North Queensland Flood - Farm Photos

Little Gifts

*WARNING*

Graphic images of the effect of the recent extreme weather in North Queensland on a Brahman farm. Very, very sad but it will give you some insight into the extensive impact of something like this on just one farm and family in that area.

https://www.facebook.com/jacqueline.curley.969/media_set?set=a.2304320376259409&type=3

• Sad 1

Absolutely devastating and that is just one farm and family. We went through something similar as a kid with the '74 floods, although I recall we had time to move cattle to higher ground so probably had more land damage (I know we lost a massive dam and water supply source) than stock loss. I do remember the impact on native wildlife too and it went on for months afterwards. They just had nowhere safe to go/live. The flood water also got us cut off from our house and farm for 3 days. We were trying to get home from an emergency trip to the hospital (me - broken arm) and ended up sitting on the roof of our jeep surrounded by rising water needing to be saved. I see these pics and can now imagine how stressed out my parents must've been not knowing what was happening back at their property for those 3 days.

• Sad 2

no idea how many have been affected from what I understand its every property on or beside the entire flood plain, the devastation is appalling, as one lady said, their cattle fed through seven years of drought and in good condition, in the eight days of driving rain and wind lost 50% of their body weight.  The ground is so wet the only way to get feed to the few survivors is by helicopter and there is pitifully few. so your name goes into a hat and if your too far down the list your surviving cattle will be dead before hay can arrive without a miracle and the govt sends the army to help.

pray for them all 

we are in drought still out west , hubby had to pull two of our cows out of mud. one in almost empty dam, the other in a gully with a little muddy patch was all that was left of the water hole.  

spend three days filling the empty dam near the house from the newly equipped bore and keeping them there to hand feed and keep praying for rain, hopefully not on the scale of qld's

Edited by asal
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, persephone said:

Sorry, asal

we are lucky, our place is the headwaters of our creek so not a chance of the whole place going under. so grieve for those poor people and their stock as well as the native animals its a disaster of unimaginable proportions.

Ho my God.

Just saw this. 800 properties were affected by the flood. area the size of Tasmania

• Sad 2