Great Dane breed standard and health issues for non-standard dogs

battycatlady

I fell in love with my first great dane  - a merle.  She died 7 years ago and I'm ready to get another.  Occassionally, I see ads for colours outside the standards such as a fawnequin or a mantle that is blue rather than black.  Maybe I'm just the suspicious type but I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can go to find out about these non-standard colours and what health implications they might have.  For example, I did some research and discovered the double merle gene.  I was offered a great dane who was deaf but after consulting our vet who advised of other complications, we decided not to go ahead. We intend to purchase a mantle or a blue this time but I'd really like to know more about the breed for no other reason than I'm curious. 

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it.

17 hours ago, battycatlady said:

I fell in love with my first great dane  - a merle.  She died 7 years ago and I'm ready to get another.  Occassionally, I see ads for colours outside the standards such as a fawnequin or a mantle that is blue rather than black.  Maybe I'm just the suspicious type but I'm wondering if there is somewhere I can go to find out about these non-standard colours and what health implications they might have.  For example, I did some research and discovered the double merle gene.  I was offered a great dane who was deaf but after consulting our vet who advised of other complications, we decided not to go ahead. We intend to purchase a mantle or a blue this time but I'd really like to know more about the breed for no other reason than I'm curious. 

Thanks for your help.  I really appreciate it.

Maybe you can help here @Danois and @Flashsmum

Edited by Boronia

There are some Fb groups for Danes which may be of use but a lot of crap information too. Otherwise @sas has put together a lot of resources here re buying a Great Dane. 

http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/downloads.htm

Otherwise I think JP 

There are very few breeders in AU I’d even consider these days.  A lot of crap breeding. 

The main colour related issues are in harle - obviously the deaf issues from double Merle but there is more skin issues with harles too. Blues can also be prone to skin issues (like blues in other breeds).

My old links are broken but I think this is the same piece http://www.apollodane.com/blog/the-art-of-breeding-great-danes/great-strip-tease-show-or-understanding-dane-coat-colour/article-coat-colour-in-the-great-dane/

JP Yousha from ChromaDane has written a lot about colour genetics in Danes. I am assuming she is still current in her thinking. Sas (find her as The Balanced Canine on FB) may have more information on this. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had Whitney,  a blue.  We adopted her from a breeder when she was being retired from breeding at the age of 4 and a half.

She certainly had skin issues.  We tried elimination diets, a saliva sample sent to US, various tests at our vets, but never got a result as to what her allergen was.

In the end we had her on various antihistamines and acupuncture (she had anxiety as well, that's what the acupuncture was originally for).

She also had dilated cardiomyopathy and atrial fibrilation, and in the end succumbed to pain from cancer in her shoulder.  She lived to 11 years and 8 months, which we never expected.

Maybe the fact that she was only 54kgs gave her the longevity.

I don't know how much of the above was related to her colouring or how much was just bad luck. 

Good luck with your searching, you will find the one that is right for you.

V__AF03.jpg

Edited by Flashsmum