SamToocan

Brindle Pug in Australia

76 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, SamToocan said:

Thanks for your input everyone :) 

Yes I bred them my female was artificially inseminated. There is absolutely no change any other male got to her. 

Sam 

did you do an AI from your dog or did you purchase semen ?

thr fact that there are no pedigrees available I would suggest that one or both of your dogs have been crossed with something .

i would be careful advertising the pup for sale as a rare brindle pug as there is no such thing .

attaching pics is very very easy just press the click to choose files . 

~Anne~   

The answer to your anomaly is in your post. The adult dogs were sold as pure but not registered. It sounds like you’re interested in breeding so why would you buy two unregistered dogs to breed with? 

As others have said, there is Buckley’s and none chance that the offspring are pure. Are they a pug? Sure, but not in purity. 

I’ve been watching the US and their brindles for 20 years or so. I still am not a fan, but that’s just me. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SamToocan said:

Both the parents were sold as pure but were not registered.

So "purebred" but not AKC registered .

34 minutes ago, haoxian said:

I am Assuming they are both Registered Pure Bred Pugs ??? 

haoxian   

Sam 

It seems an awful expensive thing to do an AI on your Girl when you don't have a registered Pedigree..

Hope you weren't scammed into buying any of that dodgy semen imported from UK as a rare colour? It is being advertised for huge dollars & is a complete fraud.. 

In Australia advertising something that it's not is fraught with danger & opens up a can of worms in the courts.

There is NO such thing as a Brindle Pug.. It is simply the mating of 1 or 2 cross-breeds.. IF you have one in your litter then unfortunately you got scammed somewhere.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

sheena   
1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

When a female is AI'd, (any species) it means that the offspring she produces from that breeding was by AI and not necessarily by natural mating. The female herself was not necessarily produced by AI.

Even when a bitch is artificially inseminated, it is still called a mating (or matings plural if semen from more than one dog is used, which is allowed if the the litter is DNA'd for parentage).
Does that clear it up for you?

Yes, but the OP says that he mated his male & female dog together & got a brindle, but then he goes on to say that the bitch was AI'ed.  I know what AI means, I live on a farm, but his statement conflicts

~Anne~   

I think Rebanne was on the money with her earlier comment.

We’ve avoided this particular pretend pug for many years in Aus. There’s been a few but they’ve not taken off in popularity - thank f***. 

I think someone is seeing $ signs. Nothing makes sense otherwise  - AI for an unregistered pair? Gullible anyone? Pfft,  load of shit that it was a surprise. 

Edited by ~Anne~
  • Like 1

Just now, sheena said:

but his statement conflicts

Why ? 
I have seen AI done with dog & bitch in the same room ..any number of times . If the time is right ..but nothing is happening , a sample can be obtained and AI done  then & there ... 

• Like 2

RuralPug   
10 minutes ago, sheena said:

Yes, but the OP says that he mated his male & female dog together & got a brindle, but then he goes on to say that the bitch was AI'ed.  I know what AI means, I live on a farm, but his statement conflicts

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, @sheena. His statements do not conflict at all to me - in what way do they conflict for you? Hopefully pers's reply has cleared it up for you. The fact that the bitch was AI'd does not exclude the semen used in that AI coming from his own dog.

If you are mostly accustomed to AI's on livestock where the semen comes, usually, from a sire far away LOL I can understand the confusion. That also happens in dogs but what pers said happens quite a lot too!

• Like 1

haoxian   
1 hour ago, RuralPug said:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, @sheena. His statements do not conflict at all to me - in what way do they conflict for you? Hopefully pers's reply has cleared it up for you. The fact that the bitch was AI'd does not exclude the semen used in that AI coming from his own dog.

If you are mostly accustomed to AI's on livestock where the semen comes, usually, from a sire far away LOL I can understand the confusion. That also happens in dogs but what pers said happens quite a lot too!

In the OLd Days the term AI was only used with Frozen or Chilled.. 

Them days the old Turkey Baster was the "tool" of choice if you had a lazy or non-performing sire.

The choice of words used by Sam is a little loose & naive especially when considering the question about Brindles in the Pug Breed.. Any reputable Breeder knows full well that a Brindle in Pugs can only come from using Cross-Breeds. DNA just makes it an impossible outcome from Pure Fawn or Black matings. 

This question bobs up quite often.. BUT we never seem to see any paperwork to support the claims of pure bred pugs.

Rebanne   

A side by side AI, both dogs at the vets would not be that expensive. Cheaper still if you know how to do it yourself. Nothing like the cost of doing Surgical or TCI. So not a deterrent to someone breeding unregistered dogs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, haoxian said:

Pretty simple really There is a little tag down below each message that says Drag Files here to attach or Choose Files..

IF you are having that issue then perhaps Pedigree Details of the Sire & Dam.. 

I am Assuming they are both Registered Pure Bred Pugs ??? 

Capture.JPG

I don't have that attachment, I have insert other media which's asks for a URL 

AI doesn't prove that all semen came from the AI.  

I suspect many would be breeders turn to "purebred but no papers" or breed despite spay neuter contracts and/or limited register out of frustration with the difficulty that newcomers have buying on full register... especially if they have no interest in showing.  This problem is likely to be worse in breeds, such as the pug or the GSD, where there are health reasons to breed away from the interpretation of the standard that gets rewarded in the show ring. 

Poor little Pugs with their flat faces,  that can hardly breathe  when they exercise,  &  often need surgery on their nose &  mouth just so they can live & breathe 

I feel so sad for the little pugs I see on Vet shows & the operations they have just to live,

I would like all dogs  to have nice long noses like Poodles & live a nice life being able to run & play  with no concerns about basic breathing  

• Like 1

haoxian   
11 hours ago, SamToocan said:

I don't have that attachment, I have insert other media which's asks for a URL 

surely you can take picture of your own Litter?

Or you can use a cut paste & copy of wherever you are wanting to see on the page.. Whole Page the ALT & Print Screen is handy then just paste an save to an image.. 

Seems all too hard here..

So where did the MALE come from & who bred that Dog ?? That should be simple...

Sounding more like a question of where do I get one rather than here is my Litter.. 

Sadly such questions bring out the Crazy Loons that know little of the Breed or the Standard.

Edited by haoxian

Sam would this be the puppy that you bred - it’s just as easy to load pics here s it is to Facebook 

if this is the puppy that’s not a brindle pattern  it’s just a baby loosing it’s baby coat and not they can be older than three weeks when they completkt lighten, in fact they change colour as they age .

45C12BC0-CDDD-4056-82FB-8C8DD3827C7F.jpeg

RuralPug   

@SamToocan if the picture that Fliss posted (I presume from your FB page?) is that of the pup that you think is brindle - please relax!

That puppy is not brindle at all. If it did keep those marks into adulthood (which I strongly doubt) it would simply be what we call a 'mismark' , which can include a black saddle instead of just a black trace or black or white patches where they shouldn't be any.

This could easily be a pure pug. Mismarks can pop up in the best of lines, don't worry. If it does remain a mismark then I wouldn't ever allow it to be directly bred from and I wouldn't repeat the mating that produced this, but I wouldn't worry about the puppy not being pure Pug just on that account.

It could very easily be a pure pug, even it did turn out to be a mismarked one (which I suspect it won't do anyway). Okay? Big sighs of relief all around!

Next time you choose to breed a litter, I would strongly recommend that you learn a bit more first - becoming a member of DogsNSW and studying for the breeder's exam will start you off in that direction and finding a mentor in your state with a depth of knowledge (like Fliss) would be fantastic for you!

Edited by RuralPug
fat finger typo
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, haoxian said:

surely you can take picture of your own Litter?

Or you can use a cut paste & copy of wherever you are wanting to see on the page.. Whole Page the ALT & Print Screen is handy then just paste an save to an image.. 

if they are only using their phone .. I can understand !! I have an android phone , and have as yet not found a way to post photos ....  

BDJ   

i know next to nothing about pugs, so have nothing to contribute to the original question, but if I saw that pup I would also think 'brindle', so if that is a 'normal' colour for a pug puppy that turns out 'non brindle' I can completely understand the confusion :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BDJ said:

i know next to nothing about pugs, so have nothing to contribute to the original question, but if I saw that pup I would also think 'brindle', so if that is a 'normal' colour for a pug puppy that turns out 'non brindle' I can completely understand the confusion :)

BDJ  Brindle is not a naturally occurring pug colour . 

• Like 1

BDJ   

Hi FlissPrideaux - thanks, that is one thing I do know about pugs :laugh:  - I used to show other breeds so have seen squillions around the rings over the years, but never handled them or personally know any pug breeders.

But I have seen plenty of brindles in other breeds, and the picture of that pug baby certainly matched a brindle coat pattern.

What I have learnt on this thread is that pug (and possibly other breeds) babies can have shading that looks brindle, but actually isn't.  I guess its like many other breeds (dalmations born without spots, shelties born with wide white blazes will often end up without a full blaze or only a fine strip as it narrows as they grow etc) what you see at 4/5 days is not what you end up with colour/marking wise.

• Like 2