Paralysed Dog

Tully

@Tully I have had several people, both here in Aus and OS whose dogs have had this contact me. Most have recovered well, some did have some residual lameness and a couple have died or been PTS. If the lungs aren't affected then the chances are very good of recovering from what has been told to me. I just threw out the question on some FB pages including some for my breed.

Hi, I am pleased to say Tully is recovering well after almost 3 weeks of paralysis. I have been doing physio twice a day on all limbs for about 5 mins per limb. Once we got through the first week without any breathing problems I was pretty confident he would be ok. Smaller meals of scrambled egg with veggies for breakfast  and cooked mince with veggies at night (pumpkin, carrot and Broccoli) so he didn’t get too bogged up. I kept track of his water intake approx 500mls a day. He actually got up and walked some steps on all fours today, I am so happy for my brave boy.

• Like 7

Just an update on Tully. His walking has improved greatly but unfortunately he now seems to be suffering depression and is off his food. I have to virtually hand feed him to get him to take anything whereas before, despite the paralysis his appetite was good. I’m taking him for a little walk in the bush on the tracks and hopefully this will raise his spirits. Also going to try some nutrigel. He is still toileting ok. Thanks for all your good wishes.  @JulesP @Rebanne @Tassie

Maybe try him on some of the Royal Canin wet pouches.  My old Giant (nearly 16) was going off her food.  I had some of the pouches for one of the other dogs & gave some to her.

Just 1 morning & night mixed in with her normal food.  She improved dramatically.  Even her walking was better.  They are chunks of meat in gravy.  Probably like Mars bars for dogs.  It made such a difference I have kept her on them.

I am not a great fan of RC  but I think these pouches are also designed to stimulate dogs appetite.

Maybe try short term as a pick up & to get Tully eating again.

Thanks @Deeds, I will give it a try. I tried boiled rice, cooked chicken and pumpkin which he usually loves but he only licked about a teaspoonful off my fingers. He will eat his denta stick at night though. His overall demeanour is off also - prefers outside to inside, stays on his bed, doesn’t get excited about a walk, pat or car ride, not even a small tail wag! He is a Cavvie KC which love attention so it is definitely a worry.

Is Tully on medication that could be making him feel sick? I use baby food pouches to get food into dogs that aren't eating. You can squeeze a bit of the food into their mouth quite easily. I just squeeze a bit on to the tongue (not down the throat!) and they then eat it. Sometimes if they get some food in their tummy they feel a bit better and will then eat by themselves. 

• Like 2

My girl Opal was definitely depressed with her illness (update: now much improved) and I think nauseated. Maybe a trip to the vet? One injection for Opal and she was back to eating within 12 hours and hasn't looked back

• Like 1

I would look at finding a good dog massage person ,bowen .
Whilst the exercises will be helping the whole body takes a massive hit at times like this increasing muscle  soreness.
My Dachie due to another issue took 9 long months to walk fully again ,depression,soreness,fatigue on the other body parts increased a few weeks after & that was a crucial time in looking after all the muscles