Harness or Collar, what do you use for walks?

I use a Black dog front attach harness when walking Keisha (rescue American Pitbull terrier, 32 kg). After having spinal surgery 4 years ago, I really could not have coped without the Black dog harness, and I am just so happy that my dog behaviourist (Danielle Breusche) clued me up about them. Both of us (Keisha and me) are so much happier on our walks.

• Like 1

I think different tools for different breeds and coats.

i had never ever used a prong or an e-collar before having my current boy who is big heavy and has a big neck and a thick heavy coat.Our trainer proposed a prong collar while walking to stop us being dragged into traffic or me face surfing the gravel. I have been delighted with the near instant results. I tested it on my leg, my arm, my neck and was amazed to learn that it applies pressure, not pain. It has been a game saver and as someone said earlier it has enabled him to come everywhere, where as previously I was nervous to take him anywhere.

The e collar we used on the farm to prevent him bolting over, under and through fencing after wallabies and hares.

We tried every other system under the sun. Jails have nothing on our fences. However he would still get out.

Barely a week or two of appropriate training and now he stays away from the fences.

i am a complete convert for big dogs with big necks who will otherwise kill you and them.

on greyhounds I always used martingdales. 
on collies I always used fur saver check chains.

perhaps talk to a qualified trainer for their opinion relative to your breed?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Like so many things, it boils down to something quite simple..

You can buy a large flat-link slip collar for literally a couple of bucks.  And it will last forever.  I've lost a few over the years, but they will never wear-out, almost never break (usually a defective weld on the end ring if it does) and it will never go out of vogue.

All of which is an unmitigated disaster for the multi-billion dollar pet-accessory industry.  How can they exploit pet owners if they don't have something new to sell you every season?
And of course, nothing motivates like guilt.  The idea that you might be harming your dog if you're not using the latest fad brand-name accessory, is a powerful selling tool.
The problem is exacerbated because some well-meaning owners, by dint of their own stupidity , are irresponsible, and seek to overcome this by being indulgent.
I live in a beautiful area, dominated by large lakes which are surrounded by parks and nature reserves.  There are warning signs everywhere, yet I see idiots all the time exercising their dogs either off-leash or on those stupid wind-up things.

So how much do you love your dogs?
I love mine so much that if I had to, I would yank them off their feet and out of harms way.
For that reason I prefer a collar that I know they can't escape from, that will actually get tighter the harder I have to pull, and that won't suddenly sprong apart because its fitted with ease-of-use plastic clips.  I'll trust my luggage to those clips, but not my dogs.

• Like 1