Grooming dogs with black nails?

reece86

Hi, I have a Jack Russell x Shih Tzu (Ruby) is 4 years old. she gets groomed by a mobile dog was (we tried the groomers at the vet once but she was traumatised) Ruby has black nails and the groomer said they are harder to cut back because they can't spot the veins. the problem is that leaves ruby with really sharp nails and every time she sits on our laps are arms and legs look like we have been attacked by a mountain lion lol.. is there any way around this? or should we just deal with it? I don't want them to cut them too much so she isn't in pain and bleeding. any suggestions? thanks :)

not an experienced groomer, I suspect.

its ok to just file the tips off at least.  You can easily do that yourself.

If you want them shorter, you can just file some more with much less risk of opening the quick, although it sure can take quite a long time that way.

To use the cutting tool,  when cutting them, some one holding a light against the nail you can see the vein. is a big help.

Another think I have done is hold it against the sun so I can see it. but the Torch is easier if you have someone to help. 

although even if you cant, long as you only cut the tip off you wont hit the vein any way as it does not grow to the tip.

this is a good video how to do them and what to look for.

first you need this saver. just in case... stops the bleeding anyway if you do make a mistake.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=kwik+stop+styptic+powder&ul_noapp=true

and dont forget, its fine to file the edges with a nail file to remove the sharp edges as well, so kind to your skin as well.

this guy has more suggestions and worth watching.

forgot to add,,, the human nail clipper he showed is what I use on a small dog. as it overcomes the risk of cutting too much off in one hit but thats me.  give it a try and see how it feels to you. I hook the edge on the bottom of the nail and it only takes a small bit at a time. Unlike the other clippers if you dog moves unexpectedly sometimes, they do just that, but dont panic if you do make a mistake and it bleeds. the powder will stop it anyway.

Never knew you could use corn flour/starch or ordinary flour as well? as he showed in that video. 

my favourite was condys crystals, its faster than anything else but nowadays you cant buy it at the chemists thanks to the terrorist using it to make bombs. sad times we live in today

Edited by asal

A more experienced groomer will get them shorter. But as she is only a small dog you can just round off the sharp edges the groomer is leaving with a professional quality human nail file if you want.

I use clippers and then a dremal with a  sanding band to smooth and shape.  I have big dogs. 

It sounds like they are just snipping them off in one go? They should be using the clippers to take small amounts off at a time, a bit like whittling a piece of wood. Lots and lots of small bits taken off from all angles. Its easy to see the quick before they reach it and it doesn't leave the nails sharp. 

My preference, especially with black nails, is to use a dremel. You can see the start of the quick easily before you reach it and you can file the whole nail around and leave it with no sharp edges.

Another option is to create a scratch board and teach your dog to scratch it themselves. That way they are controlling the action.

If you are on facebook there is a really good group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs which has step by step instructions for all the different methods. Definitely worth checking out.

• Like 3

I agree with DeltaCharlie. Cutting them small amounts at a time worked best for me, sort of like shaving the nail down.

My old dog had very hard black nails, but with this technique there shouldn't be any problem. The nail will cut off looking white and flakey. Once you've cut down enough the nail starts to look black like licorice, stop then.

Dremel is also good, but depends on how hard or long the nails are. Definitely good for smoothing out any sharp edges.

Edited by Ren
  • Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 7:44 PM, DeltaCharlie said:

If you are on facebook there is a really good group called Nail Maintenance for Dogs which has step by step instructions for all the different methods. Definitely worth checking out.

Got in before me! This is the group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/356060287872241?ref=share

And this blog might help you too: https://susangarrettdogagility.com/2013/08/cutting-your-dogs-nails-how-important-is-it-really/

If her nails aren't getting worn down by daily exercise on hard surfaces such as pavement, then you really have to take in the job yourself between grooms. Only getting her nails clipped when she is at the groomer won't get them short enough really.

I am a fan of using a dremel to file down nails, weekly on fast growing nails, as they need it on others. Lots of great advice already given here for you to check out.

@Dogsfevr  gee you always sound so strict,  like a school headmaster  or  Hospital matron!  

Your a dog expert & probably had dogs for many years,   Some dog owner  beginners will feel a bit unsure with different dog-related  tasks,  I know I did.

I use a small Dremel tool on black nails,  weekly or monthly depending on how the nails look

On ‎2‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

Thumbs up for this one .. thank you @Papillon Kisses.  I had seen it before, but forgotten about it, and I revisited it thanks to your post.  My BC boy with only 1 white nail got his done this morning .. trying to use the methods shown.   I do have a nice small pair of clippers like the ones Dr Leslie was using in the video.  I think that's key .. easier to do the whittling, and they don't bruise the nail.   No blood was shed by either of us .. and not even too much objection... mind you they weren't too bad.  Now I just have to make sure I keep up the good work.:laugh:

I do have a mini Dremel (and a big one) but the puppy ate the charger cable for the mini ..and it's hard to keep BC feathers out of the way.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Dogsfevr  gee you always sound so strict,  like a school headmaster  or  Hospital matron!  

Your a dog expert & probably had dogs for many years,   Some dog owner  beginners will feel a bit unsure with different dog-related  tasks,  I know I did.

I use a small Dremel tool on black nails,  weekly or monthly depending on how the nails look

?????????????

Edited by Dogsfevr

5 hours ago, Tassie said:

Thumbs up for this one .. thank you @Papillon Kisses.  I had seen it before, but forgotten about it, and I revisited it thanks to your post.  My BC boy with only 1 white nail got his done this morning .. trying to use the methods shown.   I do have a nice small pair of clippers like the ones Dr Leslie was using in the video.  I think that's key .. easier to do the whittling, and they don't bruise the nail.   No blood was shed by either of us .. and not even too much objection... mind you they weren't too bad.  Now I just have to make sure I keep up the good work.:laugh:

I do have a mini Dremel (and a big one) but the puppy ate the charger cable for the mini ..and it's hard to keep BC feathers out of the way.  

I dampen my dogs furry feet &  that keeps the hair out of the Dremel 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

I dampen my dogs furry feet &  that keeps the hair out of the Dremel 

The feet are OK on the BCs cos I trim the under the foot fur before I start on the nails (they have to be done anyway.)  It's the leg feathers I have trouble with .. need to get some sort of hair clips to pin them up out of the way.  :rofl:   First world problems :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tassie said:

The feet are OK on the BCs cos I trim the under the foot fur before I start on the nails (they have to be done anyway.)  It's the leg feathers I have trouble with .. need to get some sort of hair clips to pin them up out of the way.  :rofl:   First world problems :)

Vet wrap the leg hair or a pair of kids pantyhose

• Like 2