  later choices . The dog feels a certain texture ..and his little brain says .."PEE HERE" ..and he does. :)

then ..that place smells like a toilet ..and he thinks ...and he remembers ..and he feels ..and he PEES ... and he is relieved  :)

And so it goes . 

IF he does have an irritated bladder or similar, of course it will be harder for him  to get any control ..so YES to a VET VISIT   top rule out any nasties ....

• Like 1

Thank you. I'll give all of this a go over the next week. I have also brought a new bed and that seems to be helping. He hasn't done pee in it once. Also I didn't mean I wouldn't be taking him for a walk in winter - it is just that I don't really want to be doing a 20 min walk around the block every time I need him to go to the toilet. Again, thanks for all the comments.