Old dog drinking

Gretel

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Our old Cavalier, Lacey, always drinks with one ear dipped in water. She used to do it occasionally but she’s always dripping water through the house now and the others don’t like drinking out of the bowl after it’s been dunked in. We haven’t changed bowls. I’ve no idea why? Any thoughts please? I guess I could clip her ears off but she’s so pretty. It’s not a major hassle. Just need to clean bowls frequently and mop the floors. I’m just curious as to why.

Thanks

I can’t really give a definitive answer as to why, but maybe look into a spaniel bowl for water.  Picture included but just search ‘spaniel bowl’ in google and you’ll find choices of steel and ceramic also. The design help the ears go on the outside of the bowl. Tall, with a narrower opening, and sloping sides. 

Also if Lacey would leave it on, a snood may help. 

F5F9E3D8-E40F-410C-882B-3B24E1B8546D.jpeg

FBDDDC91-9B5C-49EA-9D1B-33047E5346D4.jpeg

Hmm, thoughts on why actually......maybe due to aging when she bends to drink, holding her spine or her legs in a particular position may hurt a bit so she compensates by changing posture, which in turn sees her head on a slight tilt. Same for all joints I guess.  Maybe try raising the bowl if it is on the floor, and see if anything changes. 

Yes that may be a possibility as to why. Thanks. She does get sore and is on meds for arthritis. The bowls we have are fairly narrow and have kept Spaniel ears out for years.  She wears a snood for dinner but she wouldn’t keep it on all day. I’ll see if I can find something to sit the bowls on and see if that helps :) 

• Like 2