Microchip issue for new puppy

fluffball

I purchased a pure bred puppy from Qld, from a lady who reared the puppies on behalf of a breeder in NSW. I spoke to the breeder in NSW to confirm it was legit.  

The puppy was microchipped and I was given a blank form to put my details on, but the section about the authorised implanter was not filled out. The form was not accepted so I contacted the lady who told me I needed to get a vet to fill it out. The first vet refused, and said they had never been asked to do anything like that. The second vet also thought it was weird but did fill it out with a note saying they didn't implant the chip but verified the chip number. Both vets told me the chip should have been registered before the dog was sold. I am worried the form won't be accepted again. 

I am not sure how I can get my details onto the microchip now? 

NSW chips don't show as registered in QLD (or any state except NSW!).If the pups were chipped in NSW before being transferred to QLD (weird but possible) that would explain why chips showed no registration details in QLD. Submit the form and see what happens.

• Like 2

Good luck sorting this mess out. The form shouldn't have been blank. It should have had the signature of the previous owner and also the barcode of the chip number. The vets are right, it should have been registered before being sold. Did you get registration papers for the pup?

So unless they drove the puppies to NSW they would have been chipped in QLD  & that may be the issue in the puppy raiser not wanting there details on the paperwork which they couldn't sign as they may not be the legal owner of the bitch /prefix  or another reason .

The vet who did it is most likely the one who vaccinated them so what does that card say .
What did the breeder say when you phoned them to ask ??

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 1

Are we talking about ANKC registered breeders and a papered pup? Or just a 'breeder'.

There is a way that dodgeys/farmers launder their pups through another state because the chips are registered on different registries and numbers bred can't be tracked. 

Stat dec suggestion is the best way to go really. It's a nightmare trying to chase up a blank chip with no implanter recorded. 

12 hours ago, RuralPug said:

NSW chips don't show as registered in QLD (or any state except NSW!).If the pups were chipped in NSW before being transferred to QLD (weird but possible) that would explain why chips showed no registration details in QLD. Submit the form and see what happens.

the vet has signed it, I expect you will have no trouble now.   

it sure is weird though the chipper didn't fill it out and sign it when the puppy was chipped?

But at least it WAS chipped and I so hope vaccinated..... you would not believe how many phone me to get their much loved new puppy chipped and when I ask for the vaccination card, it hasn't even been vaccinated????????  Now with out the vaccination card I refuse to chip and tell them to take it immediately to their vet for both chipping and vaccination.... at least they are the small percentage who do want to have their puppy chipped and traceable if they lose it.  But figure if I chip and no vaccination they might not get it vaccinated. so far so good ... two were lucky, their pups already had parvo.

I tell them to report the seller immediately as to neither chip or vaccinate is against the law.  so far in 30 years I have never been able to prise out of them the name of the seller or contact details.... they "dont want to get them in trouble".

sheeeesh!

until recently I thought only idiots did this... well got a phone call from my own? granddaughter who surely should know better... nanna, would you please chip my new puppy?  n nope it wasnt vaccinated either.....UGGGH!

where did I fail, how did I fail to get it through to her?

Edited by asal
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In both NSW and QLD it is law that the seller microchips the dog before sale. The evidence of microchipping is the form, signed by the registered microchipper, and it should include the microchip number and details of the pup. 

You need to speak to the seller and tell them they’re not complying with the law and there are penalities. Unless you actually paid the money to the nsw breeder, and it was obvious you were buying a pup from them, it would not be their responsibility.