Obsessive behaviour help

Hey, 

So I regularly dogsit two bull terriers, one desexed female and one male (not desexed). Currently I am also dog sitting a small breed desexed male. 

the problem is, the male bully is obsessing over the other male. He follows him around everywhere and constantly tries to lick him. It's super annoying and he spends the whole night crying at the door where the other dog is sleeping. Hes just super restless. 
he's never done this before with other dogs. Any recommendations on how to stop him or calm him down. Obviously temporary things as it's not my own dog. 
thanks

My first thought would be management.  So changing the environment so the annoying behaviour can't occur … so depending on the set up .. that would likely involve babygating and/or crating and/or xpen.  If the behaviour annoys you, you can imagine it would annoy the heck out of the small dog, and as you probably figure, it's probably not doing the intact male any good either.  You could combine the physical separation (and more than just a door) with some enrichment/displacement activity for the entire male .. something lie a snuffle mat with smelly treats, stuffed frozen kong etc.   This would likely only be effective if the entire male was physically quite separated from the small breed male.

• Like 2

I gather you have contacted the owners regarding this issue & what steps they wish to take ??
Sorry but if your a pet sitter then you need to step up & deal with potential issues better than asking on a forum especially if taking multi dogs from different families that have never meet & you expect to interact .
I gather you have areas already set up for dogs in your care anyway especially for those that need a safe time out or don't get on so use plan .

The other dog may have a UTI or be ill but these things people on a forum can't help you with as your business agreement is between you & The owners

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dragonfliescantwalk said:

Hey, 

So I regularly dogsit two bull terriers, one desexed female and one male (not desexed). Currently I am also dog sitting a small breed desexed male. 

the problem is, the male bully is obsessing over the other male. He follows him around everywhere and constantly tries to lick him. It's super annoying and he spends the whole night crying at the door where the other dog is sleeping. Hes just super restless. 
he's never done this before with other dogs. Any recommendations on how to stop him or calm him down. Obviously temporary things as it's not my own dog. 
thanks

I'm a dog rescuer.  Similar rules should apply for dog sitters - don't take on too much.  My golden rule - to prevent any issues at all - is NO undesexed dogs here, ever.  They go to the vet for boarding until they can be done because it just causes problems.  The licking behaviour you describe is unacceptable for the small dog to endure and quite possibly frightening also.  It could be worse and end in a mauling or death - yes, i'm serious.  I can think of a dog minder in Sydney who has had more than one death.  

Please move either the undesexed dog or small dog now and if you cannot do that, then keep them separate at all times.

And safe dog minding (and rescuing) requires a huge amount of experience in dog behaviour which the average dog owner is unfortunately lacking in.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad
  • Like 3

The dogs need to be kept seperate at all times ...safety and peace of mind are paramount.
It is unfair on both dogs to have stress continually .
Perhaps speak with owners if you are desperate ..he may need a   mild tranquiliser if you can not remove the smaller dog .

BUT obviously the owners need to know . 

Edited by persephone