Frantic weed eating

Octogenpleb

My 12 yr old Bulgarian Shepherd has started waking me up in the night to go out and spends half an hour or so frantically eating grass and weeds before doing a small badly formed poo and coming back in. She is eating normally, basicly 50pc green tripe with chicken carcass or lamb ribs/neck etc and treats I make from dehydrated lites. Since she is a rescue dog who spent her first few years on the streets scavenging, I am puzzled at this new behaviour and not a little upset as I need my sleep. Vet examined her and merely suggested no more bones!!!  Anyone experienced anything similar?

At her age , the diet may need to be adjusted to something  she can digest more easily ? Frantic grass eating is often a sign of nausea/upset tummy ...and while it MAY be food related , there also may be other things happening to an older body .Did the vet suggest blood tests or anything to check & see how her liver  etc is functioning? 
Does it help if you give her bland food liked cooked boneless chicken with a little sweet potato  ? 
Maybe ask another vet as well ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...