URGENT. PLEASE HELP ME

FaithAlcock

Hi my name is Faith Alcock and I was the owner of a beautiful male bullmastiff named Riot. 

On the 1st of January 2019, my beloved dog Riot was found and taken back to UNANDERRA RSPCA. Still to this day I have absolutely no clue of how he was able to get out of my back yard as my fences are rather tall. At the time Riot was impounded I was completely unaware  of what had happened until 1 week or 2 later because I was on a short holiday. Riot was left in the care of my mother & sister. When I became aware of the whereabouts of my beautiful boy Riot I contacted the UNANDERRA RSPCA and SHELLHARBOUR CITY COUNCIL immediately. I also went into the RSPCA and identified him. By this time the fees were $800+ and being on the pension and  the sole Carer for my mother there was absolutely no way I would be able to afford that amount of money straight away. After I explained that to the RSPCA and SHELLHARBOUR council the fees were lowered to $300 and even that amount was still to much for me to pay in one hit. I tried absolutely everything in my power to try and come up with the money but I was unsuccessful. Since I wasn’t able to pay his release fees he now belongs to UNANDERRA RSPCA and now he is currently under assessment to see if he is fit to be put up for adoption. My thoughts were ok I’ll be able to adopt him back but apparently that’s not the case. 

I went into UNANDERRA RSPCA 4 days ago to see if Riot was available for adoption yet but the  lady I was speaking to said, yes Riot is still there but not up for adoption yet as he is still under assessment. I then asked the lady about me adopting him when he does finally go up for adoption, or if I’m able to claim him back as I have saved up enough money to pay the fees for him to come home, and she replied I will never be able to own Riot again as I have no claim! I have no idea what she meant by that and when I asked her she didn’t explain it well enough for me to understand. I then asked well if Riot doesn’t pass the adoption assessment what will happen to him and her exact words were “ he will be put to sleep” 

Ive done nothing at all wrong and either has Riot so I don’t know why this is happening or why the RSPCA would rather put him to sleep then let him come home. Riot is my world and I will do everything in my power to get him home. 

Please can you help me, I’m begging you. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Best contact number is 0412110864

Thank you

Other information, The UNANDERRA go by his microchip name which is “CHOP” and his microchip number is 900032002960479

After 14 days of being impounded, a microchipped dog becomes the property of the Council, in NSW, so that's why they are saying you have no claim.  If I was you I would be making a lot of waves and  I would suggest you contact your local Councillor to see if they can help.  Be persistent!

• Like 1

I am a little puzzled, wouldnt they let you pay what you had and then pay the rest soon as you had the rest of the 300?  Doesnt sound like any chances were given you to pay it as you got the money, dont they do that?   Did you ask the council to accept what you had together and they give it to the rspca if they wouldnt take it from you? go to the papers and the tv fast as you can,  adverse publicity is not what they crave maybe that might save him for you............

have to admit I had to pay all they wanted in the one hit but was loaned the balance by friends when I had to find 600 with no prior warning how much they wanted, they had my boy for 13 days and refused to return him until they had tested him for anything they could think of in hopes of finding something wrong they could charge me with.  different scenario to your problem

Edited by asal

Sounds dreadful to me. But I honestly think getting the story out there publicly is the way to go. On tv and in the local papers. No business likes to look mean and everyone loves a happy ending so that’s what I’d do. ASAP

• Like 2

Hi, I think you should contact Current Affairs who would get involved to help you. And contact the paper, they like those kind of stories too and there are plenty of us who think it is outrageous what the RSPCA / Council is doing to you. Good luck. Cheers

On 4/1/2019 at 3:54 AM, FaithAlcock said:

Hi my name is Faith Alcock and I was the owner of a beautiful male bullmastiff named Riot. 

On the 1st of January 2019, my beloved dog Riot was found and taken back to UNANDERRA RSPCA. Still to this day I have absolutely no clue of how he was able to get out of my back yard as my fences are rather tall. At the time Riot was impounded I was completely unaware  of what had happened until 1 week or 2 later because I was on a short holiday. Riot was left in the care of my mother & sister. When I became aware of the whereabouts of my beautiful boy Riot I contacted the UNANDERRA RSPCA and SHELLHARBOUR CITY COUNCIL immediately. I also went into the RSPCA and identified him. By this time the fees were $800+ and being on the pension and  the sole Carer for my mother there was absolutely no way I would be able to afford that amount of money straight away. After I explained that to the RSPCA and SHELLHARBOUR council the fees were lowered to $300 and even that amount was still to much for me to pay in one hit. I tried absolutely everything in my power to try and come up with the money but I was unsuccessful. Since I wasn’t able to pay his release fees he now belongs to UNANDERRA RSPCA and now he is currently under assessment to see if he is fit to be put up for adoption. My thoughts were ok I’ll be able to adopt him back but apparently that’s not the case. 

I went into UNANDERRA RSPCA 4 days ago to see if Riot was available for adoption yet but the  lady I was speaking to said, yes Riot is still there but not up for adoption yet as he is still under assessment. I then asked the lady about me adopting him when he does finally go up for adoption, or if I’m able to claim him back as I have saved up enough money to pay the fees for him to come home, and she replied I will never be able to own Riot again as I have no claim! I have no idea what she meant by that and when I asked her she didn’t explain it well enough for me to understand. I then asked well if Riot doesn’t pass the adoption assessment what will happen to him and her exact words were “ he will be put to sleep” 

Ive done nothing at all wrong and either has Riot so I don’t know why this is happening or why the RSPCA would rather put him to sleep then let him come home. Riot is my world and I will do everything in my power to get him home. 

Please can you help me, I’m begging you. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Best contact number is 0412110864

Thank you

Other information, The UNANDERRA go by his microchip name which is “CHOP” and his microchip number is 900032002960479

There's nothing more to offer more useful than above, but I'm gobsmacked your sister or mother did not contact you for 1-2 weeks? If the RSPCA were even unaware he was gone (because the timeline is ambiguous), or that they didn't tell you (as the owner) they may believe that he was not left in capable care. Just a thought, playing devils advocate which may help consider what might help provide them comfort in discussions regarding ownership.

Did you adopt him from elsewhere? (curious, because his microchop is registered as 'CHOP'), could that have anything to do with the claim theory they tried to explain? 

• Like 1

It sounds like he’s gone into the red tape areas of liability.  I cannot imagine them adopting him out if they think he’s a liability but lawyers for animals might be able to help you out. Are there reasons you don’t think he will pass? 

The claim comment sounds to be about the reclaim time period. You have missed your chance for that by months. It’s gone and closed. But adoption might still be an option. 

While you’re getting this all sorted - any in person meetings ask them to write down everything they explain. This will help you remember the details and if you need to provide evidence in a claim. Especially if an aspect confuses you. Phone calls write down as much as you can remember at the time. 

If you can have a friend or even better one of the lawyers for animals - have them go with you both as emotional support and to help you talk with the rspca. Probably not the family members who lost him in the first place. 

I suggest calling up every other day - keep it polite and friendly and quick but this will help you become memorable to as many staff as possible since it may be a different person every day. Explain the reason you’re calling - you were on holiday and your dog got lost. You’ve come home to find he’s in the rspca and you couldn’t afford the reclaim fee at the time. You have saved funds for him but you’ve missed your reclaim chance so you’re hoping to adopt him when he gets through the assessments. 

Doing this will help demonstrate your commitment and have you stand out from the general crowd to the workers. It’s not a guarantee you’ll get him or have him scrape through assessments but it gives you an edge of being memorable. Plus when he does pass through assessments you will know nearly immediately through near daily calls and can get in to adopt him before he starts being advertised online and someone else might adopt him. 

Fingers crossed for you. 

Ps you should probably remove your mobile as anyone can see that member or not. 

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

No idea. The owner posted a piccy of her and the dog and said he is going home. 

Doesn't look like a bullmastiff to me... AmStaff cross maybe?

With regard to the name on his chip, is there a possibility he was adopted by the OP from some small rescue group (or BYB) who didn't put in the change of owner paperwork? Stranger things have happened...

T.

16 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Doesn't look like a bullmastiff to me... AmStaff cross maybe?

With regard to the name on his chip, is there a possibility he was adopted by the OP from some small rescue group (or BYB) who didn't put in the change of owner paperwork? Stranger things have happened...

T.

must have had the change of owner as he was listed as her dog, in her name and to her address, just no one was home when they rang,

remember.