Approriate dog fencing

Ren

I'm hoping to be ready for a dog again by the end of the year so I'm currently questioning appropriate fencing heights.

My house is fully fenced but due to the slope and landscaping I need to make changes to the front of the yard fence and gate, as for the rest of the yard perimeter, it's 4ft colourbond.

The size of dog I'm interested in is a Golden Retriever, I've had two other dogs this size at another property where the front fence was 4ft, maybe even a bit lower, with no issues, but I'm not wanting to take chances.

Would adding an extension to the colourbond to make it 5ft be appropriate? Or should the extension really be at least 6ft for this size of dog?

As for the front, it likely wont be colourbond, I'm considering the aluminum slate fencing, does anyone have any experience with that type of fencing and dogs? I assume as long as the gaps between the slats aren't wide enough for a dog to get footing it should be ok?

Thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't consider anything under 5 foot for a backyard. It's often a place a dog is out on it's own. 4 foot would be fine for the front yard if someone is out there with the dog. I don't think dogs should be out the front unattended. Where I live a dog rushing at a front fence scaring passerby's can create some problems for dog and owner.

• Like 3

I’m not a fan of dogs being out the front .. as Rebanne says, it can create problems.

I had to change my dog walking route because owners had their dog/s out the front launching themselves at the fence. Their mentality was because their dogs were behind a fence they were harmless :/ 

Yay for getting a new puppy ! How exciting :) 

17 hours ago, asal said:

according to the POCTA all fences have to be six foot, applies even to chihuhua's,   Forgot about that, not sure when it became law

Well that actually makes sense to me, even for chihuahuas. Remember that fences keep other dogs OUT as well as your own dog IN.

• Like 2

actually if its chain mesh or welded mesh it wont keep a chihuahua in. One of Nancy's boys I was babysitting climbed clean over, as did the first girl I bought from Phil, some of the little buggers climb like cats.

• Haha 2

Thanks everyone for your responses thus far, they're all good points.

Oh I agree about dogs in the front yard unattended, not only that but I hate to think about strangers being able to interact with the dog without supervision.

My post was a bit unclear because I'm trying to refer to the front portion of the fenced backyard. It's not just a standard gate, it's about 6 meters of fencing, set well back from the main street.

Currently that section is aluminum tube fencing, which doesn't offer much privacy and I'd like to avoid giving a dog much vision to bark at passer-bys. Because it's a wider fenced area I'd like to avoid going for the full blocky colourbond there, I'll look into the aluminum slats which offer more privacy but aren't completely solid.

That's a good point about keeping other dogs out too, for sure.

And I agree about the chain mesh as well, I've seen many cases of dogs getting footing to climb those. As stated before, if you've got a dog with a mind of getting out, then you've really got to think beyond standard fencing.

• Like 1

"

Oh I agree about dogs in the front yard unattended, not only that but I hate to think about strangers being able to interact with the dog without supervision.  "

too true, remember thats how a friend lost their dog. family stopped to pet it over the fence, then the father picked it up and they took off with the dog. her owner was weeding the garden and by the time she had regained her feet to run after them, they had piled into their car and gone... she was never found.  

• Sad 4

56 minutes ago, Ren said:

My post was a bit unclear because I'm trying to refer to the front portion of the fenced backyard. It's not just a standard gate, it's about 6 meters of fencing, set well back from the main street.

Currently that section is aluminum tube fencing, which doesn't offer much privacy and I'd like to avoid giving a dog much vision to bark at passer-bys. Because it's a wider fenced area I'd like to avoid going for the full blocky colourbond there, I'll look into the aluminum slats which offer more privacy but aren't completely solid.

Is this the 4 foot section? If so I would definitely want it higher. Short term for privacy you could attach some shadecloth with zip ties. Another option is the sections of brushwood/bamboo you can buy which is 5-6 feet high.

tn_707b3210-36ea-40b9-9eb0-b0dee002bbd3.thumb.JPG.030b2cb94bb4e8e636f10dbcbcf1bc79.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rebanne said:

Is this the 4 foot section? If so I would definitely want it higher. Short term for privacy you could attach some shadecloth with zip ties. Another option is the sections of brushwood/bamboo you can buy which is 5-6 feet high.

tn_707b3210-36ea-40b9-9eb0-b0dee002bbd3.thumb.JPG.030b2cb94bb4e8e636f10dbcbcf1bc79.JPG

Yes this section is also only 4ft. That's not a bad idea about the Bamboo screening! I think I'll be getting a fencing company in to give me some possible options too for permanent solutions.

20 minutes ago, JRG said:

I am seriously concerned that you would even think that 4 foot would keep a Golden in!  They can be excellent jumpers and clear that with ease!

Please don't be so judgmental. Where did I say I intend to keep it at 4ft? The topic is all about my intention to make changes to my fencing.

3 hours ago, JRG said:

I am seriously concerned that you would even think that 4 foot would keep a Golden in!  They can be excellent jumpers and clear that with ease!

What a dog CAN jump and what it WILL jump are quite different.  I've known Goldies to be constrained by a 3 ft fence for years (I had a tenant who bred them). 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

What a dog CAN jump and what it WILL jump are quite different.  I've known Goldies to be constrained by a 3 ft fence for years (I had a tenant who bred them). 

exactly,  Philomena had 5 generations of Golden's over some 20 years who never jumped her 3 foot side fence, even as puppy and adolescent . But  if she was going out and not there to supervise, the puppy yard was 6 foot just to make sure there were no accidents when no one was home. Only after they were adult and out of the puppy stage and had never even thought of transgressing was the puppy yard gate left open and all the yard available to roam when she went out. 

Edited by asal
  • Like 1