Sign in to follow this  
teddybeans

Anyone has a dog allergic to vaccination?

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jumabaar said:

I recommend titre testing (checking to see if your dog has antibodies) rather than vaccinating so you know if your pet is good to go OR if they are unprotected. 

Thanks, my vet recommended this too.  But its expensive, and also i'm not going to vaccinate on him  again regardless of the result.

I have discussed this with my vet and he seem to be in agreement with me.  My thinking is so what if i find out whether he has the antibodies or not, all it does is maybe give me a bit of peace of mind but I can't really make a difference knowing the outcome.  If it comes up that he doesnt have the antibodies anymore, I wont be vaccinating anyway.  So i didn't really see the value of it. 

• Sad 1

asal   
3 hours ago, Jumabaar said:

vets should (and usually do) report adverse reactions to medications to the manufactures and the AVPMA. 

https://apvma.gov.au/node/309

I recommend titre testing (checking to see if your dog has antibodies) rather than vaccinating so you know if your pet is good to go OR if they are unprotected. 

Reactions to vaccinations are not common. And the most common ones is feeling a little flat (same as humans). 

Less common reactions which are more severe of course DO get a lot more publicity!! So they can be perceived as much more common than they are. I work in with vets offering eastern and western medicine so I tend to see more than I did when I associated more with western medicine because people who have experienced a reaction seek out eastern medicine and concentrate there!! 

I have not found a correlation between vaccine reactions and reactions to other medications, or the other way around. I do understand that it can be stressful when it’s your own pup! But Facebook and forums will be filled with proactive owners who are also seeking information and will confirm your worries disproportionately. 

The best way way to sort through this is to find a veterinarian that you trust and can talk to about your fears so they can discuss individual risk vs reward for any treatment. 

actually they rarely get publicity, well remember a bad batch of kitten vaccine killed over 300 before it was recalled. in the case of my litter it killed 8 out of 9 and the vet kept the survivor in lieu of the thousands he was going to charge me for saving her, at no time did he advise me it was not a fluke all mine died.

only found out when a friend who worked there at the vaccine supplier told me how many reports of fatalities before the batch was recalled, so the manufacturer did not tell my vet or he chose not to tell me. No idea if my kittens vet reported their deaths and bet even if he did bet he was not told how many had died all up before the recalled that batch.

because i didnt find out until over a year afterwards I had no way of sueing them for the deaths of my kittens and they were worth over 2,000 each so I lost $18,000 as everyone of them already had deposits on them...

nope they sure do not take responsibility, nor do our vets advise us either, in fact they charge US to save our pets that are affected, not the drug company... think on that next time it happens 

N I havent forgotten the litter of 4 beautiful chihuahua puppies all dead within hours of my vets locum overdosed them.  Yes he was fired, but even those vets have to carrry insurance, (no idea why) certainly was not offered compensation for four irreplaceable puppies.

I am always very aware that when I take mine in for vaccinations, any that die are my loss and no one elses.

Edited by asal

asal   
1 hour ago, teddybeans said:

Thanks, my vet recommended this too.  But its expensive, and also i'm not going to vaccinate on him  again regardless of the result.

I have discussed this with my vet and he seem to be in agreement with me.  My thinking is so what if i find out whether he has the antibodies or not, all it does is maybe give me a bit of peace of mind but I can't really make a difference knowing the outcome.  If it comes up that he doesnt have the antibodies anymore, I wont be vaccinating anyway.  So i didn't really see the value of it. 

my vet believes if more people titre tested then the price would come down.

at present it is way more expensive than vaccination.

the catch being if you opt for vaccination booster and your pet reacts then as my daughters friend discovered, it cost $7000 to save her cat after his 3rd bad reaction, the first time it cost $2,500 to save him, second time it cost $3,000 to save him.

curiously his vet didn't seem to realise perhaps vaccinating a now 18 year old cat after the previous two life threatening events might have been triggered by the annual booster they had been giving him?

Dogsfevr   

Titre testing isntexpensive,If your vet is charging stupid prices ask why but most do because it makes owners feel vaccinating is cheaper .

tdierikx   
4 hours ago, teddybeans said:

Maybe if you try the C3 only in 3 years time (or 3 years from his latest vaccination)... it is very uncommon for the C3 to illicit adverse reactions...

C3 covers the 3 biggest killer diseases in dogs - Parvo, Distemper, and Infectious Hepatitis - none of which you ever want your dog to contract. All 3 can kill your furry friend in most unpleasant ways. Even though we don't see Distemper or Infectious Hepatitis much any more, the very least you could try is a Parvac vaccine for Parvo only, OK?

T.

Look into vaccicheck. It’s much cheaper than the ones that have to be sent off to labs. You might need to go to another vet for it.

• Like 1

Rebanne   
On 5/31/2019 at 6:21 PM, tdierikx said:

Maybe if you try the C3 only in 3 years time (or 3 years from his latest vaccination)... it is very uncommon for the C3 to illicit adverse reactions...

C3 covers the 3 biggest killer diseases in dogs - Parvo, Distemper, and Infectious Hepatitis - none of which you ever want your dog to contract. All 3 can kill your furry friend in most unpleasant ways. Even though we don't see Distemper or Infectious Hepatitis much any more, the very least you could try is a Parvac vaccine for Parvo only, OK?

T.

yeah I did all mine myself with Parvac when we were going to be in an area which had a current outbreak of parvo.

• Like 1

tdierikx   
4 hours ago, Rebanne said:

yeah I did all mine myself with Parvac when we were going to be in an area which had a current outbreak of parvo.

The beauty of a killed/modified live vaccine... doesn't require to be administered by a vet... *grin*

T.

Jumabaar   

There are vets offering titre testing from $60 using vaccicheck. 

It is more expensive to send it off to certain labs. 

• Like 2

On 01/06/2019 at 1:52 AM, Papillon Kisses said:

Look into vaccicheck. It’s much cheaper than the ones that have to be sent off to labs

Isn’t vaccicheck also sent to labs?  If not how accurate?