Dropped pasterns in puppy

Jackson

I have a 4 month old Japanese Chin who is down on both pasterns.  I have been advised to give him Vit C (Bark Naturals Vitamin C Boost, this is a powder for dogs) and to walk him on stones to help the feet work harder. I have been advised to take him off puppy food which I have done and now wait and wait and wait for things to improve. 

• Like 1

Please put your puppy back on a high quality puppy food- they have regulated amounts of Calcium to phosphorus. 

It is likely that your pup will improve without adding in vitamin C but it won't hurt. 

Further soft surfaces will actually help your pup start using muscles that stabilise the joints. 

This is a common stage in growing. If it is not looking better in a week please see your Veterinarian or see a rehabilitation therapist. 

Dr Jaime Jackson BVSc (Bachelor of Veterinary Science) CCRT (Certificate in Canine Rehabilitation Therapy). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jackson said:

I have a 4 month old Japanese Chin who is down on both pasterns.  I have been advised to give him Vit C (Bark Naturals Vitamin C Boost, this is a powder for dogs) and to walk him on stones to help the feet work harder. I have been advised to take him off puppy food which I have done and now wait and wait and wait for things to improve. 

So what did you replace the puppy food with?
Yes a whole heap of growth problems from loose pasterns and knuckling to joint dysplasia in later life can be caused by the wrong food or the wong ratios of food or exercise. Vitamin C can't hurt even if it probably doesn't help. The only calcium I would add to his diet is natural calcium with the correct balance of phosphorous etc in the form of raw edible bones like chicken necks or especially chicken carcass. (LOL actually the average chicken carcass would be two ot three times his size so take care that it doesn't eat him!! :rofl:) or raw powdered eggshells.

Walking his on gravel as you were told can help but please be careful that you don't then cause other more severe problems by walking him too for or too often. He is a baby and doesn't need long walks.

One other simple thing that you can do to help him is make sure that his feed and water are in raised bowls. You will need to keep adjusting the height as he grows. The aim is to have him just starting to tiptoe when he is is eating or drinking. This gentle stretching helps put muscles and ligaments in their right places.

• Like 1