Puppy Weight / Feeding Schedule

Jelch

Hi All,

I recently adopted a 9 week old Blue Amstaff, im worried he isnt gaining enough weight

He is currently around the 7-8kg mark at 10 Weeks, Is this a healthy weight?

Ive got him on a dry food diet, Purina Supercoat Puppy, trying to avoid the use of wet food because when i tried it with my older English Staffy, he never went back to Dry food

Can someone provide some advice on

1. Is 7-8kg weight at 10 Weeks a healthy weight for a Amstaff (Generally speaking)

2. Any Recommended feeding schedule/amounts i should be following?

3. Can i mix a little bit of raw egg yolk with the dry food in every meal to make it more pleasant for him to eat?

Thanks in advance

Did the breeder not provide you with a diet sheet? You can add lots of things to his dry food, like sardines and eggs. I would also make at least one meal raw food like chicken necks or wings. As your pup grows he can have raw turkey pieces as well. 

9 minutes ago, Rebanne said:

Did the breeder not provide you with a diet sheet? You can add lots of things to his dry food, like sardines and eggs. I would also make at least one meal raw food like chicken necks or wings. As your pup grows he can have raw turkey pieces as well. 

Breeder did not provide any diet sheet, just advised that he was feeding the pups dry food, i do give him raw food as a snack some days but my main issue is getting him to eat his dry food. He was eating it when we first got him, but the past 2 days it seems like he is eating less dry food 

Is there any general guide to how much dry food i should be feeding him per meal?

Is there no information on the bag of dry food?

There is usually a table of recommended amounts/feeds per day etc according to the weight of the puppy, his age and the anticipated adult weight on the side or back of the bag.

• Like 1

Do what JRG suggests and see what the guide says. Now often you will need to feed a bit more or less depending on the puppy. I like my babies to be a little bit plump, not fat. At 10 weeks my pups are still being fed 3 times a day. At least one meal is raw. I have a different breed but I would suggest 2 chicken wings would make one meal. 1/2 dozen necks another. The other 2 meals would be 1/2 to 1 cup of the dry, with some sardines, eggs, puppy milk added. Hard to give exact quantities. Has pup been seen by a vet? Up to date with worming and vaccinations? Is puppy happy and running around? 

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

Do what JRG suggests and see what the guide says. Now often you will need to feed a bit more or less depending on the puppy. I like my babies to be a little bit plump, not fat. At 10 weeks my pups are still being fed 3 times a day. At least one meal is raw. I have a different breed but I would suggest 2 chicken wings would make one meal. 1/2 dozen necks another. The other 2 meals would be 1/2 to 1 cup of the dry, with some sardines, eggs, puppy milk added. Hard to give exact quantities. Has pup been seen by a vet? Up to date with worming and vaccinations? Is puppy happy and running around? 

Noted, im going to start adding kibble toppers like Egg, puppy milk etc. Ill also substitute one of the 3 meals with raw meats.

He has had his 1st vaccination, due for his second this coming saturday, he is de-wormed every fortnight as advised by vet,  Extremely playful and energetic

Thanks for your advice!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JRG said:

There is usually a table of recommended amounts/feeds per day etc according to the weight of the puppy, his age and the anticipated adult weight on the side or back of the bag.

There is a guide on the bag, but was hoping for some info specific to the breed. Guide says between 120g-220g/ day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRG said:

If I followed the recommendations on the bag, my Labbies would be beyond roly-poly. 

It's always better to go by how fat or thin the dog is... For example, how much rib is showing.  You can easily find diagrams for this using Google. I like to see a little puppy fat at 9 weeks, but trim by 16 or 18 weeks.  7-8 kg sounds like a reasonable range (with young Lab pups, my rule of thumb was a tad under 1 kg per week; I was working with relatively big boned, deep chested lines) but a higher figure might be appropriate for a very robust pup, and under 7 kg would be OK for a pup with relatively small frame.

Edited by sandgrubber

1 hour ago, Jelch said:

There is a guide on the bag, but was hoping for some info specific to the breed. Guide says between 120g-220g/ day

A cup weighs over 200 grams. So maybe 1/2 cup for 2 meals. Raw for the other. Ask your vet for their opinion on your pups body condition.