What best to feed Border Collie Pup?

sheena

For the first time in my life I have bought chicken necks.  It is always turkey necks that I buy.  Sometimes I buy chicken drumsticks if I can't get the turkey necks, but I feed them frozen.  I was going to feed the chicken necks to the pup, frozen to reduce the chance of choking.  Does not freezing for an extended period kill these baddies?? What about the raw chicken in the puppy food ?

1 hour ago, sheena said:

For the first time in my life I have bought chicken necks.  It is always turkey necks that I buy.  Sometimes I buy chicken drumsticks if I can't get the turkey necks, but I feed them frozen.  I was going to feed the chicken necks to the pup, frozen to reduce the chance of choking.  Does not freezing for an extended period kill these baddies?? What about the raw chicken in the puppy food ?

That question sent me on an interesting if somewhat scary little research adventure.   The short answer, depending on the particular species of Campylobacter is .. no .. reduces the number of them.   But another interesting piece of information is that most dogs cope with a small load of campylobacter .. which makes sense when you think about their evolution.  So if that is the nasty as the UMelb study was suggesting, there may perhaps be an added susceptibility in dogs that develop the APRN.

• Like 1

I always go back to thinking how dogs are able to bury a bone, be it chicken, beef, turkey or whatever & dig it up several days later & eat it with no consequences. My dogs eat all sorts of rubbish when out walking in the bush...all different sorts of poo, bird, animal or bat.  Cricket does get the runs on rare occasions after we have been to the beach .  I think I would be more careful about the choking hazard

Edited by sheena
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Tassie said:

That question sent me on an interesting if somewhat scary little research adventure.   The short answer, depending on the particular species of Campylobacter is .. no .. reduces the number of them.   But another interesting piece of information is that most dogs cope with a small load of campylobacter .. which makes sense when you think about their evolution.  So if that is the nasty as the UMelb study was suggesting, there may perhaps be an added susceptibility in dogs that develop the APRN.

You can't wrap your dogs in cotton wool, just in case 1 in a million has a reaction to raw chicken.  You just have to see the rubbish they eat when they are running free around the farm.  They need to build up an immunity to things & eliminating things from their diet could possibly mean a problem down the track when they get hold of some raw chicken that has been contaminated.  It is the same with people.  Now when we are pregnant we are told to avoid all these different types of food (it never happened in my days, we just ate what we liked & ate sensibly).  Now you have all these kids & young adults are growing up with allergies & sensitivities to certain foods. That's just my opinion, by the way...not backed up by scientific evidence, just observation :) 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 12:14 PM, Rebanne said:

It is a bit more then one in a million. As someone said, there's not a problem until there is a problem.

I have just had a good clean out of the freezer.  I am going to make chicken stock out of the necks & stick to the frozen turkey necks that the other dogs get.  Thanks Rebanne :) 

• Like 3

@sheena @Tassie The above is a good article. I have been feeding my two CKC Spaniels chicken necks from pup age. The occurrence of this disease is rare but since my dog became ill, I have heard of 3 other cases in our area. Some Vets say the pro’s outweigh the risks of feeding necks but after the stress (& expense - not everyone can afford tests etc) my dog and I have been through, I am unwilling to take any more risks. Re: the teeth, one of my boys has great teeth, one does not - yet they have the same diet. So now it’s cooked meats with plenty of veg - raw and cooked, small amount of cooked egg, some dry foods and water. Plus a good walk every day.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, juice said:

i see Costco is now selling raw patties, made by big dog but cheaper.

Unfortunately no Costco near us.  I did find these people online though that deliver to Coffs Harbour, but havn't tried them yet https://rawandfresh.com.au/products/multi-bulk-pack-dog

I am just a little unsure about the puppy patties that I am getting from Petstock, only being 14% protein which is the same as the adult patties.

8 minutes ago, Jumabaar said:

is the protein measured per weight on the patties (ie there is also water in that percentage) or dry weight which is more comparable to kibble as they have extracted the water. 

image.thumb.png.137fb7cc9390eb7d7536dfd3956c210f.png

Edited by sheena