Puppy Becomes Hyper Active After Having Food

Jhunt

Hi Folks,

Hoping some one can share their views and advice on my situation.

We have recently got a German Shepherd female puppy, she is around 11 weeks old. 

Usually she is very calm  but every time she has a meal, she becomes very hyper active and starts running around the feet and tries to chew around the feet. 

Earlier we used to take a flirt pole and make her run in our back yard for 30 mins or so to wear out her energy.

Lately, we were advised not to make her run since it will effect her bones....which we have promptly stopped. 

Is it because of the kind of food that we are feeding? - We use Black Hawk with chicken and rice for Puppies Large Breed. 

Can any one advice how to handle her in such hyper mood?

Thanks in Advance.

Jhunt.

I wouldn't encourage running about madly straight after a meal... maybe if you can try doing some training with her, sit, drop, stay, etc? Exercise her mind with learning rather than running around... mind exercise can wear them out just as quickly... *grin*

T.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

I wouldn't encourage running about madly straight after a meal... maybe if you can try doing some training with her, sit, drop, stay, etc? Exercise her mind with learning rather than running around... mind exercise can wear them out just as quickly... *grin*

T.

In my experience they don't do half as much when you are not there as they do if you stay with them.

• Like 2

Totally agree about not allowing running round for a little time before and after her meals.  I am a worry wort, but I'm always conscious of the risk of bloat.   So my hyper BC girl has to have a calming time before meals .. then is fed in her crate and stays there for a nap for an hour or so after the meal.  She does have an antler or hoof chew in there to keep her amused, but more often, she actually naps.

30 minutes running round in one go, especially directed running round with a flirt pole or something like that, is IMHO way too much 'forced' exercise for a young puppy... highly likely to cause damage at some point.  Yes, they may go crazy zoomies on their own .. but that's more usually for a shorter period of time, and although it can be a bit scary, is being done at the puppy's own pace.  I tend to stop that after about 10 or 15 minutes max, and have an enforced break.

Totally agree with @tdierikx about the importance and beneficial effect of mental exercise through training and/or problem solving.  There are plenty of resources on the web for positive training with youngsters … have a look for the Wonderdogs on FB .. and Kikopup and Donna Hill on YouTube for a start.  The more you teach pups the more they can learn .. and it certainly tires them out more than physical exercise.i

Something else to consider and research .. the role of elevated cortisol levels in overstimulated pups .. it takes many hours for the cortisol levels (which can rise because of stress or over arousal of any kind) to come back down to normal.   So to teach your pup to relax and be calm and thoughtful is beneficial for everyone.

• Like 2

For most puppies there diner is there fuel ,How many times do you feed her & does she go over the top waiting for her food or waits calmy ??
I agree just place her outside & ignore or set a crate up where after meals is quiet time.

Chances are this was funny to the household at first but she's getting bigger & the novelty is wearing off

A puppy has several meals a day .. 30 minutes a time running around  each time with a flirt pole after meals  = a puppy who ends up trained to be a tad manic... where food is concerned   ;) 

I was always taught that eating leads to quiet time . 
So .. CALM feeding time - preferably with dog  not seeing food being prepared ... eating ..time outside to toilet ..then left alone , or, if trained for it ..in pen/crate/on leash  for a little nap  :) 

Think about baby puppies ... they are really active seeking a nipple ..they crawl/roll/ climb ..latch on, feed hungrily , then slowly stop ..their mum toilets them ..and they curl up & sleep . 
It's a dog's natural way of living...well , any predator really ... your girl may need to unlearn this habit now that you understand what she should be doing :)

• Like 3

Thank you very much for every one all for your suggestions. 

As I mentioned, I've stopped the running thing.

I am leaving her in the backyard after the meal; she plays for some time and comes back in to the house and goes for a nap.

I will be starting to train her with some professional help and hopefully will gain more understanding myself as well.

Regards,

Jhunt. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

@PANDI-GIRL Thanks for inquiring. Yes, she is doing great. I've trained her to be calm and eat on command when the food is placed before her. She's taken to it quickly and waits for command. I take her out for her to finish the business after her meals. I give a 10 min to her to play herself around in the backyard after which I bring he back inside. 

After returning from work I spend 10-15 mins patting her....she loves that. I've started to take her on walks in the evening for around 30 mins. She takes a nap after that. 

Initially she was a bit troublesome going into the crate...I had to sit next and wait till she sleeps. But now once she is in the crate she doesn't make any noise...sleeps and plays inside it.

I take her out once in the midnight for business and to drink water. 

I am taking her 

to puppy classed and she's taking very well with other puppies. So far its good. 

I have a query regarding BARF diet....will raise it in another thread. 

Thanks Again.

Jhunt.

• Like 3