Unplanned litter

Flick71

28 minutes ago, Flick71 said:

And thats what im afraid of, is them getting sold to the wrong type of people.

What's stopping a buyer not desexing one of the females and going to a vet and getting her AI'd to a pure frenchie, and then trying to selling the pups on as pure Frenchies.

Does microchipping avoid that happening, how do you include the cost of desexing in the price....

This is so confusing....

I'll be doing a lot of googling today i guess lol

Desexing them before rehoming will stop that possibility...

There are vets who will do desexing for a discounted price for people on pensions - the National Desexing Network - you can look up your closest one here... https://ndn.org.au/

Get Mum and pups desexed, then rehome the pups... easy!

T.

• Like 4

any vet should be able to desex the pups. Sell them for $500 each and that should cover the cost of vaccination, microchip and desex. Or give them to a rescue who will do all the vet work and screen the buyers saving your friend a lot of hassle. Sure he will be out of pocket but that's the price you pay when rearing a litter, even though it wasn't of his doing.

• Like 1

Thankyou everyone, I think that's the way we might go, surrender them to a shelter, like said the vet work will get done (something he can't afford as the vet bill has already stretched his limit and mine atm)

Then we will know proper homes will be found.

Also it wont let me post a pic, apparently the pics i have are too big lol

I appreciate all of your advice, the whole thing has changed so much since I bred labs many years ago.

I don't think i could do breeding again haha

Thankyou again from a complete novice;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flick71 said:

Btw mum will be spayed as soon as possible;)

Until then shes staying inside just in case lol

Cheers

She will come in season in 4 months time . (and if you bred labs you should know/remember this point) You have her now  with pups for another 5 weeks until they are weaned  ...then book her in to be speyed .

• Like 3

Please don’t surrender them to a shelter aka pound.  They will not be desexed, homes will not be checked, the pound will sell to the first person who comes along.  Try to get a REPUTABLE rescue group involved (don’t go anywhere near PetRescue - they are simply a website not a physical rescue group).  

There is a DOLer here called @yellowgirl who knows the rescue world in SA very well and could well be able to advise you.  I have messaged her asking her to come into this thread so see how she could help.  

Perhaps you could message her, too, @Flick71.   

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 2

Yes , pounds don’t always desex , depends on pound , and they certainly don’t check out who is buying them , it’s first in . Someone might go and buy them all , breed brother to sister etc , nightmare . A good rescue is the way to go , they will do all the work and check homes . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loving my Oldies said:

Please don’t surrender them to a shelter aka pound.  They will not be desexed, homes will not be checked, the pound will sell to the first person who comes along.  Try to get a REPUTABLE rescue group involved (don’t go anywhere near PetRescue - they are simply a website not a physical rescue group).  

There is a DOLer here called @yellowgirl who knows the rescue world in SA very well and could well be able to advise you.  I have messaged her asking her to come into this thread so see how she could help.  

Perhaps you could message her, too, @Flick71.   

Hi @Flick71, yes I'm pretty sure I can help you with this. Please message me. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Snook said:

@Flick71 I don't know if it helps but I've seen a lot of the rescue work @yellowgirl has done in the past and she's always put the needs of the dogs first and taken excellent care of them. She's also very careful with screening potential adopters. Although I haven't seen her for a while, she's still one of the few people in rescue in SA that I would recommend to someone needing help. 

I echo this 1,000%.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi guys

I have done some research and had a long chat to my friend. We have decided that we are going to sell the pups as Frenchies x's.

I have become a DACO breeder, as I need to be to sell them in S.A., they get vaccinated and microchipped in 5wks, then I'll be advertising them, probably on Gumtree.

To surrender to AWL or RSPCA in S.A. it costs $70, which covers desexing etc. which is fair enough.

This way i can screen homes for them and they won't be used for breeding, as they will have to be desexed at 6mths, being microchipped there will be a record. I can't see them taking long to sell. Then with the proceeds mum will be spayed.

I have mum and pups at mine as its easier for me to care for them. The two girls im supplement feeding under vet advice, as they are very small and struggling to feed off mum. Their boofhead brothers are hogs lol

I'm a little tired doing so much research, feeding etc. lol but I think this is the best option now.

The big shame about all of this is I'm quite confident they are pure frenchies, or frenchie x bulldog:(

Thankyou again;)

You can't make the new owners desex them. The only way to ensure this happens is if you do it. Not sure what you are talking about with the microchip. 

I also hope you are not going to let them go at 5wks. That is way too young. 8wks is the youngest they should go. 

Whoever you got the dog from is irresponsible for not desexing the dog prior to rehoming her. 

This entire story is extremely odd. 

• Like 6

Rehoming undesexed dogs (unless they are old and compromised healthwise) is NEVER the best option.   Rehoming undesexed fashionable breeds is virtually assuring more “unplanned litters” ..... and that is saying it kindly.    

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 6

Heads up, no matter how well you "screen" the homes you can't tell where the pups will end up. Some people will lie to you, some will have circumstances change down the track and some might do the best for their pets but they might be stolen/escape. Desex them now before rehoming. You worry they are pure Frenchie? They aren't. I'm sorry, without papers they are mutts, no matter what their parents are. 

The big shame about all of this is I'm quite confident they are pure frenchies, or frenchie x bulldog:(

The big shame is the original owner breeding dogs on limited register. This is why breeders insist on desexing before rehoming. :( 

• Like 4

yes, you will be bombarded with desex them before they go, who cares that early desexing will mean they will not grown normally as the puberty hormones will not be there to close their bones at the correct age, they will grow far taller and longer weaker bones and joints, not even their coats will be breed normal, their urinary tracts will not mature normally tend to be undersized and a significant percentage will be incontinent at an early age.... but hey their owner will have to deal that that problem...

go google early desexing.

apparently even tubal litigation and vasectomy at such a young age can be a disaster for  a percentage of puppies, but hey, just because some people dont keep their word and desex at the best age (after puberty) treat everyone as guilty and who cares what the puppies will suffer down their road of life.

one vet estimated early desexed dogs and bitches incur up to 7,000 more in vet bills over their life times, so nice windfall for the vet's anyway...

the race to be ethical, doesn't include caring about the minus effects on the puppies... your friends bitch is lucky, she will be desexed as a adult ... lucky girl for her future health.

Edited by asal

People lie and even send friends along to adopt more than one from a popular breed to sell on. You have no control , once sold they can do what they like. I don't understand why you won't work with a good rescue ( wouldn't touch either you mentioned with a barge pole). Yellowgirl offered to help, or are you after the money?

They wont be desexed by new owners and you cant do a thing about it. Odds are they will appear on gumtree for way more after you sell them or they will buy 2 and breed.

• Like 6

More BYB frenchies then asal. More to be bred from, more to go through the pound/rescue system or into the hands of your favourite orgs like the rspca. 
How do you think the mother ended up the way she is? She once had a breeder too. I bet she was originally born to someone who never ever predicted she'd end up where she is and 'trusted' someone.

Stop the cycle. :pray:  

• Like 6