Dental - to pull or not to pull

I assisted a dental on a 9 year old beagle cross the other day... she had a fair bit of plaque, but only one small pre-molar needed extraction. Her owner was so upset that her dog must have been in pain from that one small tooth... but we assured her that where that particular tooth was, it wasn't too involved with her eating, so she may not have really noticed any pain from it actually. All of the rest of her teeth were in beautiful condition, just had some plaque build-up.

As for bad breath, that can have other sources... not only from teeth issues. Some gastric issues will cause bad breath too. Best to get a thorough vet checkup (and full bloods) to make sure it's only from a bit of muck on the teeth and not something else more sinister...

T.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Best to get a thorough vet checkup (and full bloods) to make sure it's only from a bit of muck on the teeth and not something else more sinister...

His bloods were normal, I did get that done at the same time.  

But out you mention a good point about the gastric.  He has never been a chewer.  He just gulfs his kibbles down.  But I think it’s more teeth related, I haven’t noticed the smell after the dental extractions.

im also surprised knowing how many teeth were extracted he hasn’t been in much pain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it’s almost been two weeks since my boy had a bunch of teeth removed.  Stitches not completely desolved, but he has finished all his antibiotics about a week ago.  I noticed today in his water bowl, after he drinks water the water looks like it has saliva in it.  Is this something I need to be concerned with?

he hasn’t been complaining about pain and is going about his activities like business as usual.  No loss in appetite even on the day of surgery.

8 hours ago, persephone said:

I wouldn't worry...that's pretty normal :)

Sorry may seem like a silly question.:laugh:

I know of dogs (bigger ones) where the water bowl is full of saliva.  But my two never have this problem in their water bowls.  So got a bit worried whether there was an infection or something

Hard to tell just from that :)

Infection is more likely to produce pain, swelling, redness, smell,yucky discharge...dog not feeling 100%.

More saliva can be produced if there's a delicious scent around, or if dog is a bit warmer than usual....

49 minutes ago, persephone said:

Hard to tell just from that :)

Infection is more likely to produce pain, swelling, redness, smell,yucky discharge...dog not feeling 100%.

More saliva can be produced if there's a delicious scent around, or if dog is a bit warmer than usual....

Ok thanks.  He doesn’t seem to be in pain and I can’t see any redness or swelling.  I’m just paranoid then.:)