Gee, bad news for america.

asal

On 5/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, Maddy said:

If one or two major groups aren't doing the right thing, many smaller groups will follow, assuming it is the legitimate way of doing things.

I think that's a very important thing to highlight, because out of all the points of contact people get with major groups it's mostly going to be:

• Vets (who are hopefully very pro-vaccinations for international diseases etc)
  • Purebred dog rep bodies e.g. AKC, ANKC
  • Rescue groups / pounds

If those three start skimping on quarantine requirements, it's going to trickle down all over the place. But conversely, if they start promoting stricter requirements and demonstrating it - others will follow. Especially the latter two as the majority of where dogs are acquired from, and those latter two both move dogs across states and countries.

I read this blog maybe last month or something, and I thought they went into a lot of good points on the importance of recognising the health challenges and what can be done about reducing the spread.

https://puredogtalk.com/trafficking-in-deadly-diseases-from-foreign-rescues-pure-dog-talk/

I hope we can keep rabies out of Australia for as long as possible, alongside other diseases. But I think even with our "stricter" rules, it will get harder and harder as the whole world gets more global and more animals are shuffled about.

Edited by Two Best Dogs!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sandgrubber said:

Biosecurity is harder if you're not an island, especially if wildlife freely crosses borders and wild species are closely related to domesticated species. It'd take a substantial and uninterrupted wall to keep coyotes, raccoons, wild pigs, etc. from carrying diseases to the US from Mexico... or from the US to Canada. 

Don't point that out to Donald Trump. All those Mexican coyotes, coming into the US and stealing the jobs of hardworking, patriotic American coyotes, it's even more reason to build a wall.

@Two Best Dogs! I've often wondered if perhaps Australia doesn't have rabies (historically) because perhaps marsupials do not readily contract it? I recall reading that opossums in the US are the only mammal in North American not known to easily contract rabies, and the only difference between them and everything else is that they're marsupial. On a continent predominantly populated with marsupials, it'd make it hard for the virus to get much footing. Obviously though, with feral cats, foxes, wild dogs, rabbits, pigs, goats, camels, etcs, running around now, the potential pool of vectors has gotten a lot bigger. Perhaps big enough that natural sources (such as bats from nearby islands) may be sufficient for the virus to establish in northern Australia and then spread south. 

I'd like to think that being in Tasmania would make us a bit safer but honestly, given how careless so many people are even basic biosecurity (we are literally called the Apple Isle. We have many apples.You don't need to bring 5kgs of apples from NSW in your carry-on baggage, christ), I don't think it would take long for something like rabies to spread to us through tourists who feel the need to cart their dogs with them on holidays.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Maddy said:

Don't point that out to Donald Trump. All those Mexican coyotes, coming into the US and stealing the jobs of hardworking, patriotic American coyotes, it's even more reason to build a wall.

@Two Best Dogs! I've often wondered if perhaps Australia doesn't have rabies (historically) because perhaps marsupials do not readily contract it? I recall reading that opossums in the US are the only mammal in North American not known to easily contract rabies, and the only difference between them and everything else is that they're marsupial. On a continent predominantly populated with marsupials, it'd make it hard for the virus to get much footing. Obviously though, with feral cats, foxes, wild dogs, rabbits, pigs, goats, camels, etcs, running around now, the potential pool of vectors has gotten a lot bigger. Perhaps big enough that natural sources (such as bats from nearby islands) may be sufficient for the virus to establish in northern Australia and then spread south. 

I'd like to think that being in Tasmania would make us a bit safer but honestly, given how careless so many people are even basic biosecurity (we are literally called the Apple Isle. We have many apples.You don't need to bring 5kgs of apples from NSW in your carry-on baggage, christ), I don't think it would take long for something like rabies to spread to us through tourists who feel the need to cart their dogs with them on holidays.

From Wikipedia :

Experimental studies of rabies infection in the Virginia opossum have shown the importance of the mode of transmission. Opossums became infected when exposed to air-borne virus but were found to be fairly resistant to intramuscular inoculations.[16][17][18] 

On 09/05/2019 at 10:51 AM, Maddy said:

And let's be honest, asal's post was never really about biosecurity anyway. It was about her own issue with the RSPCA and any group she perceives to be animal rights or welfare.

Lets be stupid by all means. I meant ENTIRELY the bio-security risk

but you are so  one eyed SO cannot and will not see anything BUT what you do  want to see.

then accuse me of something that is not true to make your facts fit your vision.

All I  and everyone else who has learned the hard way, is that there be an avenue of appeal through an ombudsman, in the event of a dispute against the actions of special constables................ instead of the only present avenue of through the courts and guaranteed hundreds of thousands and in may cases millions wasted fighting for justice....

But you want your gods unfettered. they are to you, Infallible, like the pope ,  always right... the gift of being appointed by god.

no wonder you are incapable of seeing that any organisation let alone a so called "charity" operateing with no accountability for the actions taken by employees, no avenue of appeal, even override  a fully accredited holder of a University Degree of BvSc to demand the return or cessation of the slaughter of seized animals it's own vet can attest have nothing wrong with them.. Can enter and shoot any animal they so choose, even 131 if they so choose without avenue of appeal, actually not even any warning.(murray grey cattle stud and which court case they lost and 1.4 million damages awarded, BUT THE CATTLE ARE DEAD so nothing is going to bring back the dead)... Enter and shoot a lame horse and remove the leg for "evidence" leaving the body for the family and children to find, in the garbage was the injections and dressings wrapping the horse vet had only administered that morning.... THEY ARE NOT COMPETENT TO MAKE SUCH DECISIONS ON THE SPOT........... No psychological screening of employees to actually ensure they are sound of mind before they are handed "more power than the police" (direct quote from more than one special constable, incidentally) not that you care, gods on this earth to you long as they are wearing their badges..

I know none of that worries you one jot... any animal is better off dead isn't it by the comments you make.  That is the only way you can justify the deaths of animals whose vets (who have done years to achieve their BvSc Diploma,  believe have no reason to be killed, yet you believe these know nothing special constable have very right to kill the second they "form the opinion" to kill them.. that isn't even getting to the issue of the seized and later killed.... 

(why do Vet's bother doing all that study?, become an rspca special constable and you suddenly are an all knowing animal expert)  even when a magistrate finds you killed them for no reason,  and awards 1.4 million in damages against your employer...................still keep the job.

a vet would be out of a job.  odd that

Edited by asal

On 10/05/2019 at 6:13 PM, Maddy said:

I have no idea if they have been disbanded now our government has shrank CSIRO Animal Health into little more than a flake of its former size now. Accountants and office staff outnumber the scientists who actually made millions for Australia before being disbanded..........  so much has been disbanded.    CSIRO Animal health led the world in animal research, health and prevention.  With the latest information of the permit to export beef from America to Australia it is only a matter of time before BSE and foot and mouth arrive here along with goodness knows what, so many fruit disease's have already arrived since the level playing field arrived to achieve the vision of Australia as a player in the world economy, bio-security is no where near considered as important as free trade by the politicians of this country anymore..

There used to be sentinel herds, animals and plants in the top end to monitor for any incoming virus, bacteria  or other disease vectors entering.  Suspect like the closure of most of all the CSIRO animal health farms and facilities they too have been sold off.   It is a subject my family know something about as my husband, son and many, many of our friends worked for this once great organisation that was once the envy around the world for the calibre of scientists who worked there and groundbreaking research done for decades.

Even research as mundane as the correct antibiotic dosages for optimum efficacy so your vet can be sure your pet is saved..... and so, so much more.

Two  CSIRO employees, (coworkers with my family) decided to leave and tackle cancer research and have now formed their own company, the first to achieve remission in a mesothelioma patient .

http://engeneic.com/

This is our interest,,, science.....

EnGeneIC's lead technology platform, EDV™ utilizes antibody-targeted, bacterially derived, non-living "nanocells" to release high concentrations of chemotherapeutic agents, molecularly targeted drugs, and RNA-interference molecules directly into targeted tumor cells. In doing so, EDV™ nanocells enable current cancer treatments to be more potent and far less toxic, while also offering a potential new means for treating drug-resistant cancers.

"

Which means, not being fried inside your own skin, do not lose your hair, in fact none of the myriad side affects that happen with the present dosing of chemo direct into your body to fry every cell in your whole body as it does presently... These nano cells only target the cancer cells and do not damage any other cells in the body....

not the miserable scuttling little creatures ruining the lives of people they target because they are too dumb to even know their subject before they strike......but so far protected by their equally stupid politician protectors.

unfortunate to learn one day of their existence, stupidity and unaccountability for that stupidity, that is.

Edited by asal