Dogs in paintings - Mitchell Library

The Mitchell library has two paintings of kangaroo dogs on display. They are well worth seeing if you’re interested in the history of Dogs. There are also several other paintings with dogs in them, including one with a splendid tri-colour border collie. As well as the paintings, the library has a catalogue of the digital images, which you can use to zoom in to examine details.

Here is one of the kangaroo dogs:

http://digital.sl.nsw.gov.au/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?embedded=true&toolbar=false&dps_pid=IE9482784&_ga=2.263282319.261166646.1554492719-1292079201.1554492719

Beautiful.  And is anyone here old enough to remember Sister Wendy, the nun who used to do tours of art galleries for tv explaining with wild excitement the background, history, artistry of paintings?  When I saw this beautiful dog, I immediately thought of her and how she might talk about this lovely creature and the history around him.  

On 4/12/2019 at 4:53 AM, Loving my Oldies said:

Beautiful.  And is anyone here old enough to remember Sister Wendy, the nun who used to do tours of art galleries for tv explaining with wild excitement the background, history, artistry of paintings?  When I saw this beautiful dog, I immediately thought of her and how she might talk about this lovely creature and the history around him.  

Me too. At the time, her presentation style was a breath of fresh air compared with the stuffed shirts we normally saw talking about art either in hushed tones or putting their own importance ahead of the art. 

The picture is wonderful! 

• Like 2