Help! Some alone time desperately needed

Fizsla

Seeking advice on how to enable my 10 week old Vizsla puppy to settle when left alone (and I mean for enough time for me to have a shower or go to the supermarket, not hours on end).

He’s crate trained with no problems at night. In the day he’s based in the open plan living area and we attach his crate to a good sized playpen. This is where we feed him, have his water bowl, his toys and a grass tray to toilet on (although we take him outside usually). Most of the time the doors are open. We close them when we are making dinner etc and he is generally fine as long as he can see us and we’re not sitting on the couch. 

I initially timed self care etc around his naps (possibly a bad move in hindsight) and usually returned before he woke. When not I found him frantically barking and clawing at his crate door/playpen sides. When tired he can usually be settled with a Kong and he’ll go to sleep once I sneak off but no treats or toys left can distract him from being distressed and barking when he wakes up if there is no-one there. Our puppy trainer said to initially ignore him on our return until he starts to calm but he seems to get worse! Today I waited without making any noise when he woke but he was still barking an hour later. When we let him out he’ll jump and run around us for a short time but then be happy playing by himself in the open living area or garden. 

Very confused reading about separation anxiety v attention seeking behaviour and lots of conflicting advice. We love our pup and just want to make sure we’re doing what’s best for him so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! 

5 hours ago, Fizsla said:

Our puppy trainer said to initially ignore him on our return until he starts to calm but he seems to get worse! Today I waited without making any noise when he woke but he was still barking an hour later. When we let him out he’ll jump and run around us for a short time but then be happy playing by himself in the open living area or garden. 

It’s years since I’ve had even young dogs, let alone puppies, but your puppy is very young, still just a tiny baby who must be really missing his mum and siblings.   There are Vizsla owners on DOL so hopefully they will come in with some advice.   Some trainers remind of a woman (in the UK I think) who’d set herself up as an expert on babies, how to settle them, how to calm them, etc etc.  She’d never had children of her own !!

Following advice, I once (yes once) tried ignoring one of my dogs because she would jump all over me when I returned home from work.  It was horrible.  She was so upset and starting whimpering and crying and crawling along the floor.  Never did it again.  

If your dog is happy after you pay attention to him why not just do that?  If you had a toddler who ran to you in delight when you came home what would be your reaction?  

There are a million posts here and on other social media platforms from people who can never go to the bathroom alone once they’ve become dog and/or cat owners  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:.  

Thats why there called a Velcro breed .Your breeder should be your first helpline after all there savvy with the breed BUT keep in mind pup has left its littermates,its suddenly in a new home with "strange" people  & starting to find its feet .

I have a breed that can be very similar many trainers would say its sep anxiety & its isn't its the velcro dog aspect so teaching independence, ability to amuse its self is so important .
For me its very important to shut that door & instill "you can cope outside" time & you have the best weather to do this .If pup plays up whining i don't ignore ,i will go outside BUT & i stress  i walk out the door like the dog doesn't exist & pretend to go do something .I don't acknowledge what its doing,its reaction,if i have to walk around like a headless chook i do .I will once pup has settled & gone off & done something turn it into a self calming training moment .(toilet training is always a good one)

My breed can be a right royal needy pain & its worth the hard yards at this age BUT i do prefer to use some common sense & if pup is getting insanely distressed distracting with making it a rewarding act .
Your pup will learn but just train and instill alot of independence & by that being in the pen which a good safe option generally requires you to let it out,let in .I tend to feed in no set spot puppies & turn the bowl into a fun session 

• Like 3