Harness or Collar, what do you use for walks?

Mine randomly comes undone too . 

I made a comment to a friend this week when she posted a pic of a Dane she was minding with a prong on . They just leave them in in the US . 

• Sad 1

On 16/05/2019 at 12:40 PM, juice said:

I made a comment to a friend this week when she posted a pic of a Dane she was minding with a prong on . They just leave them in in the US . 

So does mine!  It has only ever happened when I've been the one to put it on so we have put it down to user error on my part.   I'm wondering if some of the links have less flex than others and when joining on that link my fingers are not quite strong enough to squeeze it tight enough to get the prongs all the way past the little curve they have half way down.

I would never ever leave it on my dog unsupervised or even if I was not at the other end of the leash.

My dog is an adolescent and still prone to a bit of exuberance and excitement so using the prong collar means he gets to come everywhere with us without it becoming an unpleasant experience for us, him or people around us.    We take him to cafes and restaurants and I also took him to my nephews soccer game the other week and whilst lots of other dogs were pulling and lunging against their leashes he just sat at my feet and we all enjoyed a nice morning out.  I even had someone comment that they don't bring their dogs places like that as its just too much hard work so the dog stays at home.   IMO being able to come almost everywhere with us totally outweighs any aversion to using a corrective tool.   Also I've put in on my leg to test it and it's uncomfortable at most, not painful.

We also walk in a fairly high traffic area and his impulse control around other dogs is a work in progress as he just gets excited and wants to say hi so the collar stops him encroaching on other people's and their dog's space.  It means walks are pleasant and not a chore and no one gets frustrated.

Edited by Malamum
Fixing an auto-correct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess humans can turn any device into something harmful, I lost track of the amount of customers with flat collars that were way too tight, harnesses fitted poorly and even put on twisted, abcessses caused by choke chains, head collars that had caused damage around the muzzle, even had an Airedale that had a hole burnt in his throat from a shock collar.

• Sad 2

@Malamum  Interesting. I have three prongs from Steve - K9.pro.  The first one I bought before he had the Sprenger brand. It comes undone in random places. Then I have two Sprengers. One also comes undone. Always at the same place even when I rearrange the links. That does my head in.  And the third one is absolutely fine. 

My three dogs are walked in a prong, a necktech and a flat collar.  As Steve always said to me - use the tool that works for you and your dogs. In my case I'm walking dogs with a combined weight of over 100 kgs so I like the extra safety of a prong in case we meet say a pussy cat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

So was it a genuine burn from the electric current or pressure necrosis?

The vets assesssed it and it was a burn, I’ve seen a lot of things working with dogs but this was a first.

This was probably about 10 years ago, I don’t know if the collars have changed much since then, I also don’t know if it was being used correctly.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Confused 1

I'd be suspicious the dog has an issue with the the metal from the prongs of the e-collar rather than a burn. 

Similar with prong collars, some dogs appear to be allergic to the metals, hence the reason you can now buy different varieties and obtain different plugs for the higher quality remote collars. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, t a i l s. said:

I'd be suspicious the dog has an issue with the the metal from the prongs of the e-collar rather than a burn. 

Similar with prong collars, some dogs appear to be allergic to the metals, hence the reason you can now buy different varieties and obtain different plugs for the higher quality remote collars. 

I find it difficult to believe there was a burn ... the prongs don't either heat up ..or shoot out sparks ...whichever it was , I hope the poor dog was OK, and its owners weren't . :(

On 5/16/2019 at 4:27 PM, Rascalmyshadow said:

I guess humans can turn any device into something harmful, I lost track of the amount of customers with flat collars that were way too tight, harnesses fitted poorly and even put on twisted, abcessses caused by choke chains, head collars that had caused damage around the muzzle, even had an Airedale that had a hole burnt in his throat from a shock collar.

E-collars can be good training tools, though they are not a silver bullet, and I'm sure there are fools who try to use them as a behavioral on-off switch (and fail). There is absolutely no value in a collar that shocks enough to burn...in most cases you want them to tickle, only.  I think most trainers would be fine with banning e-collars that give strong shocks.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the gentle leader harness.  I often get comments from people who has never used the gentle leader harness that’s it’s such a weird design because the lead attached and swung in from the side which is the whole point to stop them from pulling?

i find it works better for my two than just the regularly collar and leash

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My dog went through a phase of lunging at interesting things, just about pulling my arm out of its socket. I have been training leash manners in her from the very start, but there are still a couple of things (birds, other dogs) that are super exciting. I used a K9 Bridle on her on the advice of my trainer until she could control herself better. I don't like the thing, she doesn't like the thing, but it was never used as a punishment (no yanking from me) so she learned that it only tightened when she, herself lunged. Now she's 98% of the time controlling her own behaviour in just a flat collar, even when something is really exciting. I help her along by asking her to sit and focus on a high-value reward for controlling herself.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, juice said:

Some people do.  But in all the years I lived in US, I never saw it outside of the South.