Suggestions for teeth cleaning please

Zara cannot have any red meat (she forms struvite crystals) so she has raw chicken...drumsticks, wings and frames. The problem I have is that she pretty near inhales the meat; the minimum chewing required to quickly form it into the right shape so it's forced down her throat, these pieces are usually hucked up and re-shaped to repeat the trying-to-swallow trick at least three more times.

She will not happily chew a bone/frame, her main aim is to get it down as quickly as possible.

Do any Dolers have suggestions some sort of product that is biggish that she can chew on that'll prevent tartar build-up.

Low magnesium is required

41 minutes ago, persephone said:

freeze the frames ? 

I thought of that just after I posted Perse, do you think freezing would also be successful with thighs?

Can one buy ginormous Greenies (are Greenies chewable or do bits of them just crack off?)

I think larger, harder dry biscuits do as well to clean teeth as bones. I haven't livrd near a good bone source for many years so bones are an occasional.  My old girl, at 14 3/4 yrs, has a little tartar buildup but the vet says it's not enough to worry about.  The other dogs have almost no tartar. 

I have heard that tartar is much worse in little dogs and lots of big dogs go through life with no problems. 

I am not sure if there are doggie-biscuits that have very low magnesium and no red meat SG. I have only given Zara fresh turkey necks Perse, I had chopped one in half and gave her the narrower piece, she tried to swallow the whole neck without chewing. I will freeze some and give her the ginormous end.

I was getting good at performing first aid for choking :-/

• Sad 2

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Brush them,electric tooth brush and go for it 

I never thought this was possible :laugh:

I just do it with a toothbrush.  They hate it but they tolerate it.  I can't imagine an electric toothbrush.

I play gentle tug with a silicon cleaning sponge every couple of nights. Thyme particularly likes the double sided small one for molar chewing action. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByRjOn-j3G0/?igshid=1an8h3m900azp

I keep meaning to leave a review somewhere for this unexpected cleaning use :’)

CA007857-B0DA-4AB2-89CB-A2E39934236D.png

It was a post post office in line impulse buy

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Haha 2

Is something like Simply Seaweed an option ? My GSD can be a lazy chewer, and his back teeth were getting a bit yellow. Since adding SS all the build up is gone and his breath is much better. I've just put one of my trainers on to it, will be interesting to see how his dog goes with it.

10 hours ago, leac1801 said:

Is something like Simply Seaweed an option ? My GSD can be a lazy chewer, and his back teeth were getting a bit yellow. Since adding SS all the build up is gone and his breath is much better. I've just put one of my trainers on to it, will be interesting to see how his dog goes with it.

Thanks Leac but she is on meds to prevent struvite crystals and must have a low magnesium diet, the Ascophyllum nodosum (which is Simply Seaweed) showed high magnesium.

By the way it is much better to buy the Ascophyllum nodosum as kelp powder...same stuff without the advertising blurb and a fraction of the cost https://au.iherb.com/pr/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Kelp-Powder-1-lb-453-6-g/22573

I've also put my dogs on seaweed for many years, and then it got terribly expensive so I stopped.  I'm not sure they helped that much.  My older one has good teeth but my younger one has terrible teeth.  The one i used was called plaque off, the reviews says it does miracles for some owners (google the product on amazon US, you will find a lot more reviews).  You only need a tiny amount.