Itchy dog

Personally I'd finish the course of preds, get a head start on any inflammation. :) Then begin the exclusion diet. If it's not food that's the problem there's always antihistamines or apoquel to try. 

Seeing them scratch a lot is quite distressing isn't it. :(  But you'll get to the bottom of it sooner or later. X

• Like 2

As mentioned exclusion has to be done with no meds.
How long with both courses has she been on pred??
Exclusion diets vary in the thought process ,many say kangaroo but yours already gets roo.
I would be inclined to go with the crocodile roll route for 6 weeks but during that time there is no bones,no treats no anything added.
After that time you slowly add a new food .
You can get a nutriscan test done that tells you food its likely to react too but ofcourse this based on food being the issue & it may not be .

When you clip her does she itch ??.

I would not use Apoquel as one of the side effects is increased Cholesterol & the drug works on suppressing the immune system .
Cytopoint injection seems a better option but i would still try food elimation first .

We have been involved with Minis since the very early 80's but have never had itchy skins .

You haven't had any mulch laid recently or walk near mulch?

• Like 1

@Dogsfevr The first course I think was over 2 weeks and this course is different. (Had to see a different vet at that time) With the instructions she gave it weans her right down over possibly the month. I guess as we were thinking low dose for a while ( until I got home and really thought that I wasn’t happy having her on it full time) I am going to talk with the vet again this week now that I have a bit more info and are getting my head around it all. 

We had discussed diet and she also mentioned the crocodile roll. Maybe I will. 

And no she doesn’t itch after clipping and haven’t been near any mulch either.

Obviously you know a bit about minis - as a normal diet, what do you recommend? Just totally curious and always open minded.

Edited by Kazm

On 5/19/2019 at 7:07 AM, Kazm said:

@Dogsfevr The first course I think was over 2 weeks and this course is different. (Had to see a different vet at that time) With the instructions she gave it weans her right down over possibly the month. I guess as we were thinking low dose for a while ( until I got home and really thought that I wasn’t happy having her on it full time) I am going to talk with the vet again this week now that I have a bit more info and are getting my head around it all. 

We had discussed diet and she also mentioned the crocodile roll. Maybe I will. 

And no she doesn’t itch after clipping and haven’t been near any mulch either.

Obviously you know a bit about minis - as a normal diet, what do you recommend? Just totally curious and always open minded.

Diet is a personal choice but your breeder would have given you a diet chart for your dogs but what many people do is create there own version of comfort food for the dog because it makes them feel happier instead of looking at the breeds requirements .
Good diet of essential fatty healthy acids,not likely to trigger pancreatitis & mindful of there naturally higher cholesterol needs.
Chicken whilst fine lacks the EFA required to fuel a dog so if you want to home cook then you need to balance it with organs & vege to balance where it lacks .Roo is low fat & often hard to keep weight on ,find it average for coat quality as well so again it needs balancing .
We feed dry,raw & veg to our Minis never had a skin issue .We don't feed Roo & chicken in small quantities .

That is a long time frame  for prednil especially if at full dose .You certainly don't have to do the full course but it must be weaned off correctly .Which colour is the tablets ??

@Dogsfevr Thanks regarding diet. The tablets are white. And the course of action was to wean her down to less every couple of days. We are now down to 1 every second day for 3 doses and then less again and again. 

My vet has come down with the winter bug so is not in today but I will definitely be talking with her by the end of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an aunt in the USA that has dog that is allergic to a lot of things.  When its allegies kick in, its quite severe and he will lick the area till its raw and sore.  She has tried many things and her vet recently put him on a new drug called apoquel.  Stops the itching straight away.  I looked at the drug on the internet and there are many side effects but she says he is not on it long term, just when there is a severe itching or licking - it works immediately.

Based on the information on the internet it's also a steroid.  I haven't used it on my boy myself so I can't give you my opinion but she swears by it and says this one is the most effective medication she has had so far... she's been through a number with her boy over the years.  Perhaps ask your vet for their opinion on this one?  I think the next time my dog flares up, I will be asking my vet too.

My boy itches as well, but i think its partially to do with dry skin as he is very prone to dandruff.  I put QV all over him and seems to help somewhat.  I also rub a bit of olive oil on his skin after a bath.  If anyone has recommendations for dry skin, i'm all ears.

• Like 1

Hi  @teddybeans  

What breed is your dog  &  how old 

Does your guy have fun licking all the  QV cream & oil off his body,   mine would :laugh: 

I use Alloveen  Oatmeal shampoo & conditioner ,   Smells great & keeps skin healthy,     Which shampoo do you use 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

Hi  @teddybeans  

What breed is your dog  &  how old 

Does your guy have fun licking all the  QV cream & oil off his body,   mine would :laugh: 

I use Alloveen  Oatmeal shampoo & conditioner ,   Smells great & keeps skin healthy,     Which shampoo do you use 

Its a schnauzer and he is 8.  Lol, no he hates the QV, wouldnt let me put on him and when i do, he wipes it all over me haha

Tried Aloveen, no good for him.  Smells great but doesn't do a thing.  I'm now using QV shampoo, seems to work better on him.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Thanks.  I've used this one:

https://www.budgetpetproducts.com.au/new/product/dermoscent-essential-6-spot-on-skin-care-for-large-dogs-20-40kg/2182/

Its smells great - terribly expensive.  But i don't think it does much.  Also tried flax seed oil, uesd for many years but stopped in the last two - those flax seed oil i remember were similar to the one you posted as I remember looking into it(though i have never tried the one you posted).  I'm not sure it did much either.

I may give yours a try then. Thanks for the tip.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 11:42 AM, Powerlegs said:

@Powerlegs my order arrived today.  I just want to confirm this is for ingesting? I just want to check, do you just give it all in one go with food. or feed half in the morning and half at night?

@teddybeans :)  Yes, for ingesting even though it looks gross lol. (They do a shampoo too which I hate the smell of.)

If it's not too much trouble, give half with a meal at brekkie and half at dinner while you're doing the loading dose. Once a day after that when you're down to the maintenance dose. And I just keep mine in the cupboard, it's quite cool in there. Keep it out of the sun so not on a shelf or anything.

Not sure but maybe it would go quite solid in the fridge?

• Like 1

I used it for the first time tonight, while i think the pump is convenient I would have liked the pump to be a bit longer .  I couldn't really fit the bowl under the squirter handle without tilting the bottle of oil.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on Molly. Obviously I have been working with my vet and she is very happy with our outcome. I have stopped all medication. I just put a liquid omega 3 supplement in her breaky each morning. I have changed her diet somewhat. Eliminated all chicken. Molly does not scratch anymore. And her coat looks amazing, her weight is perfect and she is bouncing around like a two year old. We actually have our annual checkup and vaccination next week so we shall see what the vet says then. I have been speaking on the phone with her. She only saw Molly when she was a very itchy girl. Touch wood everything is ok but obviously her irritations may  have been something else which has gone for now, (grasses, pollens etc) I guess we’ll only know in the long term. Happy for now. 

• Like 6