Goodbye my gorgeous girl

Animal House

The house is eerily quiet.
My bed feels too big for me.
There's no Staffy bum parked next to my pillow, no feet in my back in the middle of the night, pushing for more room.
No face watching me intently each morning for my eyes to open, and when they do, pricked ears and a hopeful look, before a stinky breath slurp and lots of tail thumping.
There's no head cheekily poking around the door when I'm on the loo, waiting to be invited in for pats.
There's no feet dancing up and down on the kitchen floor while I get breakfast ready.
No slurping of the water bowl, leaving a trail of tiny puddles.
There's no head shoved in the fridge door when I open it, inhaling all the food smells, tail madly wagging.
There's no dog stretched out beside me when I have a drink on the verandah enjoying the cool breeze after another hot day.
No sharing of zooper doopers, no puppy dog eyes watching me eat pizza, well, eat anything really.
There's no tripping over tennis balls which magically appear throughout the house and yard.
There's no one laying on the bathroom mat contentedly while I shower.
There's no throwing of balls, endlessly brought back with a wiggly bum.
There's no scruffing of soft toys, one of your favorite things to do.
No playing hide n seek, seeing your happy face when you found me.
There's no Staffy ears to rub, or give belly pats, no more stroking of your boofy head.
There's no slurping of the cats face after he's eaten, despite his protests.
There's too many 'no mores' to list.
There's no you, my shadow for 13 years, my dog, my friend.
I'm going to miss my cat poo eating, floor cleaning, icy pole eating, farting, snoring, ball obsessed, happy faced, wiggly bum beautiful girl.
Run free at the bridge Minty, Charlie would have been there to meet you, with lots of face slurps and bum sniffing no doubt, before running off to see what you could get up to.
I wish I could have been there to see it.
Minty my darling girl, it was a privilege to have been your human.

Minty was adopted through ARF (ACT Rescue and Foster) as a 9 week old puppy. ARF had rescued the heavily pregnant Mum 'Cookie' and her puppies were named after sweet things, Oreo, Fanta, Minty etc etc.  Another Doler adopted one of the puppies as well. 
For 13 years and 4 months, Minty has been a part of this family,  she adored her fur brother Charlie, who passed away 2 years ago at age 16.  Since then, she has been my shadow, literally. 
I'm so grateful to have had her in my life.  She survived her Spindle Cell tumour removal, outliving the 2 year prognosis by 7 months. 
Unfortunately a Mast Cell tumour was hiding in a fatty lump, and surgery to remove it wouldn't have got clear margins.  So we opted for Palliative care at her age, lots of spoiling (more than usual) and we were thankful for every day we had, which ended up being 2 months.   On Friday the vet came to our house, and helped her over the Bridge.  I miss her so much.

min butterball.jpg

min and charlie.jpg

min flying 2014.jpg

Min friday.jpg

• Sad 2

Ohhhh..

What a  wonderful bundle of Minty energy she was!! 
I am so sorry AH ...... they go all too soon , and leave such big holes in our hearts from their scratching around,........ I'm glad she had you as her human for all that time .
Run free, gorgeous girl - that smile will charm everyone  .

• Like 2

Oh AH I am devastated for you at the passing of Minty. You are so right the list of no mores is very long. May your heart be filled with all those wonderful memories that are Minty. She will live on in your heart until you meet again. Huge hugs :heart:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks PM, I miss her smiley face and soft ears, but I had the privilege of being owned by her for over 13 years. They take a piece of your heart when they leave, but it's a small price to pay.  :heart:

Edited by Animal House
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 7:53 PM, stellnme said:

Beautiful words for your girl.  A mast cell tumour took my girl quickly too.  Minty will be in that little corner of your heart where all good dogs live.

I forgot to reply to your post, sorry @stellnme.   I'm sorry you lost your girl too.   Thanks for your kind words, there's quite a few dogs over the years that are tucked away in that corner.

• Sad 1