male contraceptive implant

goldenluv

if you think you might want to breed in the future with your boy then I would advise you to freeze some semen before implanting him. Seems a bit of overkill when you are just babysitting. If the bitch is staying for a long time and may come into season while staying with you, you would still have to keep them separate so they don't mate when you are not there.

• Like 1

no she is not in season now and I do have separate areas for them. suppose I am being a bit paranoid, but really do not want any oopsie

just thought that if people have used it with no side affects to the boy, it would just be safer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenluv said:

just thought that if people have used it with no side affects to the boy, it would just be safer.

there have been dogs that never regained their fertility, many more that the implant lasted months longer then it was supposed to and of course some dogs that it worked exactly as designed.

• Like 2

Im not sure if its even on the market anymore & no way would i put the bitch on anything either to stop her season .

Either way as mentioned you will have to keep separate  as males can still mate & tie .
You can give Chlorophyll to help mask the smell & pray your male doesn't go bonkers barking,peeing & not eating so be mindful of bloat risk on him  as well.
Or board the bitch at her ripe time

• 3 months later...

I used it.  12 month implant lasted 2 years, dog did go on to sire a litter.  I have now used it again in an older male dog whom I don't want to GA and desex.  Chances are his testosterone won't ever come back up if he is still around after the implant wears off.
I would only use it if you have collected or if you don't care if the dog is fertile afterwards.  There is a chance thier fertility won't come back after it.  I did a topic on it in here a number of years ago now