Best doggy doors for glass?

westiemum

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a medium size doggy door to go in the bottom of a glass external French door.

I'd like one that is simple, seals well against the weather and is easily lockable.  Don't need any other fancy features - I don't think! 

I did a search but couldn't find anything recent.

Please could the DOL brains trust give me some recommendations?

TIA :)

14 minutes ago, westiemum said:

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a medium size doggy door to go in the bottom of a glass external French door.

I'd like one that is simple, seals well against the weather and is easily lockable.  Don't need any other fancy features - I don't think! 

I did a search but couldn't find anything recent.

Please could the DOL brains trust give me some recommendations?

TIA :)

Not the answer you want, but a glass French door doesn't offer much support for a doggy door.  Each side normally has two panes with a thin strio of wood between them.  I can't see how you could make it work without removing both panes and constructing a substantial wood frame. 

2 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Not the answer you want, but a glass French door doesn't offer much support for a doggy door.  Each side normally has two panes with a thin strio of wood between them.  I can't see how you could make it work without removing both panes and constructing a substantial wood frame. 

Thanks Sangrubber - yes you're right but the carpenter has that issue under control. :)  When I say French doors I'm talking about two doors and not necessarily  the multi-pane ones.

10 hours ago, westiemum said:

Thanks Anne, that's what I had in mind - does it lock?

It does. You can lock it so they can only come in, or go out, or you can have both ways locked. It has two black clips on either side of the internal flap and these turn to lock across the flap. 

The reason why i like them is that:

- they’re transparent, so not a huge eyesore 

- they’re quiet compared to all other doors I’ve had. Even the dog door which is now 9 years old and was used extensively when my guys were all still on this earth, was quiet right up until the last time they used it. 

We had ours professionaly installed - which you have to anyway as they’re inserted into glass. 

• Like 1