Setters

blueskies

Hi! I’ve checked in breeder listings at dogzonline and so far can’t find any, but in case anyone here knows of any...

Is there anyone at all in Australia or New Zealand, who breeds field type Gordon Setters??

Failing that, Llewellin setters (English), or Irish setters that also bred more for working than for show.

Or, failing that, anyone who breeds Small Munsterlanders?

My last girl was a field type Gordon. I love the breed and am really hoping to find another... unfortunately import fees are way too expensive for me to consider shipping a pup over.

If shipping fees are an issue then NZ won’t be an option .

Contact the working Gundog clubs .

There are working Irish breeders in WA and Vic defiantly,

ES I think are far and few between working lines .

Was a working line GS in WA but don’t think he’s had a litter for many years 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:34 PM, Dogsfevr said:

If shipping fees are an issue then NZ won’t be an option .

Contact the working Gundog clubs .

There are working Irish breeders in WA and Vic defiantly,

ES I think are far and few between working lines .

Was a working line GS in WA but don’t think he’s had a litter for many years 

It’s more import fees etc. Plus requirements of airlines, quarantine fees. I was going to bring a dog over from the states and all up it would have cost at minimum $6000 USD with a qualified and reasonable pet transport company. Actually more like $9-10k if needing the larger crate (Right now Qantas is the only airline legally allowed to import dogs from LAX to Melbourne. Airlines charge based on crate size. And only certain domestic airlines have room for the larger crate which means more modes of travel needed and extra layovers). This is not including the cost of buying a dog.

NZ would be much cheaper as they don’t require the import fee, all the other import legal requirements, are much closer, and don’t require quarantine.

Do you have any further info on the breeder who used to breed field Gordon’s? I’d love to get in touch.

Thanks for the tip on contacting gundog clubs.

On 5/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, JRG said:

Working Irish in Victoria and WA

if you want any more details, pm me.

Thanks! I did find one breeder that has Irish from working lines last night. But need to find out more info on their practices/protocols.

26 minutes ago, kamuzz said:

We have two English setters & there are definitely breeders here in Australia. Last time I looked there were two older Setters advertised here on DOL. 

Not many breed working lines which is what the OP is wanting ,in Setters there is a big difference in working lines  & dual purpose show/working

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2019 at 4:01 PM, Dogsfevr said:

Not many breed working lines which is what the OP is wanting ,in Setters there is a big difference in working lines  & dual purpose show/working

Yes but if you contact the breeders who are listed on DOL, maybe they can refer to you to someone else. 

I've been keeping an eye on munsterlanders, and unfortunately only the large in Australia at current. Unless you would be satisfied with a smaller sized large ;) 

The Pointer and Setter Field Trials (Victoria) are running this weekend, when the results come out you could scan the kennel names to get an idea of where to look?
https://victoriangundogclub.wildapricot.org

• Like 1