Pedigrees, coat color and breed standard

sandgrubber

I like the idea of pedigrees.  A lot of desirable and undesirable dog traits have a strong genetic component - - be it health, temperament, or working ability.  Being able to selectively breed for the good and away from the bad is great, not to mention being able to avoid inbreeding. 

It's so sad that 19th century notions of standardization, beauty and eugenics have gotten so entangled with the keeping of pedigree in the dog world.  

I'm a Labrador person.  It grieves me that the white paw, ear, and chest markings on the St John's dog were arbitrarily excluded from the breed standard - apart from Bolo pads, which were accepted due to one legendary dog owned by a leading figure of the time.  It pains me to see people getting riled by the silver labs debate, while ignoring the Labs who hate water or show traits, such as dog aggression, that should not be permitted in the breed. 

The recent, silly discussion of brindle pugs seems like more of the same. 

If pedigree breeding is to be respected, we need to be less fixated on color and superficial (or extreme) appearance as set forward in breed standards and more dedicated to health, temperament, and - for breeds that work - working ability. Sadly, I can't see that happening within the framework of the Canine Clubs. 

• Like 1

which sadly is why the working breeds developed their own, refusing to become part of the ANKC's.

because the show world is just that, a world away from why the breeds were created.

working ability let alone not morphing them so far from the original that health issues are aggegerated instead,  just aren't on the agenda

wish I knew a solution, as the brindle pug issue showed, the intensity of the fury if anyone asks why not?   Is overwhelming and not in a good way.

same with the banned colours in breeds which have those colours?

I realised what was happening to my first breed I had in the 1970's and made the conscious decision that I had to decide, do I want to breed puppies that a percentage would die before they were six weeks old because they had no skull?  Would not be gasping for breath all their lives, be born from mothers who could deliver their puppies naturally?

all three the result of selecting to  produce SHOW puppies?

Trouble was, to question why are you doing this, would wake the harpie's, who would scream are you a puppy farmer?

off with her head.

Edited by asal

This sort of thing can be changed though if breed members are determined enough. The Border Collie recently had a breed standard refresh and most of the really silly cosmetic things were fixed up ie colours, ears & coat length. 

My purebred, pedigree sable Border Collie is now legal for instance :laugh:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JulesP said:

This sort of thing can be changed though if breed members are determined enough. The Border Collie recently had a breed standard refresh and most of the really silly cosmetic things were fixed up ie colours, ears & coat length. 

My purebred, pedigree sable Border Collie is now legal for instance :laugh:

Only took how many hundred years?  But so glad its finally happened.

problem is if you attract the attention of the harpies, most end up drummed out and give up.

Edited by asal

In my breed there are all sorts of ‘show’ breeders but enough these days put colour in perspective and focus on more essentials traits for me to feel OK about the preservation of the breed. Bigger structural issues affecting society and dog ownership might bring the breed undone, but not the colour or fashion. 

Edited by Diva