Woman dies after being attacked by her own pet dog

Panto

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/woman-dies-after-being-viciously-attacked-by-her-own-pet-dog-20190517-p51oa6.html

Woman dies after being viciously attacked by her own pet dog

Natassia Chrysanthos
By Natassia Chrysanthos
May 17, 2019 — 6.24am
  • An elderly woman from Sydney's south-west has died after she was savagely attacked by her own pet dog on Thursday afternoon.

The 72-year-old from Wilton suffered "significant" bite wounds and lacerations to her arms, legs and body when she was attacked by the large brown cross-breed, police said.

She was taken to Liverpool Hospital, but her condition deteriorated and she died while undergoing surgery.

The woman's husband, a 74-year-old man, was also attacked and bitten while attempting to drag the dog off his wife.

He was treated at the scene for puncture wounds but is in a stable condition, police said. The couple's son was also present but was not injured.

Police said they believed the couple also had other pet dogs, and had owned the large cross-breed for about three years.

Rangers from Wollondilly Council have seized the dog and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

That is truly terrifying,  what would cause your own dog to attack you so viscously?  

We don't know what the situation was - whether this was a dog who had resource guarding issues , or was maybe an entire male guarding females , or whether it was injured , whether it was being 'disciplined' ....or whether it may have been suffering a brain tumour . We may never know , although the husband will have his story to tell if & when he heals sufficiently.
The news clip said it was a large dog - and we know , with a large dog, a couple of bites in the wrong place is all it takes  :(

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Panto said:

Really made me sad to read this one. :cry: 

Cudos to the journalist who did not sweepingly name any 'close enough' breed in the article. 

The article says: 'she was attacked by the large Staffordshire terrier-Rhodesian ridgeback cross at her home'.

I'm against BSL, BUT breed does matter.  I've known a lot of pitties in the U.S. and lots of SBTs in oz.  Can't see much difference...both breeds are mostly waggy and friendly to people, often dog aggressive, and have a few very problematic individuals.  Breeding to a large hunting breed like a ridgie can go very wrong.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 11:01 AM, Panto said:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/woman-dies-after-being-viciously-attacked-by-her-own-pet-dog-20190517-p51oa6.html

Woman dies after being viciously attacked by her own pet dog

Natassia Chrysanthos
By Natassia Chrysanthos
May 17, 2019 — 6.24am
  • An elderly woman from Sydney's south-west has died after she was savagely attacked by her own pet dog on Thursday afternoon.

The 72-year-old from Wilton suffered "significant" bite wounds and lacerations to her arms, legs and body when she was attacked by the large brown cross-breed, police said.

She was taken to Liverpool Hospital, but her condition deteriorated and she died while undergoing surgery.

The woman's husband, a 74-year-old man, was also attacked and bitten while attempting to drag the dog off his wife.

He was treated at the scene for puncture wounds but is in a stable condition, police said. The couple's son was also present but was not injured.

Police said they believed the couple also had other pet dogs, and had owned the large cross-breed for about three years.

Rangers from Wollondilly Council have seized the dog and a report will be prepared for the coroner.

9 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

The article says: 'she was attacked by the large Staffordshire terrier-Rhodesian ridgeback cross at her home'.

I'm against BSL, BUT breed does matter.  I've known a lot of pitties in the U.S. and lots of SBTs in oz.  Can't see much difference...both breeds are mostly waggy and friendly to people, often dog aggressive, and have a few very problematic individuals.  Breeding to a large hunting breed like a ridgie can go very wrong.

That's not the point I was making - they have updated the article after I had posted it (quote from snip when I posted the article) - so it seems they did some fact checking, then updated the article, which is rather refreshing. Often, here on DOL, we are unhappy when breed is named and the dog does not appear remotely close to the breed in articles. I was calling out that in this instance, I found the journalism to be more responsible than what we have experienced in the past. 

• Like 2