Unplanned litter

Flick71

I'm asking for a friend of mine who purchased a female dog, not desexed, was told she was used for breeding.

Unfortunately a few months later, surprise theres a litter of pups. She was obviously mated before sold.

The problem he contact the previous owner as he didn't receive her paperwork, and told the breeder of the litter of pups. A week later he received the pedigree papers and they were limited pedigree.

So now he is worried that he is in big trouble after reading all the rules.

Any advice on what he can do?

if pups arrived a few months later then she was not pregnant when sold. Gestation is 63 days. How old are pups now? If the bitch was on limited register then the pups can't be registered. Even if the bitch was on full registration the pups still couldn't be registered unless  the bitch actually got pregnant to another fully registered dog of the same breed while owned by a registered owner and the stud dog owner was happy to sign the stud certificate. It is also possible it was an accidental mating that the original owner didn't know had happened. But it does depend on when the pups were actually born. A few months or a few weeks after the new owner bought her?

I'm not sure what you mean by the new owner being in big trouble? Are they a registered breeder?

The pups were born 7-8wks later from what I know, after purchase.

The new owner is not a registered breeder as he just wanted the dog as a pet.

The pups are now 3wks old, he's tried to contact the original owner but they won't answer his calls. As said the paper work sent out is limited register, which i know means no breeding or showing.

When I mean is he in trouble? Without the help of the original owner i understand he can't sell the pups without the bitch having mains register, and could get fines for trying to do so.

Honestly he just wanted a pet and felt instead of a puppy he would get an older dog. He had plans to spay her, she has not been in contact with any male dogs since being in his care as she is an inside dog and is with him 24/7 (he's on DSP)

It's all very confusing, is there a phone number he or I can ring to try and sort this out?

I'm not up to date with how it works either, I couldnt to find answers online, so I thought I'd try here.

Thankyou for replying

There is nothing stopping your friend from selling the pups. He just has to make sure the pups are microchipped and vaccinated before sale. If in Queensland he has to get a BIN ? number before sale. If in Vic he will need to get a PER ? number after 1st July but not sure if that is coming in this year or next. Not sure about the other states.

If your friend wanted to take this further he could make a complaint about the original owner with the state body ( i.e Dogs Queensland )but he is not going to be fined or anything by the state body. But they won't be able to issue any papers for the pups.

What breed is the bitch?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

I was wondering what breed the female was,  strange the breeder didn't  keep the mum while pregnant & sell the pups registered  

Might not have known the bitch had been bred but as the OP said the papers were limited then the pups couldn't be registered anyway. 

Edited by Rebanne
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Thankyou for all your replies, I'm not sure i am comfortable revealing the breed as i dont want myself or my friend ridiculed for possibly being niave....but he paid $3.5k for this dog, far too much in my opinion lol but she has become his best friend.

I will contact my state organisation, and see what I can find out, hopefully talk to a human lol.

I'm sorry I'm being vague, but I don't want it all blown out of proportion toward any specific breeds,  just in case there is a simple solution to this whole thing.

Hope that makes sense lol

Thankyou for all your help, hopefully this will be sorted soon and we can find good homes for these babies, if required we will surrender them. In the meantime they have been properly vet checked are being spoilt rotten

I'll reply when I know more

Cheers

• Like 2

I don’t understand why you think you will be ridiculed here . There are lots of good people here who will help and advise you . Your friend has done nothing wrong and can sell the pups as pets easily I would think depending on the breed and how common they are . The pups just needs vaccinations and chips . You don’t need papers to sell them unless you are after more money for them . 

• Like 4

Why do you need to contact your state body .

If he brought her as a pet and he’s not a member of any of the dog registries  he just needs to follow his state law and there sold as pets .

No big deal .

If he is wanting to pursue costs of the litter then head to small claims .

The state bodies won’t get involved as it’s a private matter.

The pups can not be advertised as pure bred  xxxxx  as you have no PROOF of what the father is/was. 
They are also not pedigree anything .
They are cute , lovable puppies  needing good homes , and you & your friend can start searching for such homes now ... remember to ask all sorts of good questions about health/training/desexing .
As said, puppies need to be vaccinated and microchipped  before going to their new homes  :)

• Like 2

The pups will definately be vaccinated and microchipped before being rehomed.

Mother is french bulldog and its hard to tell properly at this stage but they do look like mum and resemble photos of pups ive looked at on line. This is definately not about making money but in S.A. you can only sell puppies without papers for under $500....To me thats going to look weird when the prices ive seen on Gumtree are $3-5k.

I don't care if they are given away as long as they go to homes that are going to look after them properly.

Thanks again

As long as the buyers are aware of the back story of the pups they are buying so cheaply, what's the problem with selling them for under $500? Your friend will at least recoup the cost of microchipping and vaccinations (and hopefully worming treatments also). You only have proof that the mother is purebred/pedigreed (if only on limited papers), so pups can't be guaranteed same, as you have no idea who/what the sire was...

T.

• Like 3

They are very cute i must admit, I'd take one myself but I'm not a little dog person lol, I have a  rotti.

If they are advertised on Gumtree, do we just put them as Frenchies x.

As I prob said i dont breed dogs, this is all new to both of us, I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

Thankyou for being understanding, I appreciate your help guys

27 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

Add the price of desexing and have them done. You've got a breed that backyard breeders are loving because of the price tag and they will break their necks to get hold of cheap undesexed frenchies. 

They are very cute i must admit, I'd take one myself but I'm not a little dog person lol, I have a  rotti.

If they are advertised on Gumtree, do we just put them as Frenchies x.

As I prob said i dont breed dogs, this is all new to both of us, I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

Thankyou for being understanding, I appreciate your help guys

And thats what im afraid of, is them getting sold to the wrong type of people.

What's stopping a buyer not desexing one of the females and going to a vet and getting her AI'd to a pure frenchie, and then trying to selling the pups on as pure Frenchies.

Does microchipping avoid that happening, how do you include the cost of desexing in the price....

This is so confusing....

I'll be doing a lot of googling today i guess lol