What best to feed Border Collie Pup?

sheena

I pick up my new pup in a couple of weeks & by then he will be almost 10 weeks old.  The breeder has him on A La Carte Puppy which is 28 - 30% protein 18% fat & she is going to give me some to transition him over to hat ever I am going to feed him & yes, I will ask the breeder her opinion :)  It is 8 years since I had a pup & my last BC boy I raised him on Black Hawk Lamb & Rice adult food which the breeder was happy with & he grew nicely. Lately I have been buying Meals for Mutts & my adult boy is on the Kangaroo & Lamb one.   The M for M K& L says that it is suitable for all life stages, but is only 20% protein.  They also make a Puppy (turkey, salmon & sardine) one which I will probably buy unless the general consensus is to stick to the adult formula with the lower protein.  I am confused

Oh...& just because I know someone is going to ask......

20190405_152241 - Copy.jpg

Edited by sheena
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, persephone said:

Well, who's the lucky person then ? :) What a handsome face !  Not much help with the food side of things ..just grow em slow ...and have fun :) 

I am very excited :)  The breeder has recommended Puppy food for first 6 months then adult food....so I will go with that

• Like 1

@sheena    Lots of fun ahead!  It will all come back to you.  … 8 year gap for me too.    FWIW one of my dogs came on large breed puppy .. but only till about 14 weeks .. then transition to a lower %protein and fat .. I think along the lines of 'grow em slow and steady' and not too hyped.

My current youngster had been raised raw fed, so at 10 weeks I just continued that - although I cheat and use Big Dog BARF patties.  At Christmas this year I actually transitioned Rory over to the BARF patties too … not because I was at all unhappy with his Black Hawk kibble. but so that he could enjoy the Turdukken too (Christmas special).  I felt that his coat was looking even nicer on the raw, and he was still doing well in all other respects, so I've kept him on that now too.

• Like 2

I started Dash on Black Hawk (as per his breeder) but then 6 months later transitioned him onto Leading Raw BARF patties for dinner (He still has kibble for breakfast, which I don't mind continuing because I can scatter it for him to find or stuff into things etc). 

6 hours ago, sheena said:

Are barf patties readily available? Or only in the big cities?

Big Dog are available in our animal feed supplier, so you could check if you've got some fairly local.  Not sure about other brands .. think we're a bit limited down here .. but Big Dog do have quite a range of varieties.   Just checked BigDog website … shows Coffs (PetStock) and Grafton as within 35 km of you (think my memory is right ;-)).   So other brands might be availabler too.

1 hour ago, Tassie said:

Big Dog are available in our animal feed supplier, so you could check if you've got some fairly local.  Not sure about other brands .. think we're a bit limited down here .. but Big Dog do have quite a range of varieties.   Just checked BigDog website … shows Coffs (PetStock) and Grafton as within 35 km of you (think my memory is right ;-)).   So other brands might be availabler too.

OK thanks Barb.  I will check out Petstock

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sheena said:

OK thanks Barb.  I will check out Petstock

I get Dash's Leading Raw at Petstock (they sell Big Dog too). That's in Brisbane, but hopefully your closest one will have them too. You'll want some decent freezer space!

2 hours ago, minxy said:

I get Dash's Leading Raw at Petstock (they sell Big Dog too). That's in Brisbane, but hopefully your closest one will have them too. You'll want some decent freezer space!

Yes, we could fit a whole cow in our freezer..no worries there.  I thought it would be far more expensive than that, but really it is about the same price as a reasonable quality mince.  Only hope they use top quality ingredients in them

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sheena said:

@Tassie...according to the website out local Petstock should have them, so maybe I could give half & half.  The ingredients in the patties is very much the same as in the kibble

Some people do BARF for one meal a day and kibble for the other.    I haven't done that, so I really don't know.   I'd think it was probably better not to feed both types at the same m3eal .. but I don't know for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheena said:

Yes, we could fit a whole cow in our freezer..no worries there.  I thought it would be far more expensive than that, but really it is about the same price as a reasonable quality mince.  Only hope they use top quality ingredients in them

Have a look at their FAQs on their website.  They say 100% human grade ingredients … and given the sources t=of additional information they reference, I'd say you're probably safe.  And since it's raw and minced, there'd be a limit to what they could conceal.

• Like 1

I bought some Leading Raw patties for Puppies, but they are only 14% protein.  Is this high enough to feed to a growing pup?  I will only be one meal a day, the rest will be puppy kibble

Just checked by Big Dog box .. yep 13%protein.   But I'd say if you're feeding a high protein % kibble for other meals, that's not a problem.   FWIW,  ROry's breeder, years ago, had them on Advance Large Breed puppy until 14 weeks .. and then transitioned to a lower % protein as she felt her BCs were a bit too hyper on the higher protein  foods.    Pippa was fed raw right from the start, which is why I kept her on raw .. just not with me buying in stuff I couldn't fit in my freezer. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Tassie said:

Just checked by Big Dog box .. yep 13%protein.   But I'd say if you're feeding a high protein % kibble for other meals, that's not a problem.   FWIW,  ROry's breeder, years ago, had them on Advance Large Breed puppy until 14 weeks .. and then transitioned to a lower % protein as she felt her BCs were a bit too hyper on the higher protein  foods.    Pippa was fed raw right from the start, which is why I kept her on raw .. just not with me buying in stuff I couldn't fit in my freezer. :laugh:

I bought Cricket some of the Big Dog Rabbit & he loves it, but I added a bit of fresh fish to it to make it more of a meal.  Tonight he will get his kibble.